February 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(KCKO, KCFO) #61

Dr. Fung’s book says green tea is a good appetite suppressor. I enjoy herbal teas and green teas while fasting.
I also take my supplements when fasting. If you are OMADing it, just have them while you have food on your stomach if you get upsets doing them on an empty one.

(KCKO, KCFO) #62

Sounds like coffee withdrawal. Pills and real stuff do not always treat us the same. You might be taking some
caffeine pill but your body might not process it the same way, and coffee has more than just caffeine in it. I don’t think it is the fasting.

On my first 7-day fast the 3rd day was just awful. Not because of hunger or weakness or anything but just mentally, emotionally taxing. I just felt really down and sluggish and miserable all day.

(KCKO, KCFO) #64

New video from Low Carb Down Under, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BYvHgs-oww&feature=em-subs_digest

Enjoy.

(Liz ) #65

I think this is the case, I’m addicted to something other than caffeine in the coffee! I had no idea. Though I always do go to bed looking forward to getting up to make coffee lol.

@allzed Ugh I hear that. Every fast, every day of every fast is always different! I never go past 70 hours but maybe I should some day.

Hi, everyone! I’m finally back to keto after an almost 2-month break and am following a 16:8 for now. I know my appetite tends to die off after a while, so I likely won’t need the entire 8-hour window in a few weeks. For now, I am just going with the flow.

(Beth Fultz Utz) #67

I plan to get back on keto wagon starting with a fast which began at 8:30 pm tonight! Hope to join you until Friday -as husband and I have plans-but would really like to extend beyond…

@Beth_Fultz_Utz all the best to you!!

Unfortunately I had to listen to my body and cut my fast short 30 mins ago at 155 hours (6,5 days). I suffer from this awful, debilitating headache (this time it has lasted 24/7 since November 2014) but it is kept somewhat under control with pain meds. However now it has been totally out of control, I just couldn’t take the pain anymore. Salt did not help, and I can’t sleep all day. So I broke the fast now, and will eat for the rest of the week and be back to shorter fasts next week. :slight_smile:

Wow amazing effort already. I had never done a fast more than 36h so cannot imagine your pain! I’m curios, are you resting most of the days while you fast? Or you work?

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #70

Do you know what is causing your headache?

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #71

Almost finished this week’s 1st 36hr fast. I’m going to the gym this morning so it’ll be extended a bit.

I was super cold yesterday - especially hands and feet. I know I can solve this problem by vacuuming the house, but I’m trying to finish a knitting project :smile:

Was warm as toast on waking this morning so I hope the fat stores are being used.

@anon27775501 I’m an IT consultant and I currently work remotely from home, since I’m still not fully recovered from a leg injury last year and need to be able put my feet up. But as far as the fasting goes, there is no need to rest. It just brings energy. :blush:

@Jezza Currently the best guess is, that the deep muscles at the back of my scull are so swollen and tense, that they are continuously pressing on the trigeminal nerve. And there is just no way to affect that - manual manipulation will not work - the muscles on the surface are so tight, that there is no way around them. Every single muscle on me is super tense, and I just can’t find a cure… Of course I’m putting all my hope in keto+fasting now, but so far it doesn’t look so good… From my own online research cervicogenic headache seems very very similar to what I have, except that there is normally an abrupt cause to it and it normally lasts hours or days, not years, but after finding a link here to a research study where they found that the ketogenic diet does not help with cervicogenic headache and crying a river, I decided I don’t have that after all. :sweat_smile:

Guys, sorry for highjacking the thread with my health issues… :persevere:

(Arlene) #73

Liz, I’m addicted to everything about coffee, and I refuse to give it up. Tea is just tea. I can drink it when I feel like it, but there is no substitute for good coffee. Cream is also a necessity, as far as I’m concerned. What good is coffee without cream in it. I have given up many habits over time. I will continue to indulge in coffee with cream every morning, fasting or not because I love it that much.

(Liz ) #74

I tell you, I feel ALL of this!! LOL YES.

Lately I mostly use butter or oil in my coffee because I found whipping it in makes just as creamy a coffee as adding HWC, to me. The only reason I do that is: 1) to avoid any incidental carbs from cream 2) I have a tendency to get really hooked on cream & overdo it & I don’t like that addicted “I HAVE to have it” feeling, and 3) I’m still not sure if dairy like cream is affecting my hormonal acne so I’m slowly backing off it to test.

I don’t have the dark mood this morning! Phew. I’ll drink coffee tomorrow. But I’m wondering how it would work for me just to move my creamy coffee into my eating window which starts around 1pm? Then I could be water IFing from dinner to lunch and STILL enjoy my delicious coffee. Gonna give that a try tomorrow.

(Arlene) #75

Liz, Mornings are the only time for my coffee. My sleep cycle makes me a very early riser, so early to bed in the evenings too. Because of this I have moved my eating window so that I’m done by early afternoon. Instead of moving my coffee later I moved my eating earlier. I guess this means my life revolves around my lovely coffee!! :grinning:

(Liz ) #76

I would TOTALLY do this too! But I am accommodating my husband’s schedule. If I wasn’t though, I would be finishing my food by early afternoon.

(Allie) #77

I do this too, up early then finished food by mid-afternoon :slight_smile:

(Jeanne Wagner) #78

Ok so the weekend before this past weekend, I did a 3 day fast. The first day was really hard with the hunger, but I pushed through. I ‘could’ have lasted a lot longer (wasn’t hungry) but I was SUPER distracted and would not have been able to concentrate for work so I stopped at something like 75 hrs. Then I got some pretty bad gastric issues that had me running to the bathroom all dang night, and into the next day, and part of the next night. Now I’m spooked. I’m trying to fast to day but I feel like I’m ravenous and I’ve already had a bulletproof coffee with no sweetener to assuage that beast. It helped a little but not much. (Two tbsp of Kerry Gold and about 1/4-1/3 c hwc.) I’m feeling a bit defeated. No matter how much I drink water, the hunger comes right back a minute later. I have to keep my salt intake in check I think, because my feet and ankles are blowing up. But I still have added some to my water to try and help, because with that hangry, I’m getting a headache too. And they hurt. I feel like my body is rebelling. grumble, grumble… but I’m 16 hrs without solid food … if it counts at all.

(Liz ) #79

It’s possible that you are retaining water because you are not getting enough salt. Might not be your deal, I’m just throwing that out there in case it’s helpful. For me the only thing that squashes hunger on a fast is salt. But I might be a lucky one in that I don’t really get much persistent hunger while fasting. Just a sort of unpleasant hollow feeling that comes and goes.

I forget where you are on your Keto journey, a few months in? Because that will make a big difference in fasting successfully.

As far as bathroom issues, it’s always a gamble when I break a fast if I will have “disaster pants” or not. Last time I ate too much too quickly and I did have to be near the bathroom for several trips. I’m breaking a 70 hour fast tonight and this time I’ll try one ounce of macadamia nuts an hour before dinner. Fingers crossed!

Warrior fast today, feeling good.

Prepared tomato soup & crudite for the family last night, plus leftover antipasto from the super bowl. My super bowl party turned out to be just me and my 13 y/o daughter. Good company.