Faux Potato Hashbrowns (or Rosti or Latkes)

rutabaga
hashbrown
rosti
latkes

Ok…this time cauliflower is on vacation and I am going to use another vegetable to take the place of potatoes! This recipe uses rutabaga. Otherwise called “swedes”, as Richard taught me.

So, if you want something to soak up your runny yolk, or mop up gravy, this is the recipe for you. I see these called “hashbrowns” in US and Canada, or “rosti” in Switzerland/Germany/Austria. Does anyone else know what else these are called in other countries/cultures?

I happened to have leftover peeled rutabaga from using it in a recipe a couple days ago (wrapped in plastic and stored in the refrigerator). Here is what I did. This is what the rutabaga looked like

Outer tough shell was peeled with a sharp knife

And then split in half

So, here is what I did with the one half that was refrigerated. I chopped it in half, and grated the 1/4 piece, using the coarse side of a cheese grater

I then added salt, ground pepper and egg whites. By the way, if you have a problem with accumulation of egg whites (like I do), this recipe is a great solution to use them up

I blended the ingredients with a fork

Meanwhile, in a frying pan, I added a lot of lard and turned up the heat

When the grease was very hot, I dropped the hashbrown paste as a heaping tablespoon mounds, and flattened them to form a pancake

It took about 2 minutes each side to brown. After removing the cooked hashbrowns, more lard was added to the pan to replace the grease that was absorbed during cooking

This is what my little beauties looked like when I finished

Breakfast of keto champions!

Hashbrowns soaking up the runny yolk

The perfect bite

What did you Keto today?
(matt ) #2

Awesome. They loook like latkes.

(Jacquie) #3

I thought so, too! :smiley:

(Keto in Katy) #4

That is just beautiful. Is the flavor anything like potatoes?

(Dustin Cade) #5

This looks awesome!

Hey, that’s right! Latkes…I’m going to add that to the tag.

I find that there is a slight sweetness to these hashbrowns that you don’t get with potatoes. I like it.

(James storie) #8

This looks good! I’m going to have to add it to my “I have to try this” list!

Oh. My. Those photos… I will have to find a rutabaga. Or grow one.

(eat more) #10

dang… i wish had a rutabaga for my sunday breakfast!

as always…thank you @Fiorella :blush:

(What The Fast?!) #11

@fiorella Rutabagas are root vegetables high in carbs, no?

(eat more) #12

i think compared to a potato no…
like 6g carb per 100g versus a potato which is like 18g carbs per 100g

i think there are quite a few low carb/keto rutabaga recipes/blog posts

Rutabagas are indeed root vegetables, but with significantly lower carb count than potatoes, just like what @mikki said above. There are a few root vegetables with low carb count and that are ok with keto… examples are kohlrabi, jicama and celeriac.

(eat more) #14

ooh i had forgotten about jicama/jicama fries!

(What The Fast?!) #15

Mmmmmm jicama!

(Dustin Cade) #16

We now have jicima and rutabega…

I haven’t heard of either of these vegetables…just another reason to love this Forum…learning new things all the time!!

(Zack F) #18

I’m extremely late to this thread but I wonder if rutabaga can be riced and converted into a pizza crust base? Anyone have any other experience using it?