Fasting with a cold?

(Mike Price) #1

I have only done a couple of 48 hour fasts, but was planning to join the Zorn fast for the first time in a couple of days. Then I get this pesky cold two days before the fast. Is fasting ok when your body is trying to fight off an infection, or should I just wait for better health?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #2

Some people actually have said it made their cold easier to deal with. Less symptoms and phlegm.

You could start the fast. Just stop if it isn’t doable. :slight_smile:

(Mike Price) #3

Thanks @Brenda. I think I will give it a go if my elevated body temp returns to normal by tomorrow, otherwise wait a few more days.

(De Anna) #4

I’d like to know how that fasting with a cold went. I’ve got the flu (fever, sore throat, chest congestion) and fasting through it seems like a great idea, especially since I’m not very hungry. But I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I feel so crappy, I wanted something to make me feel better, and food therapy and I go way back. Anyone tried fasting for quicker cold/flu healing?

(Mike Price) #5

DeAnna
I started the fast last Thursday, after the fever had broken, but while still suffering through typical chest congestion and coughing. I only made it through about 46 hours fasting though. I don’t think it was the cold that kept me from going further though - that second day is just plain mentally tough for me. I have a mental block being able to push past 2 days, healthy or sick. I was concerned that I might relapse on the cold if I did not fuel my body to fight it off. However, 6 days later the cold is a distant memory.

One cold-related challenge was cough medicine. I avoided the typical OTC cough syrups for days because of the sweeteners in the suspension syup. The cough kept me up at night as a result, and after several days, I broke down and took the cough syrup. It triggered predictable cravings, but it was the best night sleep I had in days.

Mike

(De Anna) #6

Thanks for sharing your experience, Mike. Ive noticed some fasts are harder or easier than others, not progressively easier as some say. And the mental strength seems to make all the difference. So, in response to feeling crappy with the flu, ive eaten most of the crackers that remained in the house from last weekends cocktail party. I found stale Cherios and ate them with ice cream. It has been a royal wagon fall-off. Maybe i should have tried the fasting after all. The carbs didnt taste as good as i thought they would.

Stale Cheerios?! Oh, sweetheart…go big or go home. Ain’t no way stale Cheerios can satisfy anyone’s palate. Keep some bacon or boiled eggs or full fat cheese or something in the fridge that would be an easy “cheat” over Cheerios. :slight_smile:

If you can’t make it through a fast, maybe it’s too long. Start short, and slowly extend the durations, building up the endurance. Meanwhile, keep high fat “cheat” foods at the ready.

(De Anna) #8

It was a rediculous rebellion.

(Jennifer) #9

I think the best thing to eat when you are sick would be bone broth. Keeps you hydrated and your electrolytes up.

You body tends to deal with attacks better in a fasting state, it doesn’t have to focus on food and can just focus on fighting off whatever.

(Victor Calteaux) #10

Im 72 y/o and Vegan for 45 years … hardly ever suffer colds… ( nevet get flu) however i have an 8 day cold at the moment … couldnt shake usual symptoms… little improvement for 5 days …
Been fasting for 3 and 90% improved but im going to the Dr today just to satisfy loved ones around me concerned about my healing strategy