Fell of wagon annoying myself and sick of food!

Ok so I am on week 5 and started to fall of track a bit and it is so annoying;

1. I didn’t meal prep and had to think about what to have so fell back into old habits and food delivery apps for last three days.
  2. I wasn’t even struggling on Keto, I felt full enjoyed the foods not really any craving (bar choc - hormonally but that was better than normal)
  3. This is the weird one I didn’t even want food, this I have noticed happening a lot the last week.

I fast 16:8 Anyway but lastly that has been more like 18:6 or even 20:4 as I have been extremely busy at work. This hasn’t really been an issue I not felt hungry and would eat 1 meal a day. But this is the issue I don’t want to eat. I’ll pick at a few bits, cheese, salami stick, olive or two and maybe some sf jelly and then I don’t want dinner. With no meal prep done I have returned to old habits when suggested by the wife with little encouragement. I think comfort eating. Like I said work been crazy. The other issue attactched thonis the idea of not eating or only having few picky bits in a day.
If this is how I feel, is this ok. Or can it be risky??
It feels weird the idea of not eating but instead I’m eating stuff which I can’t even work out the macros!!l and despite efforts I know it’s not good as scales show a gain.

Also does anyone else ever get sick of food, or just Keto but everything!?! Sometimes I feel like I have eaten so much in my life that I am over it I don’t want anything. This happens regularly to me and has for years. Just wondered if I’m alone or this is a thing.

Also any tips to get back on the wagon greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Why do you feel you are eating so much?

If you really think about it were you not eating more with refined carb foods throughout the day (but maybe the carbs were easier and more addictive to eat?).

I will give you my example of a bad high carb day (I need the reminder also today):

Breakfast: Porridge with syrup and semi-skimmed milk
Morning: Snack Bar for mid morning snack (20g of sugar)
Lunch: Large Sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar
Afternoon; Chocolate or fruit or snack bar
Dinner: Bolognaise with large amount of pasta
Evening: Milk Chocolate.

This was one of my very bad days, but it happened. Looking back at this I can see I was actually having to eat more often due to the sugar addiction and insulin problems.

I don’t doubt you and I would reach this point; where it was hard, where we want to give up, where we think it’s not worth it. But I expect we have both gained immeasurable benefits already; I don’t want to give these up.

The only option is to find some strength remind ourselves why we are doing this, experiment, change things, do new research and make this new lifestyle a permanent one in place of a lifestyle that was killing us.

If food isn’t appealing, then don’t eat anything. There’s nothing weird about fasting. Try not eating for 3 or 4 days (day 2 sucks, don’t stop there) and see how you feel. Fasting allows me the dietary flexibility needed to be sustainable for me.

Tracking macros doesn’t fit into my lifestyle (eating situations). I avoid eating processed foods and limit grains, legumes, dairy, but do not adhere to a VLC diet. Most days I’m probably at 50-75g, but that’s just a guess since I don’t weigh my food or use macro calculator.

There are many people on this forum who will never eat another loaded baked potato, piece of lasagna, slice of pie, theatre popcorn, or ice cream sundae. I’m not one of them. And thanks to fasting, I don’t have to be.

There is more than one path to the promised land. Find the one that works best for you.

(Terri) #4

You identified meal prepping/planning as helpful—I would get back on that and keep moving forward.

And if you are tired of food, I would suggest doing some extended fasting (making sure to keep electrolytes up!). But eating a little bit is venturing down the path of caloric restriction/starvation mode which will just do more damage.

And lastly, I would try to really dig deep about the positive reasons you decided to embrace this way of eating and any benefits you have found so far. Remembering your “why” and ways that your body is healing and improving might help get your momentum moving again.

“But this is the issue I don’t want to eat. I’ll pick at a few bits, cheese, salami stick, olive or two and maybe some sf jelly and then I don’t want dinner.”
I hate to say this but maybe this is the issue, “I’ll pick at a few bits, cheese, ( 4 oz :grinning:) salami stick, (more like 3 :grin:) olive or two (6 :blush:) and maybe some sf jelly (Jar of :grinning:) and then I don’t want dinner.” , Sick of food ?, don’t want dinner ? That’s because you have already eaten. Even without my outrageous extras :grinning: .Good communication from your Mind/Brain. Telling you, you need not eat anymore, not just yet anyway. Reading this sounds harsh, not wrote in that sense, just trying to help and raise a smile. Good Luck.

Lol, that’s a good point and I guess that’s was my question is it ok just eating this? - although by jelly i meant what I think is called jello in USA. Even the idea of eating a jar of jam (jelly) :face_vomiting: lol

Thank you for the comments on fasting over VLC that was my concerns not sure how one has impact but the other doesn’t . Think I will take the tip you and others have given of fasting when I’m not in the mood to eat.

What would you say is the lowest amount of calories I should eat on the days I do eat?

Thanks everyone.

(Terri) #8

I would go for close to your usual daily intake, fasting, or occasionally the lower intake. For example, there are programs designed around 5:2 eating/fasting where two days a week you only eat like 500 calories (I know that the overall emphasis here is not on calories, but this is what they advocate). This way, two days a week you are eating pretty minimally. But if you do that daily, you are just doing a big calorie restriction and pushing your body into starvation mode. Hope that makes sense.

(karen) #9

Lol. Yes, there is nothing like four days of keto-ade to make “boring” old keto foods exciting again!

https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/
If you read the above article or scroll down a bit their is a chart to work out how much protein you need.
I would say that would be a good sensible start point, make sure you eat enough protein. Simple, eat the right amount of protein and then eat fatty foods or vegetables to fill up. You can then modify your diet as you get on, so to speak…Myself… I like it even simpler.
I make sure I eat the right amount of protein which I get from meat and also eat cheese, eggs, I like heavy cream in my coffee. I might get flamed here but, breakfast, two eggs, two ounces of cheese, heavy creamed coffee. Dinner, whatever meat is on offer at the supermarket, steak, minced meat, pork, fish/salmon etc. I am never hungry, go to work each day or climb mountains. And drink plenty of water. It is red hot here in the UK, my fridge is mainly full of water and wine. Keep it simple and stick with it. It’s just a matter of changing you diet, you ain’t going on a diet, so to speak, just making better choices of what you eat.

(Jane) #11

Ain’t THAT the truth!!! :rofl:

What is keto-ade??

(Jane) #13

Electrolyte replacement while fasting. Some use expensive commercial products. A lot here (myself included) uses Brenda Zorn’s cheap homemade recipe.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #14

Yeah I’m cheap. Cheap as hell. Ask my boyfriend @NativeKetoMan