Fasting Tiredness

(Tovan Nhsh) #1

A little background: Been strict keto for close to three years. I’m always well into ketosis when I check (blood) & IF is generally a part of my day. The exact time frame for eating fluctuates, but there’s normally at least a fourteen hour fast.

I am currently 63 hours into my first extended fast. All in all it’s been a breeze, with the exception of being incredibly tired. It started around the forty hour mark & is still with me. I’ve been sleeping great at night, but this morning I felt like I could just go back to bed. Is this common during fasting?

I drink roughly two liters of water a day & am supplementing with sea salt (both under the tongue & shooting it mixed with water). Any other ideas/concerns you can think of?

(Chris) #2

Usually feelings on a fast come and go in waves, and sometimes the waves are longer than other times. Usually it’s something a person can grit their teeth through, however if it’s overwhelming there’s absolutely no shame in stopping earlier than planned.

When in doubt, add more fat.

(Tovan Nhsh) #4

It’s not severe by any means, just didn’t expect it/understand it.

(Tovan Nhsh) #5

I’m trying to keep it to water/black coffee. But thanks anyway :slight_smile:

I always add some butter or coconut oil to my coffee while fasting, seems to help keep things balanced.

(Chris) #7

This is the right idea. There’s nothing to “keep balanced” by adding fat to a fast.

(betsy.rome) #8

I have also experienced tiredness if fasting more than 16 hrs. On longer IF fasts (36-44 hrs), I can get very tired; last night I checked my BG on my meter and it was 79, so I didn’t take my evening Metformin dose, and decided to go to bed early rather than feel my hunger. Even though I added fat to my coffee & other drinks yesterday, I was cold and could not warm up. Nighty night. This morning I was down 2.2 lbs from yesterday, with good energy.

(Renee Slaughter) #9

Potassium and magnesium? There is a Ketoaide recipe on the forums. Seems to help

(Tovan Nhsh) #10

I forgot to mention I take magnesium. Somewhat paranoid of potassium though as I notice heart palp’s when I supplement with it.

A lot of processes in the body slow down while fasting, I can see how tiredness can be a symptom. I’m on day 4 of a water only fast and I’ve snuck in a few naps, no harm in that. It is a time of rest and cleansing after all.

(Andrew) #12

SALT. SALT. SALT.

Like a few teaspoons a day.

(Tovan Nhsh) #13

I hit three teaspoons the last day. It seemed to help for a few minutes but nothing dramatic. I finally ended the fast at the 70 hour mark. The tiredness & irritability continued through the next day though, not to mention any/all food, though good while consuming, led to intense nausea afterwards. There’s something I’m missing…just not sure what it is yet. Either way thanks to everyone for offering suggestions.

What is your history of fasting? It gets easier and easier every time from my experience. Some people even begin to enjoy fasting as I have recently. I doubt you are missing some secret mineral or something, it is likely just your body adjusting. Fasting is good for all most aspects of your health but that doesn’t mean every one of your body’s complex systems will be on board immediately.

I found early on that bone broth was a nice pick-me-up, both physically and emotionally. Throw in a little ghee or butter too, and of course lots of salt. Good luck!

(Tovan Nhsh) #15

Do you include bone broth still or was that only in the beginning?

I no longer need or crave bone broth while fasting, but in the beginning it’s helpful to most people. The same goes for HWC in coffee, etc. In the beginning it’s fine but you might grow out of it so the speak. Water only is desirable in my opinion but it really depends on the reason for your fast, if you are fasting to decrease your insulin levels then adding a little broth or fat isn’t an issue. If you are going for autophagy also then it pays to be a little more strict but you can work up to that.

(Tovan Nhsh) #17

Thanks for the reply! My main purpose is autophagy so I went water only. With the possibility that tolerance to fasting can develop I can try the broth next time & try to wean off of it gradually.

Don’t get me wrong, you can go cold turkey and do water only. It just makes your first few fasts a little rough, especially days 2-3 for me. If you are doing it for autophagy you could always do broth the first few days and then water only for the rest. From what I’ve read going 7-days on water only at least once a year is a good start. But it gets easier and easier I promise. I’m on day 3 right now and I feel 110%, I did the same fast last week and I was dragging ass by day 3. Gotta exercise the fasting muscle.

(Tovan Nhsh) #19

If you don’t mind my asking, any idea/guess as to your body fat percentage?

(Lonnie Hedley) #20

Last EF I too did water only (after a cup of black coffee the first two mornings). I would say somewhere around your time of tiredness I too became extremely tired so I “took a nap”. For 14 hours. I was fine for the next 24-36 hours to close out the fast. I’m probably 18% body fat if I were to make a guess. Maybe less. Still enough fat to last the 108+ hours I did the liquid only fast. I plan on doing 3+ days every month with the other Zornfasters.