Fat On Keto/Liver

Hi everyone,
Wanted to see if anybody had the same experience as me. I did keto multiple time but I was always bloated and I gained wait. Then I did higher my fat consuption and it got worst. So I ended up reducing my fat intake and then I begun to loose weight and not being bloating anymore. I have a very low fat intake (too low to consider to be on keto). Anybody with the same experience?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Everyone is different, but the key to being on keto is not fat intake, but carbohydrate intake. As long as you eat very little carbohydrate, you will be in ketosis. Then it is just a matter of figuring out if you need more protein and less fat, or less protein and more fat.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Numbers, please. What and how much of it are you eating?

(Allie) #4

We are all different. Were you forcing yourself to eat more fat just to reach a number of calories or macro percentage? The key to keto is carbs as low as possible as this is what makes your body burn it’s own stores of fat. Dietary fats are really just to replace the calories that are missing due to the reduced carbs. Sure we all need fats, but no sense in forcing crazy amounts of it doesn’t suit your body.

Per day I get 75g of protein - 75g of fat - 25g of carbs. That what I found works well to not being bloating.

(Allie) #6

Sounds perfect to me.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

675cal fat + 300cal protein + 100cal carbs = 1075 total cals per day. Unless you’re a midget that does not look healthy to me. It looks like a starvation diet, not a sustainable meal plan. Plus, the specifics of what you’re eating will affect your health. For example: olive oil or beef with fat on? I’m sure others will advise, but you need to provide more personal info to get meaningful suggestions. What you typically eat? Overall weight? BF%? Height? Age? Medical issues? Lifestyle - sedentary, exercise, etc?

I agree with others: keto isn’t about fat, 75g fat is fine - but it’s too low-cal. And info about what you actually eat would be helpful.

If you eat little enough carbs (no idea if 25g is right for you. I was in ketosis and got fat adapted with 35-40g on most days, it’s another thing I function loads better lower), it’s keto. Even fasting is keto as the carbs are low enogh (zero)… But we shouldn’t starve so it’s normal to eat “much” fat on keto. But our calorie needs are individual, someone with lots of body fat may get away with surprisingly little food as they can get a lot of energy from their fat reserves every day… And of course, our protein intake is there even though protein isn’t primarily our fuel source… If you ate 250g protein and not 75g, that would be different. I can eat 75g fat sometimes but I need much protein then (well okay, I need much protein anyway but I just can’t avoid high protein if my fat is that low. if I eat much fat, I may get away with 75g protein occasionally, it even happens on my low-meat OMAD days… my body seems to be okay with way more fat than protein and way more protein than fat alike (and everything in between), most people seem to have a preference. I have a preference too due to my tastes and usual dishes but extra days are fine too - and totally keto if my carbs are low).

I like what you said! It is not the first time I do Keto and I endup stopping because I can’t find the right ratio. I have to find a balance between fat and protein. But I digest animal fat better than vegetable fat (olive oil is a trigger-I get bloating. I am not even talk about avocado). Too much protein and I gain weight (glycogene). I probably have to increase to a point is right to me.

(Carnivore for the win) #10

I find that I have more trouble digesting animal fat when it is warm and soft. I cook my lunch in the morning, usually ground beef with butter, then let it cool in a glass container in a cooler with ice. When I digest solidified fat with protwin, my digestion is much better with less nausea. Another way, is to cook meat, then eat it warm, with small amounts of cold butter with each bite. That is one way I was about to get enough fat in my diet.

Another tech ique to get enough fat to feel energized, is bullet proof coffee. I prefer it as decaf, with butter and heavy whipping cream. I don’t drink it much anymore, but it really helped my transition into a new way of eating.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #11

Without knowing any necessary specifics - and I once again recommend you provide these so others can suggest realistic options to you - I will say only: drop the carbs to sub 20 grams total per day. Eat fat and protein sufficient to satisfy your hunger. Do not let yourself feel hungry all day! Avoid eating anything that ever gave you problems, like olive oil for example. Best wishes.

What. Why is having glycogen reserves a problem for you…? We want to avoid too much body fat, glycogen is fine! They are there for a reason, to fuel the muscles, they are good…
I am not sure what does it have to do with protein intake but if some extra protein becomes glycogen, it sounds perfect to me…

(It’s interesting. I never gain weight when I suddenly eat over 200g protein… Should I? :D)

Animal fat better than vegetable oil. 75g to 100g of meat/fish with 100g of 3 different types of vegetables (300g per meal cruciferious vegetables are usually my favorites) per meal- lunch and dinner only .145lbs try to go back to 130 lbs - 33y/o - housewife - run 5days a week in the morning for 20mins. No medical issues at all but my liver seems to not digest fat easily. Already checked if i had a fatty liver or a weak gallblader but the result came back negative. I also check for hormonal issues but nothing.

(Jane) #14

How tall are you?

5.7. Also I took this weight from two pregnancies.

(Jane) #16

You are not overweight so it will take longer to lose the extra fat on keto and you may have to do a lot of tweaking since your body may be comfortable at this new weight post-pregnancy and could be stubborn to give up those last few pounds.

Hey,
Just would like to write what happened to me in case someone has the same problem in the futur.
First thank you everyone for your help, your tips. To be short the bloating was the big problem it was because I had a low HCL and a leptin resistance. With a low acid in myy stomach it was hard to digest the small amount of fat/meat I was getting. With the leptin resistance I was always hungry. I got some supplements and in few days I saw the change it was magic. The leptin resistance was because of years of carbs. The low HCL was because of years of… « binge alcohol ». My ratio was actually good. I was stuck at 145lbs on my first message and I went down to 129lbs without sport or fasting.

Great to hear that you found a resolution!

Which supplements did you use to resolve the low HCL?

I use « pure encapsulations » betaine hcl pepsin on amazon. There is a test you can do to find out if you have low stomac acid. First think in the morning you mix 1/4 tsp of baking soda in 4 ounces of water and drink the solution. If you burp between 0 to 3min you are fine. If you burp after 3min you have low acid.

No such thing, keto doesn’t have any minimum fat requirement

That’s because you were eating way more than your metabolism allowed, fat is over twice as calorie dense as protein and carbs. I’d also recommend digestive aids if you’re bloating.