Fat people at work

I dunno. I don’t care to assume either (because let’s face it…no one here knows their individual circumstances). I focus on my own focus.

(Scott) #22

When I was a carb burner this was me. I used to call it “my calorie crash”. I would shake so bad it was difficult to write. Snacking was still a habit after converting to keto. After I became fat adapted I realized it was something I could do without and stopped. I still have a bag of macadamia nuts by my desk but only eat them as a treat after lunch. Giving up snacking was a major victory for me.

(Karen ) #23

@Susa

I’m doing Keto to learn how to be healthy and fit and I’m not here to judge how others eat. I don’t think that helps anyone. It’s nice to encourage others and not judge or shame them when you don’t understand their struggles.

(Susan) #24

I have always enjoyed going to the gym, cycling outdoors, skiing and taking walks.
I love to move! That is why I am slim. Plus sensible eating. I am hypoglycemic too

(Scott) #25

That’s my point, I may notice but don’t judge. Heck I don’t even know these people. I guess it is like playing cards and seeing someone’s hand, You may not be a cheater but you can’t unsee them.

(Ken) #26

To answer your question, and this really applies to all fat people, is that they don’t understand the role of Glycogen. And how your levels control whether you’re in Lipolysis or Lipogenesis.

(Bob M) #27

That’s incorrect thinking. I rode my bike every summer, 60+ miles per week, building up to 1-2 centuries at the end of the summer, multiple 100k rides, etc. Did that while GAINING weight.

I’ve been lifting weights and exercising since before 1980, yet was still able to balloon up to 250+ pounds.

At one time, I thought sensible eating meant fat free. I would eat pasta, brown rice and beans, hot cereal (oats, malto-meal), rice cakes, etc. Caused hunger all the time.

Been low carb almost 6 years now. Today, I plan on fasting 36 hours, and will workout at about 32 hours. Then, I’ll eat two meals tomorrow. I plan on eating one meal on Wednesday, then two on Thursday-Sunday.

If you are hypoglycemic, there’s something wrong.

(hottie turned hag) #28

I love to sit on ass and I was always trim (until menopause) and now am again, since keto. :grinning:

As I always state what applies to one is not extrapolative to all.

#lazybutskinny

(Susan) #29

Yes, there is something wrong and proper diet is my medication.

(Bunny) #30

Based on genetics, age and pre-existing body fat in ratio to muscle volume:

If I had to choose between a salad or a donut, I think I would go with the salad and fat with some protein and I could eat more of it which is more filling?

I know I could live on one donut all day long and not eat anything else and still burn body fat (sedentary vs. active state) but that would not be very nutritious?

(Scott) #31

Don’t forget that carbs “make you hungry for more”.

(Bunny) #32

Yes, that is the sugar cycle which is hard to resist the feed me more loop.

('Jackie P') #33

I rather think if I explicitly said that I blamed my weight problem on "my hormones " and not overeating I would get a few looks of disbelief …

(Susan) #34

I feel much better with out sugar and carbs. Eggs, sugarless peanut butter and cottage cheese is my morning food routine.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #35

How low is your blood sugar? Is it constantly low? How often do you test?

Are you eating every three hours to keep your glucose levels up/stable? If you didn’t eat what would happen? Or if you ate a larger meal?

I would rather be fat (I’m not) and shove donuts in my mouth every day (I don’t) than have a holier-than-thou attitude because I eat healthy and exercise. I eat healthy too and exercise six days per week but would never look down on anybody because they don’t eat and work out the way I do. Let other people live their lives and you live yours.

Posts like yours remind me of why I don’t use any form of social media and rarely use forums.

(Mimi) #37

Hi Susa- wow! you sound really pi$$ed at these people! Maybe try to help them out? start an office Keto challenge? Anything that’ll get them to eat the way you think they should be eating.
Whatever it is be supportive, it really helps people who are struggling more than you realize. For some of us, losing weight is really really hard, age and life circumstances actually can play a huge role as hormones shift, years of poor eating catch up to us wreaking havoc on our endocrine systems, injuries occur making exercise painful. The list goes on and on. If these people you’re complaining about are in their late forties + chances are they grew up on the original food pyramid, low fat processed foods, and aspartame being healthy food choices, the Marlboro Man advertising cigarettes on TV, and Susan Powter telling us to “stop the insanity” and eat white potatoes all day long because they didn’t have fat. In other words, what we were taught and what we were exposed to chemically were much different messages than today, and the damage done isn’t so easy to undue.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. It’s a great group of people, who support each other’s efforts to get fit and healthy.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #38

I don’t think Susa sounded upset. I think she was genuinely trying to understand the mindset of her co-workers. It’s a valid question.

It’s hard to break habits. I’m having that fight with my 9 year old. Here’s upset that a year ago the whole family switched to eating keto. He likes the food, but still wants all the sugar snacks and foods here used to have. It doesn’t help that when he’s out of the house he’s given things that are carby junk. He knows they are bad for him, but still eats them because they are yummy. We may have to tell him (and sister) no snacks after their club because it’s just junk…even the “healthy” fruit options are sugary.

Habits are hard to break, especially if they involve comfort food.

Every response so far is great, so let me address the one about blaming age.

I was able to manage my weight, even on SAD, until I got older. Age does factor in, especially for women. I am guilty of spending most of my life believing that obesity is self-inflicted and was finally able to see how hard it is to be overweight in our society. Fortunately, keto fixed the weight issue and age related weight gain fixed my own biases.

(Mimi) #40

Yes, so true. It’s really hard. ESPECIALLY for kids when their friends get doughnuts and chips and all those types of snacks.

As for our new friend Susa, I’m as crabby as they come so I guess I thought of myself when I’ve been in those situations, even though I’m now one of those people (minus the doughnuts and salads) who struggle to lose weight.