February 2021 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)

I only was too busy to notice hunger once in my whole life… I can’t even lose appetite for days easily and I had some serious shocks but hunger is stronger and impossible to ignore. But it’s fine, I don’t get hungry too easily. I don’t want to do EF yet anyway. It would be nice but I can live without it. Hopefully it will happen at some point.

(Jane) #10

Fasting (especially EF) is not for everyone nor needed. I think IF is important even if yoiu just stop the snacking in between 3 meals a day. Sometimes I eat breakfast so that is 3 MAD for me but only a couple of times a week. Right now I am at TMAD until my hens start laying again.

(Jane) #11

16 hours in and not hungry, but it’s not time for me to eat yet so no surprise there. When the first “wave” usually hits around my normal lunch time I plan to be outside marking trees that will need to be cleared for our barn and gravel road down to it.

BG: 100
BK: 1.5
GKI: 3.7
Boz: 67

Got an E-2 error on my KetoMojo and apparently my strips expired last week. I reset the year to 2019 (thanks YouTube) so it will work with the rest of my strips (it did).

(Bacon for the Win) #12

My husband had Pfizer and has been sick two days after second shot. I had Moderna and was sick one day after second shot. My symptoms were mild compared to his and my colleagues. He is also metabolically challenged and I am not. But the second round has been such an ass-kicker that work is paying administrative time for being out the next day. We work at different facilities and they are both doing this.

Of course EF isn’t for everyone. But I want do it because I did it before without big efforts so I can and I want the benefits and I am curious. It’s a bad sign I can’t do it now even on Zornfasts. But I would be fine without EF for now, just eating decently in my naturally small eating window (and not losing, of course, I don’t expect miracles, just hope for having them one day). But it doesn’t happen.
But I had my wilder and stressed times, I really try harder now.

I had an IF day today. Barely. Pathetic but it’s something at this point so I am midly pleased. I ate a ton, obviously, 8 hours are too long even on carnivore-ish though I have chances there if I use my absolutely best items… I do that tomorrow and go for a smaller window. Now I gradually push my first mealtime later, it was easy enough today but still needed a small effort. If I go back to my normal eating window, it will be easier to stay there, I have a long history with it, after all, carnivore should help too…
Multiple things added together in December and it’s hard to get rid of the mess now. But I will do it.

I don’t think I ever was a snacky person. I ate my snacks, sure but mostly at mealtimes. But I don’t have any problem with snacking, I just badly need my small eating window back… Even my number of meals don’t matter (even though they are typically very strongly correlated with the size of my eating window. but not always). If I could do 3MAD with IF 19/5, that would be better than TMAD with a big eating window.

The hens I get my eggs from lay just fine in winter. Summer hotness is their problematic time on some years. I wonder why is this, maybe the not harsh winters lately…?

(Jane) #14

Coming up on 24 hours fasted. Will break tomorrow sometime midday. All I have to do now is fall asleep in a few hours and my fast will almost be over. Was an easy one this time.

BG: 86
BK: 2.5
GKI: 1.9
Boz: 34

January 2021 IF/EF Chat Thread (All Welcome)
(Susan) #15

That is great, Janie =). Congrats =).

Thanks @Janie for starting a new thread.

I am continuing on my 20:4 TMAD IF schedule; however, I plan on doing other longer fasts during the month as well (some shorter ones of maybe 48 hours) and a goal of 100 hours or so for the Zornfast.

I wish everyone the best on their Fasting goals for the month =).

(Jane) #16

I understand the need to do this and I wish you the best in getting back to your smaller eating window.

It depends on the breed and also the conditions. My Welsummers stopped laying in mid-December last year. My Wyandottes stopped laying on Jan 10 and then molted. Most hens stop laying while they molt. Poor things look like turkeys with no neck feathers… and stubby with no tail feathers. :laughing:

You can “force”/strongly encourage them to lay through the winter by providing artifical light in the sunlight spectrum in their coop and heat when very cold. Part of what triggers them to stop laying are the shorter days. Of course the cold will slow them down as they need the energy to keep warm, not make eggs.

Mine slow down a bit when it gets very hot in the summer. We hardly notice because we usually have a nice stock built up and then when the heat breaks they start laying at a normal rate again. They have never stopped altogether in the summer here. We get an average of 4 eggs per day from 5 hens,

(Jane) #17

Was planning on going until lunch then I remembered I had set out a jar of cream with buttermilk in it to make sour cream and forgot about it yesterday. It was still ok after almost 2 days but I stirred it and tasted it to make sure and then thought “Dangit - I just broke my fast!”

I thought it was better than my last batch so I will leave it out for 2 days the next time I make it.

Still not going to eat until lunch - I just licked the small whisk so couldn’t have gotten very much.

(Laurie) #18

Intermittent fasting never feels difficult, but I guess it takes some effort and discipline. And sometimes I just don’t feel up to it.

