Fasting and Kids

fasting

(Paul Butler) #1

Hi All, I know kids should NOT fast!
I’ve been Keto and Fasting (46hrs weekly and 16/8 daily) for 1 year now. The wife doesn’t agree with my choices, accepts Keto (doesn’t participate) but still against fasting.
My kids see me not eat dinner 1 night a week, and my oldest (9yrs) see me watch and watches with me sometimes, the Keto and Fasting you tube videos I watch. I didn’t think much of it, as trying to encourage to eat less sugar.
Problem is he has now started talking about Keto and Fasting (all while still eating lollies etc). He stayed over his grandparents (who he love’s and are great) and told them he didn’t want to eat lunch as he was ‘fasting’. He’s never done that to me, and now they and my wife are worried that my fasting is a bad example for my kids and could cause them to lead to a eating issue as impressionable age.
I have told him, he’s not to fast until he’s an adult. But I have a feeling it’s gone in one ear and out the other.
I’ve now stopped watching the videos with him.
Any one else had this situation and can offer any suggestions.

thank you

My ideas would be to find resources on why it’s bad for kids to fast and talk about it with them, a video or article you can read or watch together and discuss why adults may want to fast but why kids should not

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

Dr Berg has an opinion;

I think not eating when not hungry is a positive. One of my sons does this, especially in the morning. Pre keto I would push some sugar laden cereal or poptart or something so he wouldn’t STARVE.
This WOE has taught me to listen to my body and teach my kids the same.

(Carl Keller) #5

Hopefully your son is old enough to have an honest talk with him about your WOE and why you fast. It’s totally natural for a son to want to be just like his dad.

I see his interest in what you are doing as an opportunity to explain to him how getting fat and staying healthy works. He’s actually quite lucky that he has a father who can teach him and warn him about processed sugar etc. There’s so much misinformation out there and the odds are against him. You can start saving him right now.

I’m not saying he needs the same WOE as you, but at least you can tell teach what happens when you eat too much garbage.

(Paul Butler) #6

Interesting, I thought all the advice was not to fast.
My son is skinny and under weight, thus wife worried about his fasting.
I’ll talk to him about skipping his snacks (morning tea at school, and after school snack) instead if he wants to fast. - leave the option to him.

(Paul Butler) #7

good point

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

When you think about it, our ancestors had to have gone through the same cycle of feasting and fasting in both childhood and adulthood. So far as I know, no archeologist has yet dug up a Paleolithic refrigerator . . . :grin:

(Running from stupidity) #9

FTFY.

Also: CONSIDER THE SOURCE

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #10

No one picks up on my sarcasm :frowning:

(Running from stupidity) #11

I do, but I worry about Americans :slight_smile:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #12

I meant to edit that, because I KNOW you do. Lol.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #13

Look at it this way, here’s just using the language he’s picked up from watching the videos. A toddler won’t tell you they are fasting, but the sometimes just won’t eat a meal or two. Are they being picky? Maybe. Are they just not hungry? Maybe.

You should talk to your son and tell him it’s OK to not eat if he isn’t hungry. Just say “I’m not hungry right now”. He doesn’t have to say he’s fasting. Why make kids eat if they aren’t hungry?

(Bob M) #14

We try to tell our kids that fewer meals and snacks are better. Try is the operative word, as the entire world (in the US) is built around snacks. These are built into the school curriculum.

(Jane) #15

See - they weren’t when I went to school. We had lunch in the cafeteria with no choices. You either ate what they served or went hungry. No other meals or snacks at school.

Drink was a carton of milk. There was a protein, a vegetable and a carb. Dessert was jello or puddding. No sodas, crackers, snacks or junk except for the small dessert.

The only organization they caved in to was the Catholic Church so we always had fish sticks on Friday (rolls eyes). They hadn’t caved in to Big Food yet.

(Robert C) #16

I think kids should probably be left alone to eat what they want from a kitchen that is processed foods free.

Adults understand their specific goals and their goals may be very different form kids.

Look at increasing HGH - an adult might want to bump their growth hormone with a fast.
They know the reason for their fast and how long it takes to get the increase they want.

A kid probably wouldn’t be talking in these terms.
As well, they’re loaded with HGH - I wonder if fasting would even increase it in a child - and if it did, would that be good?

Some people want autophagy to stunt/reverse cancer tumor growth - what does that even mean for a kid (i.e. I don’t think the studies have been done)?

Getting rid of the “you have to finish your dinner to get dessert” speeches sounds great. Letting them skip or delay a meal of not hungry is good too (although difficult to cook for - especially without processed foods you can just microwave anytime). But, I would avoid waking up any competitive aspect of fasting like having them specify a fast length or siblinings trying to see who can go longer.

Instead, encourage the general message of eat when hungry, don’t when not.

(I am talking about a somewhat regular case - the 300 pound 13 year old should consider fasting a life saving tool.)

(MelissaH) #17

We all know kids pick up and repeat what they hear. Food/diet is no exception. For example, before keto I was vegetarian for years and when my kids were full at the dinner table or didn’t want whatever meat dish I’d made they’d say they were vegetarian lol then ask me for a ham sandwich! Or say they didn’t want something because it wasn’t “healthy” or good for their teeth. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you actually their behavior changing.

(PSackmann) #18

There are two things going on here, one that your son didn’t want to eat and one that he wanted to emulate his father and get a reaction.

Our pediatrician always reminded us that, except in very rare instances, kids won’t starve if they opt not to eat a meal. If they don’t want something, don’t make a big deal about it, make sure there is wholesome food available later. That’s normal kid behavior. As for your son saying he’s “fasting”, that’s father emulation at it’s best. It doesn’t mean he wants to actually fast, just that he wants to see the reaction. If your wife and his grandparents can ignore the phrase, just as they would ignore other tedious phrases and words kids will say, he’ll move on to something else soon enough.

(Amanda) #19

Not into the curriculum per se, but definitely a scheduled part of the day.

I try to encourage to have a snack (low carb, cheese or veg if possible) if they are hungry, but it is such a part of the culture and expectations that if they are not given snack time the [spoiler]shit[/spoiler] hits the fan!

(Amanda) #20

Totally agree!