Fasting Pep Talk

(Rosi ) #1

Hi there, I have been mostly keto since August of 2016. I say “mostly” because I have had a few slip ups along the way. Anyway, I keep finding myself incredibly weak lately. I want to fast, but I am having a difficult time starting and staying fasted. I typically fast about 14 hours a day but I do drink one coffee with HWC every morning. I would really like to do a fast lasting at least three days. I would like to have the benefit of autophagy and clear thinking. Can you guys give me some pointers or just some encouragement to keep me going. I am tired of not following through! That is what is driving me crazy. I start and then the minute someone sets the mixed nuts out, I am done! Thanks in advance!

(Roy D) #2

I found the book “The Complete Guide to Fasting” (by Jason Fung & Jimmy Moore) a good reference on the topic.

I also find the “2 Keto Dudes” and “The Obesity Code” podcasts inspirational. Some episodes contain discussions on Intermittent Fasting (IF), others contain good information related to the Keto Diet.

Within one of the podcasts was a suggestion to ingest some salt when you get a craving for food during IFing. (Place a small amount of salt on your tongue, wash it down with some liquid.) This may help.

Food such as bone broth, or bullion cubes may also help.

It may also help to understand the longest amount of time you have gotten into IF so far.

Best of luck.

(Rosi ) #3

Oh yes, I totally listen to 2 Keto Dudes and The Obesity Code. In fact I am listening to the Q and A now while I grade papers. I don’t have The Complete Guide to Fasting. It isn’t really a lack of knowledge of why to fast, it is more of me finding the will to fast. I need to find the wherewithal to keep going no mater what.

(Roy D) #4

The other topic that has not been identified here is if your are diabetic.

Diabetics when on medication, when fasting may become hypoglycemic. If you have access to a blood glucose meter, testing when you feel weak may indicate a condition of low blood sugar. Low blood glucose levels can be dangerous.

Even if you are not diabetic, if you test for your blood glucose level, and it is low, then eating a small amount of carbs can help you feel better without significantly kicking you out of ketosis. JMO

(Rosi ) #5

I have never had a diabetic diagnosis. However, before I began my ketogenic journey I felt like I was pre-diabetic. I am very sensitive to wheat and sugar. I do have a glucometer and have never been low. I have had a few high readings in the 160’s after eating. I am getting an HBA1C next week just to satisfy my own curiosity.

I would get a fasting buddy! Someone that you don’t want to disappoint. I’m doing a 3 day fast right now (51 hours in and counting!) and I had to stay home from work today with a house full of delicious keto food (temptation) with a sick toddler (stress!). The only reason I didn’t break was knowing that I would have to call my best friend who lives 1000 miles away and I have convinced to come on this 3 day fast with me and tell him that I ended my fast early! You can do it! Good luck!

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #7

Roy- I used the salt trick for the first time on Thurs. I was getting strong hunger pangs. It worked! I don’t use 1/4tsp like Carl :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Just a pinch under the tongue until dissolved then swished it around a little. Followed with water. I was comfortable enough to move on with my day. Repeated as necessary and successfully completed a 36hr fast. Going for another round today!

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I would suggest the following.

For support and to pick up lots of tips, I suggest you get involved with this subforum
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/c/fast/IF
especially this thread, it is a large on going support group for IF and extended fasters.

You can join in the Zornfast, most months the third week Thurs. to Sunday.
As someone else suggested get a buddy you have to call if you fall off the fasting wagon. You should get a few 24 hr. fasts completed then extend those to 36 hr. and then doing 48 hr. you get better the longer you practice. Few can just jump in and do 3-5 day fasts, it can be done but not many are successful at that according to Megan Ramos.

Watch your electrolytes. If they get out of balance, it is very hard to continue fasting. Keep salt very handy, purse salt is a thing :sunglasses:

Read Dr. Fung’s fasting guide book, listening to podcasts is one thing, having the book to refer back to, is another thing. Besides, one of the keys to a successful fast is thinking about other things besides the food you are not eating, so reading is a great thing to do. Walking while listening to the podcasts is good too. The Obesity Code Q&A had some excellent info on autophagy. Seems if you have any protein during a fast, diary has that, autophagy stops.

KCFO
KCKO

(Rosi ) #9

Thank you for your help! I have done one fast for about 36 hours. I did keep a baggie of Himalayan salt in my purse. I did fine but that was almost 6 months ago. I want to try again. Lately I have been obsessing about food and I think it is because I had a recent fall off the wagon. Those sugar cravings come back unfortunately. Anyway, today has been a feast day and I plan on starting now. I ate supper about an hour ago. I need to pick up Dr. Fung’s fasting book. I would love to do the ZornFast this month as well. I want to break through some barriers. I have seen myself drifting backwards and I feel like this is not an option. I have sleep apnea and I am pretty sure I was insulin resistant. I cannot and do not want to revert to old ways. I feel like it is a life or death situation and I want to live! I want to live a vibrant and abundant life! Thank you all so much for the support and advice!

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #10

Me too, me too! :raising_hand_woman:‍♀ :hugs: