Fell Off, but have Saddled up again recently

fasting

( Keto-Peeps Rock! ) #1

Hi All :smiley:

So I fasted in the beginning of the year and abandoned that fast on day 10 due to detoxing through my skin (goal was 2 weeks).

But the fast in terms of hunger and mental cravings went so well, it was ridiculously easy! (To note that all i virtually did was read up more on Keto and Autophagy - these were still new concepts for me then).

I then proceeded to follow a strict keto diet from quitting on the 10th of Jan up until the 14th of February… my son baked cappuccino muffins on account of V-Day and i totally ate one without even thinking about it. :woman_facepalming:t2:

While on the keto diet, my eczema was GONE, my sluggishness & lethargy disappeared, even my Every Single Day Morning Sinus was nowhere to be seen.

I made the rookie mistake of eating bread also - my reasoning being “if you’re going to have carbs, you may as well have your fill…”.

The very next morning, my skin was broken out, my sinus was back. I felt tired - like i had a hangover. Safe to say that gluten is not my friend.

But of course, being a former Bread Lover, it was really difficult for me to accept. So over the course of the next month following that fatal V-Day, i tried to remain keto, but every few days i would fold and eat bread - telling myself we will try again tomorrow to pick up keto again.

Some “tomorrows” went great, most other tomorrows did not. Got so frustrated with myself and my weakness!! My skin started sliding back to how it was previously - burning and painful to touch anything (as my eczema is mostly on my hands). Sneezed my head off every morning. Too tired most days to do much. And from feeling sorry for myself, was all too easy to comfort myself with a stolen piece of bread.

So i decided to take on another 10 day fast to reset my mind (skin and will power) and get back to keto again.

Only problem is, this time its 103984x harder than the first fast. Started day 4 now (hour 75) and i am constantly thinking about eating. Drinking ACV & pink salt with my water in the morning. Probably overdoing it on the coffee on account of the hunger.

Will this get easier?! Feels like i am fasting for the first time. :frowning:

(bulkbiker) #2

Well you are effectively as the month long carb binge will have got you out of fat burning completely. Personally I would have done a strict keto for a month or two before the fast maybe with intermittent fasting too. I think you’d find it far easier and would be far less likely to fail.

( Keto-Peeps Rock! ) #3

I really tried to get back in to keto. I finally figured if i do another fast and “suffer for my sins” then i would be very resistant to eating carbs again!!

Just did not expect to suffer this much LOL

(Robert C) #4

I do not think it will get easier the way you are doing it.

• Physically, being deep in Keto (fat-adapted) makes fasting easier but, with bread intake at your level, you are not getting that benefit.
  • Mentally, after "yo yo"ing a few times suffering through targeted 14 day fasts but only making 10 days - your brain is not benefitting from feeling the success. Just a few days into a fast it is easy to start rethinking the whole thing.
    If you have a history of failures - you start to break.
    If you have a history of success (i.e. maintained previous losses - didn’t binge or eat bread at the end of the last fast and kept like 70% of the weight off) - it is much easier to keep your plan intact.

Something you might try is shorter fasts to work your fasting muscle and get some success under your belt. Start with true alternate-day-fasting - no food on alternating days and only normal intake on feeding days. 20 days of that (without bread!) will get you most of the same results as a 10-day fast.

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

Find a good keto bread. I was a baker of great sourdough breads. Had to give that up for being a healthy, smaller sized woman. Worth it. dietdoctor.com has several varieties you can access for free, the site is great, just some things are behind a pay wall. The recipes and carb count charts are free.

I think you should start with intermittent fasting, try 14/10 for a few days to gain some control then switch it to 16/8, and work up to 18/6, then attempt multiday fasts. They will be much easier as this routine will get you more into ketosis mode. Also try to keep within the 20 grams limit not 20 net while doing this. I’ve been down this road and it has good rewards at the end.

All the best on sorting yourself out.

KCFO

(Carl Keller) #6

I used to be in an abusive relationship… with bread (and starch and sugar). I loved bread but bread didn’t love me back. It made me achy and miserable. My sinuses were always messed up and the longer I go without it, the easier it is to just say no.

I hope you find the strength to love foods that love you back.

Don’t ever think of keto as punishment for “sins”. Keto is life-giving. Your punishment is bread. I know this because you’ve already told me. Your skin cleared up. Your sinuses cleared up. You felt better, less lethargic, etc.

I’m not telling you what could happen on keto, you’re telling me what did happen.

If you’re thinking about keto as punishment, then you’re thinking about it all wrong.

I agree with Mark. Eat strict keto for awhile, before you try another fast. I know you did 10 days, but that’s not the point. What you want is to have control over your bread cravings. Eat strict keto until you have your bread cravings under control, and then maybe try fasting again.

Above all, get the bread out of your house! It’s killing you. You just need to except that.

Keto isn’t your punishment, keto is your reward.

I wish you success, @Miranda13!

(Melora) #8

Don’t be so hard on yourself. It takes most of us 8 times of repeating something before it finally sticks. It’s not worth stressing over and raising your cortisol levels. I know, easier said than done. You got this!!!