Fasting before Keto - my journey

(Tom) #1

Hello all, I’ve just discovered the podcast and love it. I’m listening from the beginning and am about 20 episodes in, so apologies if you’ve discussed this in more recent podcasts.

A couple of times the Dudes have strongly recommended not fasting until you’re fat adapted.

Maybe I’m the exception that proves the rule, but I’m not yet in fat adapted mode and can intermittent fast with ease. For the last year I’ve very rarely eaten breakfast Monday to Friday so fast for at least 16 hours, and then most Tuesdays and Thursdays I’ve skipped lunch as well - a sort of modified 5:2 diet.

Over the last year I’ve lost 10kg doing this, and have just popped back under the (arbitrary but psychologically important) 29.9 BMI so I’m now just overweight not obese. The top of the normal range for me is 95kg (I’m quite tall!) which is about 20kg away, and probably 20 years ago as well. As well as dropping the remaining 20kg I’m on hypertension drugs and am keen to normalise that and kick the drugs at some point.

Experimenting with 5:2 I found that if I spread my 600 kCal over the whole day I was absolutely hopeless at it and the starvaciousness set in immediately after eating my tiny breakfast. However if I ate nothing then I wasn’t hungry at all. Provided that I had a 600ish kCal meal ready to go when I got home then I could easily survive into all day on a bit of tea and coffee and lots of water.

I then extended this to removing breakfast during the week on the non-fasting days, partly after reading Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal. At the weekends I do eat breakfast or brunch, mostly eggs, bacon, avo etc, and often after a longish slowish run or swim.

I read The Obesity Code as well and found Jimmy Moore’s Fasting Talk podcast when Jason Fung and Megan Ramos were on it. Keto seemed this weird thing that I knew not very much about, and he too talked about being fat adapted before fasting, though his fasts are super extended. I’m not sure I’m ready for that or even need that, but whatever works for people.

Then over Christmas I found the new Obesity Code podcast and liked the style so I tried the 2 Keto Dudes - and the sensible friendly and scientific approach appealed. I’m hooked! I’m reading the Art and Science of Low Carb living, and this week has been a “soft launch” into keto.

It’s nearly the end of the first week back to work after the summer holidays, and I’ve successfully cut out the obvious carbs and have upped my fat intake. I’m still over the carb limit but I’m still in trial and error mode. For instance I went out to lunch yesterday and thought Japanese might be a reasonable option… but that day they only had one sort of sashimi so I ended up having some karage chicken as well which isn’t entirely carb free. No rice though. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m loving the podcast, even if I have a few episodes to catch up to real time, and look forward to reading more on this forum!