Fat bombs - good or bad

When people ask why they aren’t losing weight, I keep reading- “cut out those fat bombs”

So what makes a fat bomb bad and alternatively what makes a good one?
What’s your fav, best Keto fat bomb? Or what’s your reason for not having them at all- and go!!

(Bunny) #2

Here is how I make keto fat bombs they are super high in micronutrients. You may want something more simple though?

That’s a lot of ingredients! Mine are usually just coconut oil, black cocoa powder and maybe a raw nut butter or hemp hearts. I count all the macros and divide them equally so I know exactly what’s in them. Usually eat 2 a day… :woman_shrugging:t2:

(Carl Keller) #4

I feel like eating artificially sweetened fat bombs, which mimic foods that put our health in jeopardy in the first place, is like trying to trick the brain into believing it’s getting something we quit for our own good. To me, it’s much the same as quitting beer because of alcoholism only to drink non-alcoholic beer.

Also, when you make a bunch of fat bombs with the intention of eating them over a certain amount of time, the temptation for “just one more” is right there on the table. I’m not sure about everyone else, but I had many plans in the past to eat just 1 cookie and it ended up being 3 or 5.

(Bunny) #5

Thing about having fat bombs around within immediate reach is they come in handy if you get that sudden urge to fall off the wagon! (the escape route)

Some nice recipes if you don’t like atomic space bunny’s barbaric recipe:

Beautifully done:

Savory pizza fat bombs my favorite

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I have never made or eaten one, I agree with @CarlKeller that for me it’s best to leave the sweets habit behind. I think I get enough fats from cooking and don’t need extra. I’m trying to burn body fat, not at the maintenance level yet. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #7

:slight_smile: A dash of Spirulina, a smidgeon of powdered unicorn horn, and a pinch organic basalt from the mountains of Azkaban … and you would have a magical concoction … :joy::rofl: just teasing - I tried it but found it a tad bitter.

My favourite are mini-muffin style omelettes. Made with spinach, feta cheese, eggs :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:, coconut oil etc and baked. Then left as snacks in the fridge for when I get peckish or the kids want some. We play around with different flavours depending on what’s I the fridge.

If I am looking to celebrate or craze something a little sweeter, we make mini-cheecakes using egg, cream cheese, sour cream and half a cache of X50 favouring (its a matcha green tea drink powder with artificial sweeteners). The base is literally ground macadamia nuts and butter. Again set in small muffin cups and we pressure cook them. They are delicious but again be cautious of anything with artificial sugars. My daughter simply crushes a small handful of her favourite berries and swirls it in the batter before we dollop it onto the base.

(Bunny) #8

Exactly “bitter” hence barbaric bush bunny type stuff :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

I did fat bombs in the beginning. The overly artificially sweet kind and overate them too. Now if I want a sweet something it’s bakers chocolate with a touch of sweetener or a tea with cream. But mostly I don’t crave them anymore, those bedtime snacks.

I’ve never used sweetners in mine as I don’t like sweet things. I just like the dark cocoa flavor. I’m also fine just eating 1 or 2.
I was really just wondering if there was some evil thing I didn’t know about lol.
As someone who hasn’t lost a single pound, I am now looking at anything I could be doing wrong!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #11

Oh, I see. If you’re using fat bombs to meet a fat macro (like from an app) and you aren’t losing weight to drop the extra fat for fat’s sake and just eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full. If your body wants more fat, let it eat your fat.

(Bunny) #12

Fat is very satiating that’s why they are good to have on hand as training wheels, the more you eat them like after a meal, the more you won’t want anything (my experience) and if you do eat them in-between meals your going to be burning the dietary fat and triggering glucagon (if your fat bomb has protein/meat) rather than triggering insulin from the sugar in that donut or Twinkie you might otherwise eat?

(Omar) #13

I always thought they are bad regardless of the popularity

I’ve stopped tracking the numbers. I just know that I’m still scared of the fat so I don’t eat that much. Popping a fat bomb after a meal seems to work to keep me satisfied. I’ve been doing 18/6 for the last 3 days as I’m just not that hungry anymore. I know I’m not over eating. Probably under eating, but I’m at a point where I can’t eat a lot or more than twice a day. I do just love having the bombs in the freezer :woman_shrugging:t2:

(Bunny) #15

(Cindy) #16

Because your body is going to use fat for fuel…whether it’s from your plate or your body is up to you. I normally don’t use fat bombs because I have plenty of fat in storage.

Already mentioned it above. :wink: I also like what others have said about the sweet ones, though. Too much like sugar pre-keto. In fact, I have some monk fruit sweetener and Lakanto chocolate drink mix that I really like…but once they’re gone, I won’t buy any more because I think, in the long run, it’s keep me wanting something sweet more often.

A hyper dense calorie explosion. For example coffee with MCT oil, 3 sticks of butter, topped with double cream and probably dynamite = 800 Calories.

Some people imagine they can have 6 of them a day because some other bloke says he has 5.

I don’t bother because normal food is sufficient. Coffee with cream is as funky as I get.

(Laura) #18

My favorite is cheesecake pudding. I did not ever realize it was a ft bomb until some one here mentioned that it was. I make it rarely, but get a hankering once in a while.

I make it with:
1 8 oz block of cream cheese
1 cup of sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
Splenda to taste, I like it sweeter so I use a cup of Splenda
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped

The cream cheese should be softened. I usually microwave for 40 seconds, then add the sour cream, vanilla and splenda. Blend until smooth and fold in the whipped cream. Refrigerate. I eat about 1/2 cup for a serving - a ramekin size bowl.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #19

If you can control yourself they are fine, especially at the beginning when you may need more diatary fat. But if you aren’t losing it may be time to reevaluate whether or not you want to eat them. If you do find you aren’t getting enough fat but don’t want to feed the sugar beast, there are savory ones too. I usually just grab a couple slices of cheese and call it good.

(Bob M) #20

I stopped eating all fat bombs a while (one or two years) ago. Fat is not filling to me, and I always overate. Now, I’ll have a pickled egg or ham instead.