Feasting/fasting and satiety- am I ruining my metabolism?

(Ruth Spencer) #1

Having done keto for 4+ months down I’m down 41 pounds :grin:. I’ve been doing 1 or 2 24 or 36 hour fasts a week, but recently I’ve started fasting a bit longer than this. My hunger has fallen as I am fasting more, and I’m finding when I do eat, which is usually a family meal with my husband and young daughter, that I’m not eating a huge amount. So there’s lots of fasting, but not much feasting. I’m just not hungry enough to feast enough. So overall I realise that I’m very calorie restricted and I worry that it might be changing my metabolic set point long term. I’m thinking here of the Biggest Loser study where the participants’ metabolisms were way down even years later, which was one of the major reasons that they gained back all their weight. I hear Jason Fung saying that fasting does not cause a drop in the metabolic rate, but if you end up being calorie restricted on your non-fasting days then does this still hold true? Can anyone ‘show me the science’ :smile:

(TJ Borden) #2

Megan Ramos talked about this a little on one of the podcasts. The metabolism WILL slow if we don’t feast properly counter to fasting. I struggled with it too, appetite is down so I wouldn’t eat much. I was often doing OMAD when not fasting so I fixed it by deliberately eating breakfast on feasting days right after fasting. That would generally make me hungry for lunch and then even a little dinner. After a couple days of that my appetite would be back enough to go back to OMAD.

(Rob) #5

This isn’t true. Several overfeeding experiments demonstrate that WHAT you feed the body is critical to whether this relationship holds or not.

A healthy body will seemingly ignore excess calories if they come from manageable forms (fat) but NOT if they come from carbs at the same calorie level. The body knows what it wants unless it has been badly deranged at which point CICO seems to become more important but is not the primary driver of weightloss experience.

There are far too many variables to look at people and think that CICO explains differences. The Biggest Loser research proves that you can massively change your basal metabolism with extreme measures at which point your documentary conclusion is rendered moot. The inability to truly understand the CO side of things for an individual including the reaction of the body to various macronutrients, the quality of the exercise (e.g. LI vs HI) etc., the BMR of the person makes it hard to suggest any CICO strategy.

I think self delusion and inability to see the truth of a situation is definitely the primary conclusion to draw from this show and we all know this is endemic in dieters at some point or other in their journey.

If you have deranged your metabolism, and you maintain high insulin levels, you will find it very hard to lose any of the body fat unless you do extreme things and those will inevitably come back to haunt you (per Biggest Loser and everyone else). CICO is a secondary issue at best and often worthless if you don’t sort out the basic metabolic issues.

(Rob) #7

You know we agree on the swampland BUT it is not about excess calories there too. It is about excess carbs or excess fat and the state of your metabolism. There are too many examples of people restricting calories but NOT losing weight and exceeding TDEE and not gaining weight to believe that excess calories is the primary driver on average.

(Karl) #9

If there was a blob of text that ever made any sense in life, Capnbob just said it here. I really wish everyone trying to manage their weight would realize this.

We humans are terrific at lying to ourselves. We are FANTASTIC at repeating thought processes that make a truth out of something patently false in order to protect our fragile egos and make ourselves feel less vulnerable. We twist things into shades of gray in order to have the fault lie elsewhere, and in the case of the internet we make it a case of “attack the message, attack the messenger” when we don’t agree with it.

At the very least, this cycle of thinking might prevent you from losing weight. At the worse end, an entire country might get stuck with a president with a ridiculous hairdo and even worse policy for four years (terrible, right?). There’s no shortage of conflicting articles and studies spewed out with funding by coca cola & phillip morris - and they are all trying to affect the way you think about your own goals in favor of their own profitability.

That’s why it’s so damn important for you to find something that works for you, even if it doesn’t agree with the rest of an internet forum, google feed or podcast topic.

(KKM) #10

hi,
I have the same issue. I am doing quite well with the fasting days, I have tried fasts as one-off before but now I have been doing ADF quite nicely.
Still the same issue - feasting days - do I load up on calories which would be easy with BPCs, extra bacon etc OR do I just eat just about enough in order to have less fat on the plate so the fat would come off me? Just cannot seem to marry up these two ideas.

(Karen) #11

Load up to rev. Up

Have a listen

K

(KKM) #12

I was listening when I was tried OMAD for a bit before trying fasting. So, the advise is to “switch it up” - a touch too vague for me. Also reading about some of the experiences where people say not to go crazy on feast days…

(Todd Allen) #13

Body temperature is a good proxy for metabolic rate. If ones temperature is significantly low, say down 1 or 2 degrees F, then one might want to try boosting it by eating more, sleeping better, lifting weights, etc. And it’s normal for it to drop in the evening.

(Tina Emmons) #14

Same here! Doing ADF, pretty much lunch only every other day. Great fast days! Loaded up on some great groceries yesterday, super excited to eat and try a few new things, got up this morn, prepared breakfast-carnitas verde with black soy beans, eggs fried in ghee, half an avocado, shredded cheese and sour cream. By the time it was ready I could barely touch it. I know the obvious answer is if you aren’t hungry, don’t eat but man! Waste, disappointment and really want this to be a FEAST/fast cycle. Thought it was a great idea for me. Worried I’m not keeping my metabolism up! Had taco lettuce cups on the menu for dinner. Not sure I’ll get there.:slightly_frowning_face: