Feeling "high" with high readings?

(Erica Ramirez) #1

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, but have been doing a very low carb, Atkins Induction style diet for 5 weeks.
I got my Keto Mojo about a week, 10 days ago and love testing…trying to get to/stay at 2.9 blood keto reading for maximum weight loss, which brings me to my first question (Google isn’t helping). Does weight loss slow down if I am 3+? I typically force myself to eat or change my routine to keep my number from going over 2.9, is that necessary? I like to have black coffee with coconut oil in it first thing and wait until about 1-2pm for my first meal, but if I wake with a 2.9, I usually force myself to eat and have my MCT coffee later, to keep my numbers right.
Secondly, I feel very strange, kind of elated or something, once my numbers get to about 2.6. It’s not a bad feeling, but when I’m around people, I feel like they notice and maybe think I’m taking something LOL!!! is this normal or is it a sign my numbers are too high?

(Jay AM) #2

Chasing numbers is an effort in futility. Having higher blood ketone numbers does not tell you much about utilizing ketones just like using urine strips doesn’t say much about ketones. It also doesn’t tell you how much fat you’re going to lose. The only real use of testing is, “Am I in ketosis?” with a yes or no answer.

And, that high feeling could be a number of things from the ketones, increased mental clarity, electrolyte deficiency, dehydration.

(Bunny) #3

Your burning coconut oil (dietary fat) not body fat!

(Erica Ramirez) #4

Thanks. I have been waking with 2.9 and not able to have my my coffee until later, only if my reading drops to closer to 2. Today, it never did. If I have the coconut oil it goes up over 3. Do you think it would stay in my system days, maybe I shouldn’t eat it at all, unless higher is better, as far as weight loss goes…

(Mandy) #5

I had this “high” or elated feeling my first 2 weeks. When I tested, my ketones were above 3. I attributed this to my body not being used to ketones at all. It was a very good, happy feeling but I feel like it’s a byproduct of wasted ketones my body wasn’t able to use. I could be wrong but I only have brief moments of these feelings now, a few weeks later. Not that it matters but my ketones have steadied to an avg of 1.2 or so. For me, it feels like my body has gotten more efficient at using ketones and does not produce an excess any longer.

(Bunny) #6

Look at your glucose numbers? The lower the blood glucose and the lower the Ketone blood readings are? Chances are you are probably burning your own fat at that set point. I use very little (1 teaspoon) MCT oil (Bulletin Proof Coffee) in contrast to the leafy greens I eat at a 1:1 ratio! People get crazy with the fat ingestion thing, that’s why they see no weight loss\fat oxidation if they are sedentary compared to an active lifestyle! YOU actually release the HGH and maintain a steady supply of it throughout the day from sleep which converts into IGF-1 from the liver rather than the pancreas; what actually burns the dietary fat or your own! Fatty acids are oxidized into ketones (the after math).

Nutritional method:

When the glucose is at a steady 70 that’s when I eat; always use the second drop of blood to make sure fingers are clear of surface area particulates (or you will get crazy readings) that’s why I test twice with the second drop of blood method!

I also use two glucose meters some times just to check for accuracy!

(Jay AM) #7

Please provide the science?

(Bunny) #8

I have provided that numerous of times just use the search function my dear?

(Erica Ramirez) #9

The testing is better motivation for me than the scale! My glucose is around 80 first thing in the morning. I plan to begin testing glucose a little later due to some info about dawn/cortisol raising glucose. We’ll see about that. I keep protein below 75g, net carbs definitely below 20, but fat is all over the place - looking through myfitnesspal, anywhere between 50g - 100g.
I typically don’t eat after 7pm or before 1pm, unless I am really feeling the high ketones. The weight is dropping off quickly, so there’s not really anything to change yet, other than if the high feeling with the high readings are a concern.

(Bunny) #10

Keep in mind half of that is water weight (as you may already know) and to keep potassium, sodium and magnesium levels optimal while doing keto! Don’t mistake that “elated/high feeling” for a deficiency?

(Jay AM) #11

Unless you’ve made a specific topic sharing your science on high ketones meaning that one isn’t burning body fat, then the search function isn’t a solution here. You’d remember how to find your own posts on the topic whereas anyone else will be looking for needles in haystacks. If you have made a specific topic, I haven’t located it.

The one thing I can agree with is that coconut oil and MCT oil convert to ketones quickly and well. This of course doesn’t mean utilization. But, someone fasting can have quite high ketone levels at random and, in the absence of coconut oil due to fasting, they are definitely burning body fat.

This is why chasing ketone numbers isn’t a great down pat science. People are individual and have different tolerances, metabolism, etc. You could consider cutting out the coconut oil and see if that helps with the high feeling.

(Erica Ramirez) #12

Yeah, and probably more for me, I retain water so badly when I eat carbs/sugar
So today was a good day, food wise 68g protein, 54g fat, 18 net carbs. No MCT (coconut oil). Started feeling like I was “high ketones” so I just tested (should be done eating for the day). 3.7 ketone reading and 84 glucose. Ugh. So, I am going to eat something to get back into the fat burning ketone level instead of starvation? Theraputic? level (have seen it called both online). Thats my main question, would I still be burning the same amount of fat at a 3.7 and 2.9? Or is it fine/better go be higher (speaking only of weight loss)

(Bunny) #13

I have researched this to death and know enough about this to explain it in a nutshell; it is left to the person to do their own research to figure out what I am talking about is true and correct? You probably have no idea how long it would take to figure out the science of this without my two cents!

Not only that I could provide a laundry list of sources and research to back up every word I’m explaining within seconds!

(Ron) #14

I don’t know how scientific but interesting none the less.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #15

It sounds like you are timing your feedings to your ketone testing results.

I think you’re placing too much emphasis on these numbers. There’s only one basic question. Are you in ketosis or not. In the early stages before you are fat adapted, the ketones will mostly be wasted, so it won’t matter if you change up whether you consume MCT oil or not.
A dip in ketones will take place naturally once you become fat adapted. The best way to that is to stick to less than 20g carbs, moderate protein and eat fat to satiety. Try not to snack and it doesn’t hurt to get some exercise if you feel up to it. But chasing numbers is pointless.

(Jay AM) #16

It seems this is a trend for you when someone asks for sources. You become evasive or share none and then pull out your “trust me I know what I’m talking about” schtick. All I asked for was what information you had available and find it unfortunate that all you wanted to do was be defensive.

This whole forum is about sharing information. I wasn’t rude, I didn’t attack you in my request and simply wanted to read your sources for myself. I didn’t realize that my request would be so unreasonable. I will end this particular discussion here and not respond to you further so as not to continue derailing this topic.

(karen) #17

Just out of curiosity - this is for everyone, not just keto mom, why is 2.9 the best for weight loss?

(Bunny) #18
  1. Optimal ketone and blood sugar levels for ketosis:
  1. Will monitoring my blood sugars help me enter ketosis?
  1. “…IGF-1 is a primary mediator of the effects of growth hormone (GH). Growth hormone is made in the anterior pituitary gland, is released into the blood stream, and then stimulates the liver to produce IGF-1. …” …More
  1. Growth hormone or insulin-like growth factor increases fat oxidation and decreases protein oxidation without altering energy expenditure in parenterally fed rats.
  1. Metabolic Actions of IGF-I in Normal Physiology and Diabetes “…In type 1 diabetes, IGF-1 synthesis is markedly impaired and in type 2 diabetes. …”
  1. Fat and the Ketogenic Diet:

How Much Fat Do I Eat on a Ketogenic Diet?

Today, we’re going to talk about something readers ask me about pretty consistently, which is how much fat to consume per meal on a ketogenic diet. I have the answer for you!

There’s a lot of theories out there about this, but I have an advantage—tons of patients I can kind of experiment on and survey to confirm, for certain, what works and what doesn’t.

Of course, I’ve been doing the ketogenic diet myself for years, and I’ve learned a lot along the way.

Some people seem to be under the conception that with ketogenic diets, the more fat you eat, and the more fat you will burn:

THAT IS A MYTH

So don’t just turn up the coconut oil bottle like a diet cola and glug away.

If you eat too much fat, you will be burning off only the dietary fat you consume, not burning your own body fat, which is the ultimate goal for most people.

With the ketogenic diet, however, your purpose is to eat very low carbohydrate, moderate protein, and higher fat—NOT LOTS AND LOTS OF FAT.

What I’ve found is what works best is a diet of 0 sugar, unlimited vegetables, and between 20 and 40 grams of fat per meal.

Are Ketogenic Diets Safe for Your Heart?

I wanted to address the issue of fat and heart health first. When it comes to fat and the heart, people are very concerned because we’ve been told, historically, that fat causes our arteries to clog and hurts our hearts.

So patients ask all the time whether or not ketogenic diets are SAFE. The answer is YES. A keto diet is safe for the heart. In fact, ketogenic diets are not dangerous at all if you do them CORRECTLY?

See, IT IS NOT actually fat that clogs your arteries. IT IS THE SUGAR, and there have been countless studies done that confirm this.

This is because added dietary sugar is metabolized into triglycerides[1], which leads to the increased production of LDL particles which clog the arteries, leading to plaque build-up and atherosclerosis. …” …More

Footnotes:

[1] Lack of the ability to absorb the fat soluble form of vitamin K-2 in the gut flora biome or in the presence of high glucose/sugar when combined with fat: “…Phylloquinone is found at high concentrations in green leafy vegetables and certain plant oils, while most menaquinones are usually found in animal livers and fermented foods. …” “…Finally, the hydrogenation of vegetable oils may decrease the absorption and biological effect of dietary phylloquinone (reviewed in 2, 9). …” (More information)

(MooBoom) #19

My n=1 - higher ketones definitely equal elevated mood.

0.5-0.8mmol = normal stable mood
0.9-1.3mmol = feeling energised
1.4-2.5 = high as a fricken kite :laughing:

I don’t supplement fat it all comes from dietary source and my adipose tissue.

Have you worked out if your readings correlate with predictable levels of energy? It’s a fairly useless but fun thing to do :joy:

(Diane) #20

I did a quick google search and found the following information on the dietdoctor.com website (which I’ve found to be a source of scientifically sound and practical advice in the past).

The quote below comes from this article:

“Blood ketones are best measured on a fasted stomach in the morning (before breakfast, that is). Here are a few pointers on how to interpret the result:

• Below 0.5 mmol/L is not considered “ketosis”. At this level, you’re far away from maximum fat-burning.

• Between 0.5-1.5 mmol/L is light nutritional ketosis. You’ll be getting a good effect on your weight, but not optimal.

• Around 1.5 – 3 mmol/L is what’s called optimal ketosis and is recommended for maximum weight loss.

• Values of over 3 mmol/L aren’t neccessary. That is, they will achieve neither better nor worse results than being at the 1.5-3 level. Higher values can also sometimes mean that you’re not getting enough food. For type 1 diabetics, it can be caused by a severe lack of insulin,… “

I only read through this quickly, but didn’t see any references which indicated the source of this information/opinion. But it seems it might be a reasonable place to start regarding your question.

Thanks for your question. This was an interesting article to read.

Good luck!