Fasting by "mistake"

(Donna) #1

I consistently IF somewhere between 14 and 16 hours/day. That works well for me and has been really helping my insulin resistance. Yesterday was just a crazy day at work, and I didn’t really feel like forcing myself to eat at lunch. So I just fasted. And I still wasnt hungry when I got home from work so didnt eat dinner. I ended up eating breakfast this morning only because I was going into a long meeting and was afraid I`d get hungry and not be able to eat.

My take aways:

• I really can go for more than 24 hours without food and not die. While my head knows this, I was still scared to try it.
  • I can hear my stomach. Ive been trying to learn to pay attention to whether I really am hungry and not just bored, happy, emotional, thirsty etc. I think thats finally happening
  • I ate because I was afraid of getting hungry. This interests me. I`m not sure why that was such a concern, but it was, so I ate.

(Michelle) #2

It is surprisingly easy, isn’t it? I fasted linger than my normal 16 hours for the first time this week and was amazed at how easy it was. I had been fascinated by fasting posts for weeks and bought Dr. Fung’s fasting book and read it. Finally I tried and kept waiting to feel hunger. I finally ate at 41 hours because it was dinner time and I figured it was time to end.

It’s great once it clicks. At the end of my longest fast I cooked something; I sat down and I said to myself “I really didn’t need this”; I could probably have done another day easily; it was almost entirely psychological that I though I better have food.

(Doug) #4

Some of the best fasts (like parties) are spontaneous. :slightly_smiling_face:

On my first “long” fast, I went Wednesday into Sunday, then got worried about Monday and having to go back to work, so I caved in. Ah well, we learn and hopefully can always laugh at ourselves.

(NissaAnnakindt) #5

I started a 24-or-more hour fast today because it got to be 2pm and I wasn’t hungry and didn’t want to cook anything on this hot day. Somehow it’s easier to do a longer-than-intermittent fast when I don’t plan in advance!