Fasting with non-fasting family

(Jessica) #1

I currently IF, but would like to branch out into extended fasting.

I have a husband and two children and am not sure if/how fasting will impact our family dinners. I’m looking to hear from those who have fasted with non-fasting family (especially young children) to see how they handled family meal times. My husband is absolutely on board with Keto (he’s the cook and preps Keto meals) and is supportive of fasting. My main concern is my children - I don’t want to use this valuable tool in the wrong way and ruin their healthy relationships with food/eating.

(Jon Barclay) #2

When I fast I still sit down to dinner with my family. I make a big bowl of broth and just have my “soup”. So much of dinner is social with everyone talking about their days.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #3

I’m at day 14 of a fast and I try to sit with my wife for a meal every day. We are going to visit our granddaughters in a couple of weeks and I will still be fasting then and again will have every meal with them.

I like the idea of having the broth soup and will have to keep that in mind.

(Jessica) #4

Thank you! This was one thing I was considering…glad to hear it worked!

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #5

I normally just have coffee and a glass of water.

(Sara Lamberto) #6

So, how would one explain fasting to kids if they notice? My kids are so darn observant and inquisitive I would never get away with an extended fast without being noticed (especially given my previous eating habits.)

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #7

I would explain to them that you are doing this to help your body heal some things inside. Encourage them to ask questions and if you can’t answer them, tell them you will get an answer and come back to the forum and ask!

Be sure to ensure them that fasting is not appropriate for children under 18 and you will not expect them to do it!

(Barbara Greenwood) #8

A slightly different tack under the same heading - is anyone coping with opposition to fasting from their spouse?

My husband has accepted my keto eating (he eats more carbs), and fasts one day a week with me, but is horrified by the idea of me fasting longer. To be clear, I haven’t asked him to fast longer with me, the implication would be he would be eating on his own (or while I drink coffee/tea/broth) rather than expecting him to fast - though at the rate he gets through chocolate and biscuits while I eat nothing, he shouldn’t really find that a problem! I might expect him to prepare his own food, though.

Anyone had this and dealt with it successfully? It’s daft - I don’t need his permission, and he’d be the first one to say that. But I’m not comfortable doing it if he’s really not happy.

(Sara Lamberto) #9

Thanks…I definitely don’t want to contribute/cause any kind of disordered eating in my kids and that is a good way to approach it.

(Marc) #10

@ron-coleman beautiful answer. That’s what I was going to say and that’s what I do with my kids. I forward my kids articles that I see and try and challenge them to eat better (less junk food, more whole food, etc). I want them to know exactly what I’m doing and why I’m doing it. It’s a great teaching tool. Also, it’s a way to show them what they want/don’t want to do if they don’t want to end up in the same situation I’m in.