Feeling Fed Up but know I can’t quit! No other options but really deflated! Help?

I use this great app called “happy scale” that trends my weight, and it estimates true weight when there are big jumps on the scale. I find this hugely helpful for reminding myself of all the factors that contribute to huge scale fluctuations- I actually can fluctuate as much as 8lbs depending on if I’m well hydrated, had alcohol or exercised. Maybe this would help you?

(Jane) #22

Yeah, CICO may be crap, but body mass in and out isn’t.

You can drink a cup of coffee and go get on the scale and guess what? You are up .5-1 lb depending on how large your mug is.

Even if you weigh first thing in the morning after you pee you are weighing what you ate for dinner last night and water retained from hormones, stress or “just because”.

(Jane) #23

Too bad we don’t have the whirly Star Trek scanner to run over our bodies and give us an instant readout of our body fat. A la Dexa.

Or maybe it is better we don’t!!! :smile:

(taunya ruffin) #24

hi
I have been eating keto for 4 weeks and i have seen very little weight loss. My clothes fit the same. I have tested every morning and i am in Ketosis. I am getting frustrated and not sure if i should keep this up but i do see that others have lost at a slow rate. Macros are charted. I have about 20 pounds to loose. does the weight come off once keto adaption starts?

(Angela) #25

I would take a break from the fasting. I wouldn’t worry about being in ketosis. I would figure out what calories you need to take in to be at a deficit and just do a Keto-like diet to fit into that calorie total. I would have protein be your largest macro, followed by fat, then keep carbs low. Tracking helps if you can do it. Don’t overdo exercise in the being, just walking, yoga, weights to preserve lean muscle. I think a big flaw with doing Keto too hardcore is the excess fat intake and not tracking calories. Think fat bombs and butter coffee.

This guy has some good info:

I also love @ketoincanada on instagram, she lost 60lbs on Keto with 1400 cals

Carl and Richard say it best, keep calm and Keto on!

Some of us have a whole lot of weight to lose, and I am talking well over 100 lbs. We’re going to lose weight because we have so much to lose. For the person that is just trying to lose 15-20 lbs, it’s going to be harder and take longer.

It’s true, I’m definitely an example of that. I’m in week 8 and I lost 4 pounds the first 4 weeks. I’ll weigh for the 2nd time on Saturday and honestly I’ll be ecstatic if I’ve lost 4 more you know why? I’ll know it was fat loss and not water or muscle because I’m doing this the healthy weigh. When I look at it like that if I can lose 1 pound of pure fat a week that’s an awesome achievement :sunglasses::+1:

(Michelle) #28

This. You don’t appear to have a ton to lose, you are female and 45 years old. Weight isn’t going to fall off. Also you are exercising - that bike is putting lean muscle on you - and that will show up on the scale. Keep measuring your body in cm, not kg.

I have gained and lost 3 lbs in the past few weeks, yet everyone keeps commenting on how my body is changing. KCKO!

(J) #29

Believe it or not, one of these recently popped up on my fb feed. It’s $1400. :expressionless:

(Alec) #30

Martha
@Nene Just in case you didn’t know, your post was the subject of the 2KD mail section this week! You’re a star!! :+1:

Martha, thank you for posting this. As a newbie to the forum, I found this post, and the subsequent replies, incredibly helpful. Your experience will really help me to manage my expectations. So, thank you. :+1:t2::blush:

(Martha Mac) #32

I don’t do fat bombs and I’m rarely over 1200 calories a day - sometimes 1350 on the odd day. I keep my carbs under 5% and my fat between 75 and 85 - why do you suggest my larger macro should be protien rather than fat? I keep my protein between 68 and 100 grams at the moment.

