Fat people at work

(Susan) #1

I work at a company in where 95 percent are very overweight. Why do fat women eat muffins and donuts for breakfast and salad for lunch? Then blame their weight problems on age or genetics? Anyone?

Judgement and Disappointment
(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

Welcome to the forum Susan. Once we learn about keto it’s easier to see people eating carbs or foods that aren’t good for them but we don’t fat shame here. Every individual is on their own path.

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #3

I’m not sure why they choose to eat the way they do, and it doesn’t sound like you’re sure why either. But if your approach in real life is the same as your approach in this post, I wouldn’t listen to a word you had to say about keto if I was one of those women.

Being overweight doesn’t make you a bad person.

(Susan) #5

I don’t think fat people are bad . I’m just trying to figure out why they blame age and genetics? When it’s really poor eating habits and lack of exercise. I can’t help notice their poor eating habits at work. They eat desert for breakfast. Like really?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Maybe because big food has told us for years that sugar in the morning is good. Frosted Mini-wheats for example.

I was talking to someone at work that did not understand fruit has carbs in them. She eats 2 to 4 oranges every day and a banana.

(Susan) #7

People who are lacking knowledge and are not living in the modern world. The internet gives us so much information. People do what feels good in that moment. I would never give my kids cake and cookies for breakfast.

(Rebecca ) #8

Ditto…

(Trish) #9

Hi Susan and welcome to the forum.
I believe there are a few reasons people eat/behave this way.

1. they really don’t know better. Not everyone is a reader/researcher/learner etc. Just because the info is out there doesn’t mean they are capable of finding and effectively interpreting it.
  2. They believe they are following the government’s approves and recommended food guide so they are not eating poorly. They are eating what they have been told they should therefore they “should” be healthy.
  3. It’s easier to blame someone/something else than to take responsibility yourself.
  4. Cognitive dissonance. “I’m eating what my government told me. I can’t believe and can’t come to terms with the fact that I’ve been lied to for the past 40 years.”

('Jackie P') #10

Before I learnt about keto I believed I ate healthily. No I didn’t eat muffins and donuts for breakfast (95% of them eat these breakfasts at work?), but I thought fruit and yogurt, wholemeal toast, low fat spread and low sugar jam was healthy because that is what I was taught. I also thought pasta or rice salad was healthy. Or a jacket potato with low fat cheese. This is misinformation that is still being taught, it is sad.
All my life I ate like this and it damaged me. I feel privileged to have discovered Keto, and this forum. It was a leap of faith though. It is not widely championed by the media, and there are a vast number of people who will tell you it is unhealthy and unsustainable. I am still learning whilst being bombarded with misinformation.
Why don’t you eat a lump of lard for your breakfast, and a pile of crispy bacon dipped in full fat mayo for your lunch and see how you get judged…:no_mouth:

(Susan) #11

Thank you Shallimar…

(Susan) #12

Exactly this – my kids tell me daily that I am going to die of a heart attack because I am on Keto.

The majority of the world still thinks that the SAD diet is more healthy then KETO.

We try to encourage each other here. Many of us were very overweight/obese when we happily discovered Keto. Heaven knows I am still very fat -but I am a healthier fat person now then I was in February when I began Keto!

I am also much more knowledgeable now about what is healthy, and I feel way better now. I have lost 51 pounds, and I am proud of that --but I still have over 100 more to lose. When people see me that don’t know me; they probably think, wow she is really fat --and I am, but I am on the road to recovery, on the path to being a healthier and more active me. I will succeed with Keto, and a lot of positive encouragement and hard work and determination.

I love Keto and I love this forum, and I am thrilled that I found both. When a new person comes here and has just discovered Keto, we all try to encourage them and share our experiences with them to help them on their journey and to find the health and happiness on Keto that we are all experiencing.

I am so grateful that I am now on the right path, but I ate the wrong way for all my life, I will be 55 in a few weeks. I believed that the Canada Food Guide was the way to go, now I know that it definitely is NOT! I am sure that the American Food Guide, or the guide for most countries, is similar, and it is wrong, but we have been taught all our lives that that is the right way to eat.

My hope is that one day the world will realize that KETO is awesome; but until then, it is up to those that know the truth, to be an encouragement and a walking/talking testament to the virtues of Keto. We don’t get anywhere in life by belittling or bullying others.

