Feels like I’m dying after four days trying carnivore

(James) #167

In my experience lately, if I do start to feel lethargic, I try to eat anything that’s available with a high protein and fat content. I usually feel almost instantly better. Make sure you’re getting enough salt as well.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #168

TL;DR
I’m assuming somebody talked about how useless these are? When we are well adapted they might not show ketones at all. The very beginning, the first couple of weeks if there’s any color at all that means you’re making ketones and so you are in ketosis. But that’s the only thing they’re good for. The shade of color means nothing btw.

Thanks everyone all the comments have been very helpful

(Bob M) #170

I’ll counter that protein article with this one:

I think it’s much more complex than some proteins = glucose. I’ve tested my blood sugar using a continuous glucose monitor with ridiculously high proteins, 120+ grams/meal, 160 grams a meal, etc. and did not get a rise. And I set out specifically to get a rise.

(mole person) #171

That misses the point of what I posted. My whole point was that amino acids get converted to energy WITHOUT needing to be turned into glucose first. Further, the article you just linked says the very same thing:

“Since amino acids can not be stored in the body for later use, any amino acid not required for immediate biosynthetic needs is deaminated [nitrogen is removed] and the carbon skeleton is used as metabolic fuel (10-20 % in normal conditions) or converted into fatty acids via acetyl CoA. The main products of the catabolism of the carbon skeleton of the amino acids are pyruvate, oxaloacetate, α-ketoglutarate, succinyl CoA, fumarate, acetyl CoA and acetoacetyl CoA.” (H.D. Urquiza Hernandez, MD, PhD)

From the list above, oxaloacetate, α-ketoglutarate, succinyl CoA, fumarate, and acetyl CoA can all feed into the Krebs cycle, which is the process by which ATP (energy) is generated in the mitochondria. (In biochem speak, they are called “Krebs cycle intermediates.”) The carbon atoms from amino acids can be converted into these “energy precursors,” and the nitrogen atoms can be turned into urea (a waste product) and excreted

The sugar/carb cravings are a dead giveaway that you are still going through sugar withdrawal (aka keto flu). It can be very unpleasant, but keep your eye on the prize, it’s temporary. There are some things you can do to ease the effects, which you can find all over this forum and the internet by searching for keto flu.

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #173

Hows ur carinivore lifestyle? :sweat_smile:

It’s getting much better , still adjusting but no IBS symptoms which is a miracle. How about you?

(Kiranjeet Bhabra) #175

Hi havent started yet anxiety is quite bad pass few days…jus returned to my home town…will start on monday tryin LCHF for 1week then move into keto…wow no IBS thats v v good…:grin:

I agree that the modern incarnation of carnivore is new, but we do have examples of primarily carnivorous cultures in the past. Dr Weston A Price studied the Inuit and the Maasai. Both of which ate very little plant foods (what he was unable to find was an example of a healthy vegan population). A couple things they had in common were that they ate a high fat diet (Inuit was estimated to be 80% of calories from fat, can’t remember Maasai at the moment), they ate the whole animal and fermented some of their meat. The natives of the great plains were also fairly carnivorous, and they also ate a very high fat diet of bison meat and fat. We don’t know the effects of not consuming organ meat or fermenting meat. It is obviously not necessary to eat organ meat for a few years, but I don’t consider a diet to be successfully proven until we are into the third generation of people eating it. Low-fat has certainly failed that test. I suspect that the modern carnivore diet may be too low in fat for some people. @Lbomb how much fat are you eating? You might try ketogenic proportions within carnivore.

(Robert C) #177

Thanks for these well laid out thoughts on this topic (the three generations part seems right on)!

I don’t know if there are any generally accepted “rules” on Carnivore macro breakdown but - based on what we know about keto - I think this point is correct. I write this because I think the “modern carnivore diet” is (I think) being implemented mostly by eating steak with few nose-to-tail people.

I (above) was all over the map with responses but, I’ll try to summarize:

• Carnivore is probably good (short term) if you are battling some disorder (or weight loss needs that won’t even succumb to strict keto) and want to try it to see if it works (or want to use it as the starting point in an elimination diet).
  • Carnivore may be generally good (long term) if your 23andme report comes back and you are, in large part, Inuit, Maasai or (as with the natives of the great plains) can trace yourself back to a fairly carnivorous bunch of ancestors.
  • But, if you have no medical reason to try it and you can get weight loss with keto and your ancestors came from places with lots of easy to access fruits and vegetables during several warm months each year (which they took advantage of) then, deciding to go completely Carnivore forever is an unknown risk (so should not be promoted as an on-equal-footing WOE compared to the much better researched much longer lived keto diet).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #178

Can’t we all? I mean, the current theory is that our brains grew to their current size because we stopped being herbivores and began eating meat.

(Robert C) #179

We did well evolutionarily because we are omnivores.
We retained the ability to deal with both so well that some people can live well exclusively on one or the other.

My statement is about groups that preferred meat to the point that plant based food would only be eaten as a last resort.

(Omar) #180

polar bear can eat kelp, but I never heard any polar bear claim that he is vegetarian :blush:

while they may have found vigitables stuck to our ancestors teeth that does not say they were vegetarians and if we were vegetarian that is like one second in a 24 hours scale of our evolution day.

(Kristen) #181

It sounds like Keto Flu! It’s the worst! Pickle juice helps!! Also try supplementing in sodium, potassium, and magnesium! :slight_smile: it does get better though, I don’t crave carbs or sugar anymore and I’ve been keto for 1.5 weeks.

(Kristin) #182

Be careful with watching the scale as you build muscle. It’s probably going to go higher rather than lower. Find different metrics to track or you’ll likely get discouraged.

Hey, Im also a newbie, but Ive started twice. The first time my keto flu was lame but manageable… then I spent a week in Mexico… started again when I got back. A week into my second start, I was so sick I seriously thought I had the real flu. It was awful and I knew my body just wanted a carb. I drank pickle juice and pushed through it. It got better very quickly. But it was AWFUL
NOW- I am not hungry until noon (I wake up at 5am) and my energy levels are so high. I lift heavy 4 days a week and while I still bonk at the gym, I am hitting PRs and feeling good about my workouts. I can only assume they will get better and I will stop hitting the wall as Im only 2 weeks in.
I say stick with it, drink the pickle juice!!

(mole person) #184

Yah, I stopped bonking at the gym around the fourth week. And then I felt amazing. Further, there was an added benefit. Muscle soreness lasted only a fraction of the time it had pre keto.

(Chris) #185

5 days ago, please read the entire thread and not just the original post, when responding. :slight_smile:

Hi RobC. I recently had some blood tests done and have seen some big increases in my iron tests. I’ve been carnivore for approx 6 months, nearly all beef.
I hope you don’t mind me asking if your iron overload due to Hemochromatosis or from simply eating too much iron? I’m a little confused by it all. My Dr wants me to wait a few months to get retested and if still high then get the genetic test for Hemochromatosis.
I’m wondering if just eating a lot of beef could have made the difference alone or maybe I have the Hemochromatosis gene, I’m Irish and we have the highest rate of Hemochromatosis in the world.
My Ferritin levels are still within the lab range but have jumped massively since my last tests but my Transferrin Saturation is above. I know I’m not in the danger zone by any means yet but I want to manage it before any damage is done.
I think you are so right to say that people should be getting their iron checked before/during a carnivore way of eating, particularly those from high risk groups. It’s just not something I have ever seen talked about in the carnivore community but it a real potential health risk for some and as the symptoms are not particularly obvious until organ damage has occurred. If you have any further information/advice on this I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.