Feeling like a royal on this WOE

Have you ever thought to yourself, sitting down to your plate of food, WOW, I am so lucky, I feel like a royal on this WOE? And basked in the luxurious wholesomeness of these wonderful everyday foods? I certainly thought this when I sat down to have my beef and eggs, after a nice walk to the farm and home. To indulge in rich, rich dairy, delightful eggs, and eat animal flesh, it just feels like the most wonderful, but decadent WOE ever, and I feel so blessed to have discovered it. My body thanks me everyday for having made these changes and discoveries on my health journey. I am keen to learn more, explore more wonderful foods over time, but the simplicity calls to me like a siren still. Milk, butter, beef, lamb, eggs, fish and honey. And come summer and autumn I shall go pay a visit to local farms and pick berries and fruits🙂

I never forget how lucky I am, that this is a luxury WOE, allowing me to find my health again. But as we’re all different, some of us vegans and vegetarians, or pescatarians, we might all think of our WOEs in this way, and feeling blessed and grateful. How wonderful that we are all so unique, but share a journey to healing and fresh discoveries.

What is a decadent/luxurious plate of food to you?

I don’t know how a royal feels, my food isn’t luxurious at all - but in the sense you say, yep. I am happy to eat 10/10 food very, very frequently. Not like I hadn’t do the same on every woe this far, I am a hedonist and not a super choosy one :wink: At least not choosy in a way that getting what I want would be hard :wink: I do have my own brand of choosiness especially now :wink:

I show you my special, not every day but not very rare (though not all slabs are the same and my actual state matters too) 10*/10 food. Good timing, I still have leftovers of this amazing bunch:

Pork chuck roast, cold. Feels perfection. It would be perfection from the nearby pig farm but I already can’t imagine enjoying a food more than this. It’s already dangerously tempting sometimes! And just the right fattiness for me… Amazing.
It’s too fatty for my SO (sometimes he can eat some leaner parts if they are present) so it’s mine…

Even if I ate super delicious, nutritious food on every woe, it definitely got better when carbs didn’t dilute the richer flavors :wink:
And I never ate much meat before.

Hi Shinita, nice foodpic, I love munching on cold leftovers too from our big roasts, it’s surely decadent🙂I agree with this, that because of the simplicity of our WOE we don’t have a lot of unnecessary foods and ingredients diluting the richer flavours, and so because we enjoy our foods to the max, not to mention they are bio-available, it is easy to think of them as luxurious, I certainly do. The most decadent plate of food I can think of actually are lamb chops, or a rack of lamb. But I didn’t have that. But if I could eat rabbits and deer like you can, that would certainly also be decadent. I would also love to eat pidgeon, or pheasant. I haven’t tried a great variety yet, but I’ve got time🙂We are lucky to live near farms, though not all farms are affordable, but I would like to support them if I can. There’s a lovely farm just outside my village, offers grassfed cow, lamb, venison and water buffalo, I’ve never tasted the latter, but when my birthday comes around, that will be my birthday treat. But I would meanwhile like to try their organ meats, we might make it into something fun, I’m sure my boys would love to visit that place, and they could get some sweet treats from the bakery that neighbours the butchers, there’s also a teashop. My SO wants to try their sausages, and I’m sure my youngest would love them too. He’s a major sausage fan!

I always think it’s important to remember being grateful as we enjoy our precious lives, day to day, moment to moment, our rich, nourishing food being such a great part of it! We don’t know what the future has in store, but we have the here and now, which is a blessing🙂

It’s so odd to me to see that even ancient recipes have so very many spices and vegs… I just don’t need any of that. I only use salt on my fatty pork because I can’t imagine anything could make it better… But everyone (normal people, I mean) seems to think we need rubs and sauces and spices, vegs galore… I understand we are different but the difference is so very great! Strange to me. I surely wouldn’t work a lot with those (for me very unnecessary and often even negative) additions…
I think carnivore made me even more lazy…

Haha Shinita, me too, on the lazy part. I love the simplicity of eating 1-ingredient foods only, I only add salt, I hate pepper, which my SO loves and sprinkles on all his food. I do like to combine 1-ingredient foods sometimes such as beef and eggs. And I think it’s a good idea to pair organ meats which I understand taste somewhat sweet? With some other meats. But simplicity yes, that is the luxury, and why I suspect, with all its bio-availability, the food tastes so good.

I loved pepper and used on many things… It stopped with carnivore.
While plants are very tasty too, they need more additions than meat, at least sometimes…

I pair organ meat with eggs, usually… I pair leaner meats with fattier meats, like fresh ham with sausage… I can imagine liver with fatty pork, I am sure it happened in my life, I can’t skip a month if it comes to liver and I usually eat it way more frequently. My amounts “improved” too, I easily inhale 400g in a few mins when I am in the mood. And it’s bad as liver is way too nutritious. But my body didn’t complain me and I do my best to minimize my liver intake. So many other organs to eat even though I only like a few.
Some organ meats are sweetish (I definitely felt that when I first tried beef liver) but most I tasted weren’t. Heart is normal, tongue too, chicken and pork liver may be a tad bitter but it seems much depends on the cooking…? They are both quite strong flavored but that’s fine if one likes that liver flavor… Sometimes I am not into it at the moment but other meats or some sour cream help.

I just brought home some lovely meat from the pig farm. Pork loin, pork shoulders, a heart and some smoked ribs, I had to taste it despite not being hungry at all yet, it was amazing! And very cheap. Most smoked stuff aren’t cheap but ribs (bone) and hock (skin but I can eat that) are very cheap. Half the price of the cheapest beef. And it’s lovely smoked farm pork!
Here (my terrace table looks horrible and I can’t do anything with that apart from putting something on it. let’s say it gives it a rustic environment…):

10*/10, again but it’s even from the farm I love and trust and everything so maybe 10**/10…

And I have thought I am fine with the (way more expensive but without bones) supermarket ham :smiley: That isn’t a bad stuff, I chose well but this is on another level!
The smoked ham of the farm was almost 3 times as expensive, some had a bone and Anna (she sells stuff in markets and their shop, she and her husband own the farm) said it’s rare even for them to have this aged stuff. But we already had ham and anyway, I LOVE smoked ribs and it was so cheap too… Oh I will buy it so many times in the future :smiley: Not even super salty!

I told my SO about this thread and just like I thought, yep, the not right kind of persons (I mean who aren’t as enthusiastic as us) may find us too much :smiley: He definitely feels so and he didn’t even read our comments!
I am glad I can enjoy and be so enthusiastic about food :slight_smile:

I always longed for simplicity even if I often fail epically at that. But I won’t give up. And as time passes, I get better, not due to practice but I change, I play with certain new items (that I didn’t eat on vegetarian keto), I have a phase and then they drop… For years, I couldn’t just eat pork day after day, I got bored of it. In the beginning my daily average meat intake was way lower too. I think I can do simpler do but it will require some effort, I am used to eating many different things for a meal…

I want changes in April.

Hi Shinita, that sounds wonderful getting your favourite meat from your favourite farm🙂Nothing wrong with enthusiasm and wonder in our WOE, and a quest for wonderful discoveries. Food is such a big part of life, it’s sacred, I always feel immensely grateful for the food I eat, my SO and I say our thanks before we dig into our meals. Thank you for being so descriptive about the organ meats, that helps, as I’ve never actually eaten any myself. I think I’ll attempt the beef liver, and if it lasts me 3-4 days, that would be brilliant. Of course I don’t know how long fresh organ meats typically last, unless frozen, in the fridge? Or how much liver I can buy. It’ll be an experience. Like you, I like changes, my body went off pork and chicken, and now all it wants is beef, and lamb/mutton. But pork used to be my favourite meat. I never thought I could live without that fluffy texture of whipped cream, but don’t miss it at all now that I have my raw milk. I am on the search for a good quality raw cheese, as I believe raw dairy is just better for me. I would love to make my own raw butter and cheese from the raw milk but I would probably need to buy some fancy equipment and watch some youtube videoes (and experience a lot of trial and error - aka waste precious raw milk) so it’s probably better to buy raw cheese and butter if I can find them at affordable prices.

