Fathead Pizza 1st Attempt

fathead
pizza

(ryancrawcour) #21

ROTLMAO!

(Larry Lustig) #22

I made one recently and let the crust go a little too long and it turned into cracker-like material. That actually produced a nice, firm, crispy crust when I made the pizza.

Also helps to make lots of hand-sized pizzas rather than a large one; the uncovered crust around the edge provides additional rigidity.

(ryancrawcour) #23

So, in short then, No. It doesn’t produce a real “crust” that allows you to pick up a slice and eat it like pizza?

(Bart) #24

I personally like pork rind pizza. The crust is made form pork rinds and Parmesan cheese and an egg with some Italian seasoning, I add garlic as well. After it is baked the sauce cheese and toppings are added and the pizza is broiled until the cheese is melted. this crust you can pick up and eat like a slice of pizza. I find it very good and always cures my cravings for pizza.

(Larry Lustig) #25

My last try was quite satisfactory in terms of being able to eat the pizza by hand. It was only my third attempt. In the previous attempts, the one with almond flour was too floppy to eat by hand, but the one with coconut flour was also okay to eat by hand – but tasted of coconut.

(Brian Miller) #26

I was 100% able to eat mine by hand like a traditional crusted pizza. I did flip it half way through cooking the dough to make sure it crisped up nicely. Reheating…I reheated 2 separate pieces in my cast iron skillet and the crust remained perfectly crisp and solid. Later I tried one piece in the microwave and it came out soft.

(Mark ) #27

How did the lack of egg change the taste or texture?

(ryancrawcour) #28

coconut flavored pizza … holy batman … no thanks! pineapple on pizza is bad enough.
imagine pineapple + coconut flour … you’d have a pina colada pizza.

Eeeeeeew

:smiley:

(ryancrawcour) #29

to be fair normal pizza in a microwave is pretty crappy too.

(Jim Priestley) #30

Has anyone made this in a 900 degree wood fired pizza oven?

(Brian Miller) #31

That’s true but I wanted to mention it for the sake of full disclosure.

(Peter Bursky) #32

This was my first time making any version of the fathead pizza, so can’t really compare it to the version with egg. Either way, it base wasn’t too far off from the Domino’s we used to get before.

(Michelle) #33

I 100% eat mine like a regular pizza. I cook it for about 13 minutes, til the middle is golden but thinner edge is a little darker. I have tried flipping half-way, and didn’t like the outcome. I just keep it on one side, on the parchment paper for the ~13 to 13.5 minutes.

It’s not soggy or anything like that. If you cut it in squares, it’s almost like flatbread pizza (to me).

(matt ) #34

As we make more and more of these I am seeing that this is key. Just enough sauce that you know it’s there. As @richard said above you are spreading it with the back of the spoon. We have focused on the toppings, prepared well, and the results are always impressive.

(matt ) #35

Like this?

(Guardian of the bacon) #36

Let me just dig deep down in my hip pocket and pull one out…

(Guardian of the bacon) #37

We’ve found that similar to @matt pictures here, we like it slightly darker than you would a flour crust. The primarily cheese crust doesn’t have the burnt flavor you would expect from a “normal” pizza crust of similar color.

(Brian Miller) #38

I would imagine it would only enhance the texture of the crust. If you have access then let us know how the experiment works out.

(Daniel Enriquez ) #39

I was told Almond flour was bad to bake with since it is high in omega 6. Does anyone know what I could use to substitute the almond flour with or if I should even be concerned with it. I really want to try make a fathead pizza.

(Guardian of the bacon) #40

Don’t know the science but an awful lot of keto folks are using it. Doesn’t make it right…just is what it is.