(Susan) #13

I am not here to offend anyone. I feel sorry for kids that were given frosted flakes and muffins for breakfast. As adults, it’s up is to us to make sensible choices. As a kid my mom did the same thing. She meant well…

(mole person) #14

The advice that our modern wold gives to people are that meat and fat are bad, grains and beans are good, and calories are all that matter. Most people think a fruit muffin is a very healthy breakfast. They also think that the donut isn’t really bad if you ‘offset’ the offending calories with the skinny salad at lunch. These people are following the guidelines.

These people aren’t even uneducated, it’s more like they are in a dietary ‘Matrix’ where the world is formatted to make them believe a bunch of falsehoods. Further, carbohydrates are delicious and addictive and so most people have no desire to start looking behind the curtain.

(hottie turned hag) #15

Folks in general often ascribe their problems to sources other than their own choices.
Food choices, other choices. Blamed on extraneous factors.

That annoys me to no end.
Accountability is a big thing with me; I never blame others/extraneous factors for the (many) lousy choices I have made.

I don’t really blame the overweight people for this. We have been lied to all our lives.

From my own experience, as I gained weight, I believed the lie that all those carbs were “healthy” if they were low fat. I did this even though I knew in my heart that it really wasn’t good for me. I weighed 350 lbs when I finally, in desperation, gave up the carb addiction.

Like everyone else, I told myself that I’d eat better the next meal to make up for the sugar I’d eaten earlier. It’s all about the addiction to carbs we ignore or are “educated” by our health system and advertisements to believe isn’t a problem. Advertisers have been very successful in making their cheap, high carb “foods” sound healthy.

I truly believe carbs are like a very addictive drug that cause us to crave more. Then, people (like me) make excuses for ourselves so we can live with our choices. At least it was that way for me. It’s reinforced by poor advice, (eat less fat, eat more salads, eat 5 meals a day). Ugh!

My heart aches for all those people who have been misled and lied to by a medical system that gave up teaching people to limit carbs and instead started prescribing insulin. I suspect that all the advertising just won out and doctors gave up the losing battle and moved to damage control to try to help people in whatever way they could until no one remembered how healing reducing carbs and eating healthy animal fats would be.

(Susan) #17

Totally agree. I hate when people don’t take responsibility for their actions. Adults who make food choices that a toddler would make.

(Jane Srygley) #18

According to Dr. Jason Fung and others, it’s “really” a disorder of the endocrine system. It’s too much insulin, which causes people to crave sugar. I believe it’s also addiction, and to perpetuate addiction, it’s very common to blame everything but ourselves. Exercise doesn’t do much to combat obesity. I’ve exercised twice a day and maintained a weight of over 300 lbs (now I’m at 212 lbs), so I know from whence I speak.

(Scott) #19

This kind of reminds me of how when I was attempting to reduce fat intake I looked at a healthy muffin and was like “holy crap this has 28g of fat!”. Fast forward to now I can have the fat but know the carbs from grain and sugars are bad. Same crap food but my reason for not eating has changed. I had no idea given all the bad advice I was given over the years.

To the fat people eating crap and following with a salad two things come to mind. 1) Salads can be deceiving and can be very carb loaded . 2) They may be just as human as the rest of us and be attempting to “make up” for other bad meal choices. Just look here at the amount of cheat meal, off the rails etc. reads in this forum alone.

As to fat shaming, I don’t think noticing what people eat or put in their cart is “fat shaming”. I truly feel for people that are suffering from metabolic syndrome, it is at some future point devastating. Spend a few hours in a dialysis clinic and the suffering that a poor diet causes becomes very real and difficult to see. Backup a year and a half ago and I was clueless about how bad carbs are on the body. Now I know but it is not for me to police strangers or call hem out. Only if asked will I tell them the secret I have found in keto WOE but I won’t point out what they may be doing wrong (IMO).

I will finish with a story a waiter told me decades ago. It was a place in Cincinnati that had huge hand pattied burgers, the kind you struggle to finish, and an all you can eat smorgasbord desert bar. He said a large woman came in a polished off the burger and made three trips to the desert bar. A week later she came back with her husband and ordered a dry salad.

(Susan) #20

I am very low blood sugar and snack every 3 hours, and I am thin. Right now I am at work snacking on cottage cheese and sugarless peanut butter.