Fat burns in a Carbohydrate Flame - Yes, But... So Much More In Other Ways

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Does it make evolutionary sense that humans evolved in such a way that our greatest energy stores, ie fat, are not accessible unless we first eat carbs? The whole contention that fat burns only in the flame of carbohydrates originated in 1906. It was an erroneous conclusion based on a simple mistaken observation and interpretation of fat metabolism. Eades points out that contradictory evidence has been around since the 1950s, yet this misunderstanding of fat metabolism remains cemented in biology texts and general understanding.

PS: If fats only burned in the flame of carbohydrates, I think human beings would still be just another primate living in the trees of equatorial Africa eating mostly bananas.

Balancing Fat Intake with Muscle loss
Balancing Fat Intake with Muscle loss
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

(Central Florida Bob ) #3

Last line of the abstract: " Finally, both muscle fat and carbohydrate burn in an amino acid flame." I like a good jab as much as anyone.

Interesting paper.

(Bob M) #4

Upping the amino acids = more flame? :wink:

(Bob M) #5

Ever watch Expedition Unknown?

https://www.discovery.com/shows/expedition-unknown/humanity-s-ancient-ancestors-pictures

He visits that Maasai, where they show how the Maasai cut into the jugular of a cow to withdraw blood, and he drinks some.

He then goes on a hunt with the Hazda. (Maybe in part 2?) They go hunting and find a wild boar. The boar gets away (never on camera), but gores one of the Hazda’s dogs. Then they continue and find a feline species, I can’t remember the name. They kill that, and that’s what they got for their hunting. And it did not look that big, between mountain lion and bobcat, is the size it looked to me. All that work for not a lot of meat.