I like changes, and trying things. My body is my barometer to health, always. It has the last say. It loves the honey I’ve added to my WOE even though it is a very modest amount. And it loves the raw milk I’ve been chugging. And I am thinking now after 6 months on a ketogenic WOE of testing my insulin sensitivity by incorporating some fruit, which would make it not carnivore or ketowore, but much more the animal based WOE Dr. Paul Saladino currently promotes, though the carb amounts would be tiny compared to his, as (1) I’m a woman (2) I hardly have any muscle to help me burn the food, and I don’t surf for 2-3 hours a day. So, at most, one fruit of some choice a day, and to vary it. It’s something I’d like to try. I feel life is too short not to have such experiments, from time to time.

I fry 0.5-1 kg liver at a time. Rather 1kg as I simply can freeze it fried too and then I have some liver ready to eat for later. And 1kg easily fits my pan.
I don’t really store fresh meat, maybe for one day and then I cook it or put it into the freezer. Fried meat lasts… Forever from my viewpoint, I simply can’t manage to spoil it, apparently. It gets eaten earlier (or I put it into the freezer but that’s rare). Meat stuff is special. Veggie dishes only last for about 4 days, meat dishes are better, at least my roasts and fried things :wink: The odd thing was when I had at least 9 days old broth mixed with 8 days old rabbit stew liquid/jelly and it was still fine. The latter even contained onions… Wow. And I definitely feel when things spoil. It was simply still good.

I do experiments all the time and I don’t even need fruits for it. Actually, fruits kill my experiments, I just go too carby and I already know that is no good for me. Only occasionally, for joy. Theoretically I could do carby experiments but on carbs I just don’t have the discipline for it. Not like I ever have discipline but I actually have some inclination to stick to a realistic idea for one day.

Hi Shinita. I wonder if I cooked/seared 0,5-1kg beef liver and kept it in the fridge it could be eaten cold? I enjoy cold fatty meat cuts all the time, but maybe with organs, it’s different. I’d love to get beef heart or ox tongue, but will have to see when I pay the butchers a visit what is available and to which price. It will probably just be liver I’ll get, but for my birthday I’m getting deer or rabbit, I’ve always wanted to try both.
I love variety, but really like simplicity too, and I tend to make things I consider good and wholesome into habits. We’re all different, all taking unique paths as our bodies show the way even though we share the healing journey, but feeling enthusiastic about one’s WOE and food is definitely a good thing.

As to new experiments, I am seriously considering now quitting coffee. But it might just turn me into a zombie.

I can eat cold fried liver just fine but I can eat almost anything cold :wink:
Tongue is very good, it is closest to normal meat among all organs I think… Some organs have an odd texture (at least compared to muscle meat), others have a flavor not everyone likes and I even understand it (liver) but tongue is really good if you ask me. I managed to get bored of it eventually but I really enjoy it if I only have it rarely. The same with liver but I need to eat it rarely anyway as it’s way too nutritious.
Rabbit liver is way too mild, I eat it because we get one with every rabbit we buy but it’s just a mild flavored little thing. If one dislikes liver flavor, they probably don’t feel it in rabbit liver. It’s closer to being tasteless than tasting “normal” liver. But maybe it’s just me, we all perceive things differently and I do like liver so maybe I don’t notice things a liver flavor hater could? Just like I don’t feel anything too eggy as I love egg and it’s normal for me to taste egg in nearly everything as I put it into nearly everything…

It’s another day, I woke up and after some time I remembered I have wonderful pork. And this thought pleases me greatly even in my very satiated current state. Whenever I will get hungry and eat some, it will be good.