(Martha Mac) #33

I’m so glad! I wondered if there were more out there feeling like I did in that moment and just decided to let rip! I do feel fantastic though and will never give up on keto weight loss or not! I’ve had too many other benefits since starting keto and need to focus on these and stop expecting miracles on the scale! I just freaked when I saw the gain! I manage the plateau far better than the gain :smile:

(Martha Mac) #34

Oh my gawd!!! Seriously! Hahahahaha! I’m off to listen! Not sure if I’m mortified and embarrassed or totes thrilled or both!!! Hahahahaha!

(Angela) #35

Hello Nene,

This is what I have found (a layer person) info-wise that inspires the protein-forward line of thinking. Please note this is not strict KETO in a sense (for epilepsy or Type 2) but more geared toward weight-loss. I think Keto is great, especially to get people off process junk food, but I have seen quite of few people struggle and I think playing around with what you are eating is worth a try. Also, weight lifting instead of cardio. Let your calorie deficit burn the fat and the weights will help keep lean muscle mass. I haven’t figured that out yet but alas…

Here are quotes from some experts:

Dr. Richard K. Bernstein, MD
“My plan is LCHP, not LCHF, as far as fat, I am not telling people to go and buy some fat and eat a meal of it. Fat comes along with protein.”

Dr. Ted Naiman
“All ingested fat goes to your adipocytes where it may or may not be burned later, provided no exogenous glucose(higher oxidation priority)”

“If your body is already high fat, all you need is the low card.”

Dr. Eric Westman
“You can overconsume fat to the detriment of weight loss.The calories you eat DO matter. I’ve seen folks over consume the oil and butter in coffee. Don’t increase the amount of fat you eat or drink. I want you to use your body fat as the main source of your energy when you are trying to lose weight.”

Dr. Phinney
“When you go on weight loss keto diet, you can eat less fat on your plate because you’re burning the fat that comes from your inside. It comes from your love handles and hips and so on, the cales
go down, because your body is buring your own fat stores.”

If you want to do more research I would look in Dr. Ted Naiman. I know people aren’t going to say religiously track calories, but it’s a good habit to keep yourself in check and make sure you are staying within your deficit. I have a lot of weight to lose, 50 lbs! And it’s going to take a year of doing Keto at 1200 calories. Yikes! but the @ketoincanada gal is inspiring me as it took her quite a while and she is pretty young (early 30’s) One last note, I was a KetoFail until I started following this plan, and I had to give up my weekend red wine habit due to too many darn calories (down to 2 glasses on Friday and Saturday that fit within my total) Don’t be afraid to experiment. Good Luck!

(Martha Mac) #36

Thanks but no thanks and that article was pretty offensive - the one by physiquonomics I mean.

I also DO track calories and even my feasting days are less than 1350 - this is not me deliberately calorie restricting either - I literally cannot eat any more! I don’t think FAT vs Protein is at all the issue and I am not overconsuming fat. I am going with Richard’s advice on 2KD. I believe if I raise my protein any more than it is I’ll end up with a higher insulin response and the point of the fasting is to lower insulin so feel that would be counter productive.

(Mary) #37

I’m in the same boat and about to give up. I did a 5 day fast according to Dr. Jung. Dropped six pounds - started to eat Keto again ( and couldn’t over eat anyway) - back up 4 lbs in 2 days. Stuck at my weight after 11 lb loss for over 3 months now.

(Splotchy) #38

Hi Martha - I just wouldn’t get too worried about short term weight blips. I weigh myself every day out of curiosity and have learned not to panic.

A sudden inexplicable rise or failure to lose when you’re doing the right thing can be due to many causes, ie time of day, fluids recently drunk, building up muscle, some time since bowels emptied, time of month etc… Or you may be having a short plateau and about to lose more.

If your getting slimmer and feeling fitter, it’s working. Just give it more time.

(Adrian Allen) #39

Hi Newbie here.

Can I ask what time of day you weigh yourself?
You fluctuate so much during the day.
I personally do it after I get and use the bathroom,
I find that way to be the most consistent.

Hope this helps a little.

Agree. Every morning I get up and pee, then weigh myself. The most important thing is to be consistent and weigh yourself at the same time each day you weigh.