Every couple of weeks I go to “town” (1.5 hours each way) for errands and shopping. On arriving home, and the day after, I always feel very tired and somewhat hungry.

So that’s where I’m at, yesterday and today. Eating more than usual, at odd hours.

I guess four days a month of eating outside my normal pattern won’t do too much damage. Back to IF tomorrow.

I saw lots of hens in my life but never molted ones, it seems (or I focused on the pretty ones. and the rooster. roosters look so fabulous!).

I will ask the egg lady what she does with the hens… She keeps selling us the usual amount of eggs. The record numbers happen in summer but the difference isn’t huge.

One day everyone complained about their hens. Another choir member (poor choir, we stopped last March :sob:) told me her 40 hens produced 8 eggs a day and it’s awesome as it’s a way bigger number than in the previous weeks… Everyone had the same problem back then, we didn’t get eggs from our 2 sources for a long time. But this happens once in several years and we have similarly hot summers every year… 4 eggs from 5 hens? That’s great! :slight_smile:

[…]
Meanwhile it’s almost 10pm here. I trust myself I finished the day eating wise…
I had an eating window of 5.5 hours today (it was 8 yesterday), I am pleased with my progress. It took a tiny effort.

(KCKO, KCFO) #20

I seem to fallen into a 18/6 pattern this week so will continue that through the weekend. Hope to do a 36er next week.

Glad to see everyone’s successes here.

(Jane) #21

I know this is a fasting thread but hopefully nobody cares about the thread drift. If so, I will remove my posts.

She looks worse now. Her Welsummer sister next to her looks great

(Jane) #22

18/6 is great. Especially compared to how we used to eat!

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

So true, Janie. When I started fasting I could barely do the 14/10 fasting. Now I do that even when I don’t consider myself fasting. I do mix up 16/8 and 18/6 regularly, and often do 20/4 as well. Lately fasting has been harder. So I try to do OMAD at least every other day. But I want to do ADF next week. My fasting muscle is getting rusty :slight_smile:

Hope your choke gets better.

(Jane) #24

My husband used to struggle a bit doing 36-hr fasts but he didn’t have much in the way of fat stores.

Then our dog hit his knee at a dead run out in the meadow and his activity level had been greatly reduced since late December. He has put on 5 lbs w/o changing his eating habits but now fasting is easier for him.

Oh I couldn’t send it last time, it seems…

I used to eat close to 16/8 before keto… I don’t remember high-carb but it probably often was close to IF (and if not, I still started to eat late, I just ate at night too, before bed, of course, if I go to sleep, I will have my 6-9 hours uninterrupted sleep). Carbs makes eating at a small window (like one hour) super easy now, well it’s logical as my meals get big… But as my goal isn’t doing OMAD at all costs, it doesn’t even matter.
I go for as little carbs as comfortably possible now. Not all of my days are carnivore-ish, I don’t try hard now but I don’t overdo tasting things :slight_smile:

The left hen has a very interesting pattern!

Today was great! I knew it will be fine when I left the home at noon to go for a long walk and shopping… I got back at 3:30 but I had to prepare food so I didn’t break my fast until 5pm. 22 hours, it’s long for me lately… :smiley: I don’t know if it will be an OMAD day, I don’t feel I ate enough for that but we will see. {No, it became a TMAD day with a 4.5 hour eating window. Still nice.}

It’s so good to go back to my usual pattern… If I have something like that, my days aren’t super similar but not eating before 3pm is the norm since years except in “special” times. Before December I was almost never hungry at 3pm and often skipped lunch despite my social eating tendencies. Then came December and that tends to be a bit crazy, it’s tradition… And even a little wildness can mess things up if I do it for weeks (but as I don’t get carb poisoning, I need effort to do keto or carnivore again)… Extra huge stress didn’t help. But I think I am over those times now.

I did OMAD today! All is well. I didn’t even need an effort.

That’s great Shinita!

I’ve not been on here much for a while, but decided I want a bit of accountability, so I’m back. I’m fasting today and hope to avoid eating until at least lunch tomorrow, but hopefully until supper tomorrow. I will count up the hours when I break my fast.

While I continue to remain keto, I have allowed more fat into my meals (it tastes SO good!) and have started using Monk Fruit drops (just a bit) and cream to my morning tea. Anyway, I think the extra fat not be a good idea. That, coupled with less exercise hasn’t been good for me. I feel my clothes getting a bit tighter and I don’t like it!!

Anyway, I hope I don’t wimp out. I can easily skip meals, I just enjoy eating too much. :roll_eyes:

I am surprised by how tempting it was to break my intended fast yesterday! I haven’t been hungry, but I think I just like to eat with my family. :grin: But I have hung in there and it has been 35 hours so far. I’m going to try to wait until supper to eat. We’ll see. I have a friend I haven’t seen in a year coming over for tea this afternoon. While I will offer her something with her tea, I will only have tea. Or that is what I’m planning. :grinning: