Fatheads pizza for hubs who is craving pizza

recipe

(Shannon) #1

So I’ve searched and found a bunch of different recipes but can someone point me to a really good one? He has been so great about all of this and I would like to go all out. Pepperoni would be a plus and cheesier the better but no veggies. Thanks!!!

Choose the base you like then go mad with toppings.
Theres no need to stick to a recipe for what you stick on top, have the stuff you like just like you would on a carb base.

I made fathead for the first time recently and the dough was really wet, but it cooked up just fine. Not quite sure what went wrong but it tasted fine too. Just thought I’d say, incase you have same issue.

(Carl Keller) #3

The recipe in the video below is the one I used for the dough. You can use whatever toppings you like but be forewarned about mozzarella cheese. It’s made from milk and some brands have more carbs than others. So choosing a mozzarella that has the fewest carbs is key to getting your pizza’s carb count low.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

FATHEAD PIZZA

Two crusts One crust Item
4 cups 2 cups Shredded mozzarella cheese (3/4 for crust, remainder for topping)
4 ounces 2 ounces Cream cheese
1-1/2 cup 3/4 cup Almond flour
2 1 Egg(s)
14-16 ounces 7-8 ounces Tomato sauce
Garlic salt, oregano, & basil to taste

Prepare all toppings in advance, since they will not be in the oven long enough to cook.

Preheat oven to 425°.

Microwave together the cream cheese and three fourths of the shredded mozzarella for 60-90 seconds, depending on quantity. Stir. Microwave another 30-60 seconds and stir again. Mix in egg(s) and almond flour. Wet hands and spread dough thinly on cookie sheet(s) lined with parchment paper. It should spread evenly–if too stringy, microwave for another 20 seconds or so. Prick crust(s) all over with a fork to avoid bubbling. Sprinkle with garlic salt.

Place crust(s) in oven. Check after 8 minutes and prick any bubbles with a fork. Continue cooking for another 4-6 minutes (12-14 minutes total), or until brown on top.

Remove crust(s) from oven and spread evenly with tomato sauce. Cover evenly with remaining mozzarrella, and add other toppings, as desired. Sprinkle lightly with oregano and basil.

Put topped crust(s) back into oven long enough for the cheese to melt.

I generally make two of these pizzas for four people, and there are usually a few slices left over. One pizza is topped with pepperoni, the other with sausage, onion, and Bell peppers.

I forget where I found this version of the recipe, but there are plenty more in the Recipes forum.

(Carl Keller) #6

Cronometer.com tells me Red Mill almond flour is 21 net grams of carbs for 3/4 cup while other brands have as few as 6-8 net carbs per 3/4 cup. So I reckon not all almond flours are created equal.

(Jane) #7

And not all labels tell the truth!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #8

This is why I don’t do fat head pizza! No way can I just eat one slice!! Too many carbs for my liking! I made one ages ago and haven’t bothered since

(Lisa) #10

I’ve tried Fathead lots of ways, but recently I’ve been making it “Carl’s-Head” style! On the podcast, Carl said he’s making it without the egg, then he later omitted the cream cheese as well.

My last batch, I used:
-85g almond flour (I use Costco variety)
-170g shredded mozzarella (also Costco)

Cronometer puts this at 7.2 net carbs for the whole batch.

I baked it for about 10 minutes (maybe a little less), and I thought it was great. It does get a little crisper (tendency to burn) without the egg, so I’ll be experimenting with temp/time. I can’t eat a whole pizza in one sitting, so I usually make it into four mini pizza crusts that I store in the fridge. When I want pizza, I add the toppings and stick it in the toaster oven for a couple minutes.

I also used the Carl’s-Head dough to attempt making a tortilla. It looked great but wasn’t pliable, so didn’t work for tortillas. However, it made great crackers!

(traci simpson) #11

I used a cauliflower one egg and Parmesan cheese crust. It’s not as dense as almond flower.