Fasting and running

(Elijah Barrett) #1

Does anyone have any experience fasting and running? I enjoy doing OMAD and the occasional alternate day fasting, but I’m a bit worried about recovery from my training sessions.

If I did a full day fast, would it be better to run on the day I’m fasting or fast the day after my run? I know hgh increases during fasts, but I’m not sure if it is significant enough after only one day to expect a sufficient recovery.

P.S. I’m happy to have finally found this forum :slightly_smiling_face:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

Usually I’m TMAD and prefer to run in the morning fasted. I do OMAD about once a week, and again, if I can I run in the morning fasted.

I just did my first EF for 40 hours and did two runs during that time. Both with no problems. The first was 5 miles and then 6 the next morning.

Just keep your electrolytes up. That will get you faster than anything else.

Hope that helps.

(Elijah Barrett) #3

Thanks for the advice! I posted this right before bed last night and I quickly learned that I need to replenish with sea salt after the run. Almost as soon as I threw back some salt my heart seemed to work with a lot less effort. I’ll go check the recommended amounts of electrolytes over in the fasting forum now.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Keep in mind you will need even more replenishing when you run. Most recommendation are for the average Keto person who may not be as active.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

I drink a ZipFizz about an hour before I run.

(Elijah Barrett) #6

Yeah, I’ll keep it in mind. After some time I suppose you listened to your body when you needed more electrolytes? I’ve never heard of ZipFizz, so I’ll try to find it today.

(Sergio Schvezov) #7

I run jog in between 4 to 10 kilometers every day at a 5:40-6 minute per kilometer pace. I just did 6 after two days of light fasting (bone broth and coffee and cream now and then). I feel I even have less of an appetite after this, so I quite like it (like the being attacked by a bear and not having thoughts of wanting to grab a bite analogy mentioned on one of the 2KD podcasts).

(Alec) #8

Fasting and running: perfect partners. If you have any excess carbs hanging around, they are soon burnt off by running, then you are straight into Ketosis. And the longer the fast, the longer you are low in insulin, and the longer you are burning fat. Mostly bodyfat. I always feel better running during a fast. Ran today during today’s fast!

(Emily Nathali Contreras Vivas) #9

That sounds great!! I’ll totally start with it too ^^

I had the same experience as Alec.
Today, Fasted 17h, ran 21km.
4 hours later … in full super ketosis. (I ate dinner but it was next to zero carb).
My pace still isn’t where it was before keto though - but my goal is weight loss currently. Have to figure the pace thing out at some point.

(Teri) #11

I run a min of 5 miles a day, a 10k 1-2 times a week, but I always have a BPC beforehand after a 10 hour fast. I have ran fasted, but I find that my average times end up worse towards the end of my run. I use a tracker so I can see a breakdown of each mile, and when I have a pre-workout BPC only I get a steady 9 min/mi average. I always run first thing in the morning, as I run in the city and try to get out before traffic gets too bad because intersections/cross walks are a bitch. But my average goes over 10 towards the end of my 5 mile-10k when I run fasted. So I bit the bullet so to speak :wink: and have a drink beforehand. I don’t wanna tire out and miss out on that training, especially if I was gonna get the calories and fat and whatnot immediately afterwards anyway.
The jury is still out on whether or not working out while fasted increases fat burn. But I’ve done experimenting on my own workouts and I know it at least affects performance for me. So I’d try it both ways and track your runs and see what you think is best for you.

(Mark Berry) #12

I do MAF (low heart rate) running and eat low carb mostly but do go into ketosis on a regular basis. I had a foody weekend so didn’t eat Monday, just coffee with cream when I woke up. Had a great day and decided to run about 18:30 fasted. I had some dinner and went to bed. I’ve been slowly improving my pace but last nights fasted Run was amazing! I felt much quicker and my pace was 1 min/mile quicker!!! I then ate a lovely chilli con cheese.

So I will continue to experiment the but eating after seemed good for me

I’m going to have to try this “eating” thing. LOL.
I’ve been experimenting with fasted runs mostly, but worth contrasting with a fed run at some point. I’m about 3.5 months into IF and 2 into keto.

I’d also like to try a carb-fueled run - when I listen/read guys like Zack Bitter, even though they’re doing keto, they use carbs on their longer runs and definitely during their races. He’s running 100 milers, so it’s a different beast, but even for a lot of his training runs he does use carb as fuel to some degree. The rest of the time he’s low-carb (5%).