Variety and simplicity can go together just fine. To me, simplicity means I don’t eat many different items for a meal… Or many different dishes as I can make so many things from eggs…

Coffee doesn’t make me more awake at all, I have no withdrawal symptoms so it’s safe for me to quit.
Sometimes I wonder if people depending on coffee but being without coffee are like me all the time? I am a morning zombie and it’s usually quite serious.

Hi Shinita, coffee doesn’t wake me up either, I just really, really like the taste of it and it being warm, it’s like a treat, I don’t think it has any benefits. So today is my first day without some. We’ll see what happens. I might get some withdrawal symptoms, I might not, but I only began drinking coffee when I started a ketogenic WOE. Before that I was drinking green tea, but I just don’t fancy it anymore.

I am like you in that it makes me happy to know I have lots of good food, my pasture eggs and beef, in the house, and my raw milk and honey. Oh, and KerryGold. It just makes me happy. And even when I’m not hungry I’ll think to myself, I’ll make some beef burgers/patties later, like I did yesterday. They were so simple to make and delicious.

And I’ll start to plan next week’s shopping and think I’ll buy some lamb. So food becomes such a big part of our lives. We plan meals, we think about all the different foods we’d like to try, without actually craving anything. I am debating with myself what fruit to incorporate into my WOE, mango was my favourite food of the past and I always did well with it, so perhaps that will be my choice next week. Then I might buy 2 organic mangos, and eat a quarter everyday, and build it up to a half, so they would last me 4-5 days approx. When I think of fruit I think of two things, the lovely vitamin C content (though mango is also high in other vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients) but also, more importantly for me, energy. Whether I’m insulin sensitive enough to handle the fruit like I currently handle the raw milk and honey, it will be interesting to see. But as to blood sugar spikes, neither drinking raw milk, nor eating raw honey gives me that, and I remember how it felt when I did have blood sugar spikes. I remember the effect of processed, sugary junk food, like a cup cake. It never felt good. So it’ll be exciting to see how my body will assimilate the fruit.

Enjoying it is a huge benefit but during the years it became a serious addiction (even if I don’t get withdrawal symptoms when I quit, it’s annoying when I don’t), a way to procrastinate and it’s not even so enjoyable if I overdo it… And it costs a surprisingly much money even using weak, cheaper coffee. For a thing that does me no good, actually, at least. Amounts matter, I always say.

So I go for a no coffee April but even my almost limitless optimism isn’t enough to think it will be a complete lack of coffee in this month. It’s fine, I am not against the occasional lovely, creamy, luxury coffee at all. I just don’t want to drink it all the time, from the morning until bedtime (though I rarely drink coffee at night. it happens but it’s rare. it’s computer and lots of water time then).

I expect the feeling of missing something, variety in my drinks, specifically. But I should be able to handle it. I use all the tea I have (it doesn’t feel tea have a plural with s…) except the wild cherry one that is half raisins :smiley: Oh, that stuff is super sweet, I don’t even drink it ever.

I totally forgot I can drink warm water… Oh. I will.

Yes it’s good to know we have supplies, today I merely referred to the quality of my pork that made me happy but I feel uncomfortable when my supplies are low too. I never ever run out of meat anymore (it happened in the beginning… but things changed a lot anyway, it’s easy to get meat locally too now so I don’t need to pack my tiny freezer with meat once a month when we do our big shopping in the city) but sometimes I only have 20 eggs and that doesn’t feel good.
Now we have 98, borderline anxious as Easter will come and I am not sure I can get some if I need… But no, I can eat more meat for a while… It will be fine.

