Fasting struggles

(Sandra) #1

Hi All,

I have been doing 16:8 for a while and normally have no problems waiting until 12 or 1pm to have lunch. Have done 24 hour fasts occasionally and now wanted to try a 3 day fast. ButI think mentally the thought of not eating for a long period of time has made me a bit anxious and so even though it’s only been 12 hours and only 10am, I’m already starting to feel the triggers of wanting to eat.
Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like it’s a psychological thing more than physical.
I’m at work at the moment so it’s probably a good thing, fear that it will be much harder once i’m at home.

:persevere:

(Robert C) #2

Yes, you’ve told yourself you will deprive yourself of food (even through there is food all around and easily accessible).

Tell yourself this is completely normal, for many many years in our evolution, people had to go without.

Tell yourself you are interested in where this rabbit hole goes, it is actually interesting how you change in day 3 (and 4 and 5, it seems lots of people shoot for 3 days and just keep going as they feel fine).

If you have just done a few 24 hour fasts, you’ve done half of the hardest part (the first two days).

Once you get past those, the fast (I think for most people) becomes easy.

But also, subsequent fasts become much easier in their first two days because you realize that, in fact, it doesn’t just get harder and harder for all of the days of the fast.

Yes, at 12 hours it is much more psychological and mental than physical. You will just have to focus on what you will gain by fasting rather than the deprivation. And hours 22-26 and then 44-50 could be even tougher. Just know that and prepare for it. You are stronger. Many of us fight this off and break through. The third and fourth days are smooth sailing. Its getting past those troughs and waves that are the key.

Water, particularly electrolyte waters and carbonated waters, along with salt are your friends. Try drinking some dill pickle juice as well. So is activity. You don’t have to be physically working out (but it helps), just keep occupied.

Even watching TV can help – just make sure the program provides engrossment and not mindless crap like most sitcoms. Binge watch something on NetFlix or Amazon Prime. Opt for movies with a complex plot that will occupy your mind for two or more hours. As you can see, a lot of mind games at play here.

If you’re not a movie or TV buff, there is always a good book. Even sitting and reading all these posts about fasting on this forum can occupy time and give you insight as well as encouragement. Avoid the threads involving foods and meals.

For example, I bet you haven’t thought about food while reading and digesting this reply.

Remember, your brain is sneaky when it comes to wanting you to eat. It makes excuses and reasons with you as to why you should break your fast. It even justifies overeating. But you can consciously prepare for this onslaught. Just by knowing its coming your way is power.

Good luck with your fast. By the way, I am in hour 44 of a 72-hour plus fast and it is a bear right now.

(Sandra) #4

That’s so true, I started with the mentality that I am going to be ‘deprived’ so I started to feel anxious.
I will need to keep reminding myself why I’ve chosen to start the fast! health health health!
Thanks Rob :grinning:

(Sandra) #5

Oh Gosh… I can’t imagine what it will be like at 22 and 44… hopefully I get to that point first though!
I will definitely be spending a lot of time with Netflix haha. Good thing I started painting again recently so that will keep me occupied.
You are right! I wasn’t thinking about it when I reading your reply, how our mind tricks us sometimes :tired_face:

Good luck to you too!

By the way, follow RobC above as much as possible, a really good source of info and insight

But you won’t find much sympathy and bedside manner from us guys on here. We don’t have to deal with all the hormonal obstacles.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #7

The first time I fasted for 24 hours I was worried too. I didn’t know if I could hack it or deal with the hunger. But once I got going I kept myself busy and it flew by. I also started with a bone broth fast. After the first 24 hours, I thought that wasn’t so bad so I extended it to 48.

(Sandra) #8

I wasn’t able to prepare any bone broth prior but will definitely be doing that tonight in case I do need some to help me through!

On this tip, if you like gaming consoles (mine is PS4), dive into your favorite game. I play Fallout 76 online with my boyfriend. I did my first 91 hour fast a few weeks ago. I got so engrossed in that Fallout world, I didn’t even think about the fact that it had been over 48 hours since I had eaten. You have to keep your water and electrolytes nearby though.

I had planned only to do 72 hours on that fast, but by the time I reached 72, I felt great and kept going. But yeah, it really is a mind game. But along the way you also start feeling more and more empowered.

(Sandra) #10

Thanks everyone, I think once I got over the anxiety I was ok. I don’t feel hunger and I think I just want to eat for the idea of eating. Physically I feel good and stomach not rumbling or anything. Definitely a mind game!

(Marius the butter craving dude) #11

To be honest I think of fasting as a time of healing and a challenge to myself.
I do feel hunger (at specific hours) and every time the hunger passes I feel strong. I think to myself that if I am healthy I am capable of doing this.

(Diane) #12

Here is an article from the IDM website about the helpfulness of “fat fasting” (their term, not mine) in getting over the hump to start a 24 hour (or longer) fast.

https://idmprogram.com/what-is-fat-fasting-and-when-should-you-do-it/

(Sandra) #13

I’ve been telling myself that this is benefiting my body and health.

I actually know that I’m not physcially hungry because I don’t have real ‘I am going to die if I don’t eat feeling’. More like a ‘humm a steak would be nice now’ kind of feeling. haha

But will keep on drinking water and herbal tea to help me through.

(Sandra) #14

Thanks so much! Will read it now :blush: