Fasting lightheadedness and yard work

(Thurston ) #1

Ok so I did some fasting over the weekend which I’ve done before 18/6 then fasted again overnight about 12 hrs or so.
We had a fence on a rental property damaged in Florence so I went to repair it.

I had taken my high bp meds in the morning before I’d left to do the repair.

I had to dig the fence posts out as they were set in concrete. Here’s where my issue started. I was great for the first 45 minutes or so then I started to get a bit lightheaded and extremely dry.

I had to sit for a few then I could resume.
Each time I started to dig I could do less and less without rest.

Thank goodness my landscaper showed up and we finished the project without incident.

I had all I could do to drive home.

I chugged 4 bottles of water and had an omelette took a shower and by then I was sorted out.

Ok so my question is this. Was it the fast and dehydration or the bp meds that caused this issue once the strenuous labor was introduced?

I have lost about 60lbs over the last 6 months also wondering how much this plays into the equation

Ok I’ll hang up now and listen to your response.

(Bob M) #2

I’m on carvedilol and lisinopril. If I fast too much, I will get dizzy, typically when standing. In fact, the longest I’ve been able to fast is 5.5 days, and I stopped because I kept getting dizzy when standing.

And losing weight also plays into the combination, but how much is unclear.

So, I’d say it was a combination of factors.

I do stuff like delay taking my morning medication until after I exercise, as if I do not, I’ll get dizzy when weight lifting.

Does this help?

(Thurston ) #3

Sure. Thanks, maybe I’ll go back to the bp meds at night. I hate to do that because they do have a diuretic effect. Peeing at night makes me miserable but not as miserable as passing out in the yard.

(Bunny) #4

Your probably getting enough sodium, potassium and magnesium and B-complex vitamins (preferably from natural sources)?

I am curious about something, do you by any chance use artificial sweeteners?

I notice this happens to me when I have used them in the past!

I see you take blood pressure meds, your blood pressure might be going too low because you have become too healthy for your blood pressure meds, so maybe check with your doctor about that?

References:

1. “… Some types of low blood pressure include: Low blood pressure on standing up (orthostatic, or postural, hypotension). …” “… But in people with orthostatic hypotension, this compensating mechanism fails and blood pressure falls, leading to dizziness, lightheadedness, blurred vision and even fainting. …” …More

(Thurston ) #5

No sweeteners. Not sure about the other stuff from natural sources however I do supplement all of those but potassium.

Bp was good at last doc visit but you know they attribute it to the meds not the woe change.

We just moved and I have to find a new doc so we’ll have a heart to heart soon.

(Bunny) #6

Some other important info from the Mayo Clinic including endocrine function could be an effect mimicked by fasting:

“…The causes of low blood pressure can range from dehydration to serious medical or surgical disorders. It’s important to find out what’s causing your low blood pressure so that it can be treated.

• Lack of nutrients in your diet. A lack of the vitamins B-12 and folate can keep your body from producing enough red blood cells (anemia), causing low blood pressure.
  • Endocrine problems. Thyroid conditions such as parathyroid disease, adrenal insufficiency (Addison’s disease), low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) and, in some cases, diabetes can trigger low blood pressure. …” …More

(Thurston ) #7

Thanks for doing my homework bunny!!

Oh then there’s this rid bit

and, in some cases, diabetes can trigger low blood pressure. …

(bulkbiker) #8

Maybe try not taking the BP meds for a week and see how you go? Do you have a home monitor so you can test your own BP? My mother was on BP lowering meds and has been for years. She recently had a fall and went to hospital … they said she had extremely low BP…! Meds stopped and she’s been fine since… a sudden lack of dizzy spells has been noted.

(Thurston ) #9

Good thinking. I think I’ll give this a shot.

95/60

(Jane ) #10

My Husband is also on multiple meds and we have had to adjust them as we go. He was on Chlorthalidone, Lisinopril and Norvasc. We have removed the Norvasc ( I happen to have an awesome Doc, we have a home unit and send him readings so we don’t just randomly remove a drug). He has been off the Norvasc amost a month, we think the Clorthalidone will be next as it is a diuretic and with insulin coming dow this is needed less. You can work with your Dc to remove or lower doses…

(Thurston ) #11

I’m looking forward to finding a new doc. See how this T2 high bp cholesterols and gerd shakes out with them.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

(Bob M) #12

You have a BP of 95/60? And you’re still standing? That is awfully low.

I personally think blood pressure is just another way to sell drugs. See this, for instance:

For me, I have idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. I’m trying to find a cardiologist who will let me lower my dosages or even remove them, but that’s like finding a cardiologist who doesn’t prescribe statins. They’re rare.

(Thurston ) #13

I guess my problem is I don’t know what low bp looks or feels like. Until 6 months ago I was told I had high blood pressure and took my meds accordingly. Now with keto things changed and rapidly I assume for the better. Also I must have that white coat syndrome as I was losing weight and seeing the doc my bp was in the 120/80 range at the office.

Last nights reading was 95/60. I just took it again, no meds today and I’m at 116/65.

Once again I don’t know how to interpret that. All I know is that it’s lower than 120/80. Should I be concerned? I don’t know. I’ll talk w my new doc soon.

(Jane ) #14

I run 96/50 unmedicated. Always have. May have gone up to 120 at my heaviest. Yes, I am lucky in that end. As long as you are not getting dizzy when you stand up you are usually OK. My husband is not as lucky. He was on 3 BP meds, now down to 1.

(Thurston ) #15

Off bp meds for a week

Bp 128/78 this morning.

(Thurston ) #16

Off 2 weeks 130/80. New doc says it’s all good until I hit 140/90, then it’s time to rethink meds.

(Dan Coate) #17

Have you checked your Blood Pressure when you are lightheaded? Many people on Keto can come off of BP and Diabetic mess. You may be experiencing low BP because you are taking meds you no longer need. Of course, don’t change anything without talk to your doctor.