Mango is one of my fav fruits. Despite eating about 5 in my whole life… It’s hard to get it on sale (or not but I forget to check) and I have my own fruit… But I even liked artificial mango flavor in everything.
My fruit for April is clear, lemon :slight_smile: Very useful flavoring and it’s sour. I love sour and I barely can use any on carnivore. I only have vinegar in my mustard and I use way less of that too…

I watched some videos about GMO and organic, according to that it doesn’t really matter but they said tons of vegs and fruit are healthiest too (I tend to believe the former statements and not the latter that I know is wrong for me)… But I don’t care either way, I buy food I can afford. And farm meat here is great. And no way I buy normal eggs ever.

I don’t have that kind of willpower with mangos… Or it depends, it is so very flavorful but half (my share as I have my fruit-lover SO) is plenty, last time I put some into the freezer for later. Fridge isn’t good enough, I need the extra barrier :wink:
The tartness of the fruit gives me energy, the sugar brings me down and make me hungry, sugar is like that. But a little is nice. Not until June though :wink:

(David Cooke) #13

You butcher a cow that’s what you’ll be eating for a week or two. Adding spices gives variety and really isn’t all that difficult. While the meat is cooking I’ll chop up moringa, garlic, chilli, + pepper, salt, trumeric, finger root and cinnamon (out of the garden, dried, ground and mixed) Not a big deal and very healthy.

Hi Shinita. I’ve tasted many mangos in my life. And some were delicious, and some were terrible, both tasteless and kind of oily, if they’re somewhere between insipid and sweet, bland, that’s not good either, there’s got to be zest, that wonderful combination of sweet and tart, if too tart it’s not yet ripe, I’ve eaten them that way too. But it’s got to taste good of course for me to enjoy it, and because I only plan om having a quarter everyday, but to truly cherish it, I’ll feel cheated if the flavour is horrible.
Yes, Shinita, we buy what we can afford. I am very happy with my raw milk and pasture eggs from our farm, and my KerryGold butter, which I use as a treat, a few lumps on a plate. But I buy conventional ground beef, and conventional lamb, nothing with a label organic or grassfed. I can’t afford buying grassfed muscle meats, organ meats, perhaps, we’ll see. And anyway, the ground beef is very good, and versatile, and good value, and my body loves it, so I can’t complain. Today I got hungry, I tend to eat two meals a day, so I had planned my first at 11am, but then the stove stopped working as I had tripped a switch. My SO fixed it later, but he wasn’t around just then, and I had no clue that that was the problem. So I had no cold meat in the fridge. Everything bought fresh and planned to cook up today and tomorrow. So, basically, out of better options, as I’m not going to eat raw eggs or raw meat anytime soon, I turned to the cheddar cheese. Cut several blocks off it. And my body really doesn’t like it. I react completely different to conventional pasteurised dairy than to raw grassfed dairy, which makes my body sing. My body is sensitive to foods, so it tells me what it likes, and what it doesn’t. And I think I’ve become a lot better, since starting a ketogenic WOE, to listen.

Hi David Cooke, we are all different. Some us like simplicity. I love all my 1-ingredient foods. The only thing I add is salt, and it all tastes wonderful to me. But people I know love variety and that’s fine too, so long as your WOE is making you and your body feel good it’s all good🙂

If I ate beef (not butchering one but buying it, yes it’s different…), I would starve almost all the time due to the cost. Not my ideal woe.
And I would get bored of it in 2 days anyway. Unless it would be dire necessity, I am adaptable!

What. People eat moringa? I have no idea what that is, I only know it is a smell in cosmetics…

Cinnamon is dessert spice, it doesn’t come near my meat. Except when it’s in my mustard or some spice mix, IDK how they do it but I don’t feel its existence so it’s fine :slight_smile:

Variety is quite personal I am sure. And you pry my precious several eggs a day from my cold, dead hands!

A cow is more like for a year. It’s a big animal. It may be not fatty enough for that but I can’t eat much more meat than that, thankfully!

I watched videos about mangos, from someone who was lucky to taste many in different places… They sound super varied and amazing but I am quite happy with a normal one every few years already.
I only ate one kind, they were all good and tastes the same. So I always can expect the same from mangos bought here. That’s nice, being consistent. It’s not like that with oranges, for example… They can be dry, too sour, not enough sour…
It’s almost never ripe enough but it ripens later so it’s fine. I hid it and forget about it for a while…

I hoped I can wait until 3pm with my first meal as I tend to eat way earlier on weekends, 3pm is a good late weekend first meal! But I am better than that. I am already hungry but it’s fun to push it now and it’s not bad, only was bad while walking. Whenever I exercise anything around mealtime, I get quite hungry. Now that I am sitting, it’s way better.

Oh poor you. I have two induction cookers, an oven (a mini grill, actually but it’s big enough for serving as a proper oven. I always buy the biggest one) and a microwave oven though the last one is not a good idea to cook meat, I would go out and use open fire instead… That’s good for blackouts too… As far as the weather allows it but I would figure out something. So if I have raw meat, I can eat (cooked) meat.
But I like to keep ready to eat food in my freezer, to be safe. And there is my emergency tinned fish as well.

No way I could eat a ton of cheese… No matter what kind, it can’t be my main food. I would fast in the case you found yourself. But I like and very frequently eat raw eggs. The whites whipped… It’s not nearly enough for my main food either but I always have this and that.
And if I must, I can eat the carby food enough for months in the house… We like to be prepared but it’s convenient to have serious supplies anyway.

Shinita, if I was lucky enough to live near someone who raises rabbits and sells them, I presume, for an affordable price, they are £10 each at a butcher I’ve seen, then you are fortunate indeed, and to have the chance to eat deer, that’s too expensive for me to buy. You don’t need beef when you have so many wonderful animals to eat. Do you eat game? I would love to eat game, but my SO and I would have to learn to hunt, and we’re no hunters, game is too expensive at the butcher. Which is why I am looking into buying organ meats instead. I’d love to try beef tongue or heart, but I’ll probably just get the liver. And I’ll see if my youngest will like some too, he’s fond of his beef🙂

Deer is game, mouflon too. I can’t afford ruminants in general, deer is a rare treat for me. But it’s fine, I really love my pork and other cheaper options. I had about half a year without ruminant meat before we found game in a hypermarket… Beef was expensive already and it doubled it its price along with several of our staples while our income barely changed.

Oh, you have game at the butcher? The local ones don’t even have beef! Just chicken and pork.

Hi Shinita, the butcher I am considering to buy from, they don’t list their prices online which is a worry, sells grassfed meat from their own 100% grassfed cows, lamb and water buffalos. And they sell venison and game. But what their prices are like is anyone’s guess, so it’ll probably be a very occasional (birthdays) treat, apart from some of their most affordable cuts (I hope) How expensive can beef liver be? Anyway, I believe liver is so nutritious that probably one can get away with eating less. I think that way about everything. I don’t think about value, but about the quality, and that I would rather eat less of something really good than a lot of something my body doesn’t like. Now that has nothing to do with whether my food, like my beef, is grassfed or not, it’s all in the taste. And the ground beef I get from Aldi that tastes so good to me, I’ll be buying 4 packs next week, is the non grassfed, conventional kind. But my body doesn’t complain about the difference. Now a steak, I can count the times I’ve had a steak on one hand, it’s too expensive. And I couldn’t believe the prices in my local shop, for conventional beef and lamb the prices are the same as if I had purchased them grassfed from a butcher. So I avoid buying meat from that shop, though I do get other essentials. But that shop has ridiculous prices. £4 for a box of icecreams, just packaged poison, but my boys loves them. What child doesn’t? And I was thinking to myself when I saw it I could probably buy a reasonable amount of grassfed beef liver for that price (unless I’m just wishfully thinking).