Fasting not Working?

I am in the 40th hour of my planned 48 hour fast,i am about to just throw in the towel.I have been on keto for about 5-6 months and have lost 82 lbs so far.
In my 40th hour i am only .4 ketones according to my precision xtra meter.While i am eating keto,i usually run about .5
I have no idea what’s going on,although i have lost over 80 lbs,i am still obese at 211 lbs being 5’ 10" tall,i really thought autophagy would have kicked in a lot sooner.I have had nothing to eat in last 40 hours except for 16oz of electrolyte water which consists of,no salt,baking soda,calm magnesium powder and pink salt

(Shayne) #2

Please don’t throw in the towel. When I EF, my ketones don’t jump till the third day. I hope that helps!

If your goal is to maximize autophagy, don’t drink anything except water. High levels are reached after about 3 days. Ketone levels and weight loss are not indictive of autophagy.

Given your weight, it’s likely that you’re metabolically deranged. It could take 3-4 days of fasting to get into deep ketosis- high BK and low BG. The weight loss that’s likely to occur under this condition is nice. More importantly, over time, it rests the pancreas, resensitizes hormone receptors, and lowers body setpoint.

I’ve used extended fasting as my primary tool for losing weight. There are numerous reasons why I chose it, including that
it maximized the chance of keeping the weight off because it addressed the underlying physiological issue.

(Robert C) #4

Hi @womper - the thing to keep in mind here is your measure of ketones in the blood is just that - just the amount you have created but not yet used. You are probably producing more keytones at hour 40 of a fast than if you were in a fed state but, at the same time, your body is using them - keeping the amount left over in the blood lower. Especially if you are fully fat adapted, these numbers aren’t “higher is better” like they were at the beginning (where just knowing you were producing ketones is important). In the long run the body wants to be efficient - not wanting to over produce ketones.

As far as I know, there is no way to measure autophagy - you can only water fast and hope some occurs.

Better measures to pay attention to when fasting are actual body measurements and the (usually) accompanying positive feelings of mental clarity.