Fasting and Kids

fasting

(Jennibc) #21

Remind your son that he doesn’t get to drink beer/wine/liquor either. And as with those when he reaches adulthood he gets to make decisions regarding what he choose to put in his body, but for now he needs to trust your judgment as a parent and that because he’s still growing, he needs to to not skip meals.

(Bob M) #22

What if you personally like to drink wine or liquor? (Can’t drink beer – way too many carbs in it.)

I’ve seen both our daughters skip meals when sick. Kids can skips meals. It’s not a big deal. We’ve had thousands of years of fasting in us. If kids (or us) couldn’t miss one meal (or even many meals), we’d be dead as a species. Should they actually make a concerted effort to fast? I don’t think so, at least until they grasp what it really means to fast.

(Bob M) #23

Our kids just went through testing. They take multiple tests per year, to gauge their progress, the school’s progress, their strengths and weaknesses, etc. We get reminders before this that they should be well rested and also have “healthy” snacks available. Seriously, the tests are only 1-2 hours. There’s no need for snacks.

One of the worst things dieticians have done is make us believe we need to eat snacks. We don’t. No one does, including kids.

(Running from stupidity) #24

You were lucky to have a school! We had a patch of dirt under a shady tree!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #25

So what do we do, then, when the last of the mammoth meat is gone, and it will be a few days before the hunters can track down and kill another? Six or seven hundred thousand generations of human beings managed to survive, somehow, without being able to take the kids to a fast food joint when they got hungry. Our modern abundance is by no means the historical norm.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

I had to walk three miles to school. And it was all uphill. Both ways! :grin:

(Jennibc) #27

The guy is asking for suggestions on what to tell his young child who he doesn’t want to fast. I don’t know whether you are a parent or not, but I am, and I am saying this is the way I’d handle it. I get that throughout human history we have had to fast. But you know what, children breastfed a lot longer then and I bet breastfeeding mothers were fed first back in our hunter/gathering days. So fasting mothers could probably still produce breast milk to feed their small children more regularly. Children have different nutritional needs than us and it’s one thing to miss dinner because the kid is having a hunger strike because he doesn’t prefer the pork chops being served and it’s quite another for him or her to decide he’s going to not eat for 46 hours to be more like his daddy. The other thing this parent does NOT need is his son going to school and telling his teachers that he’s fasting and that’s why he won’t eat his lunch, because really, who wants to deal with Child Protective Services knocking at their door.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #28

Very kind of you, juice. :cowboy_hat_face: I worry about us too!

So you don’t approve of the video you posted? I thought it was good advice.

Wow, you had a patch of dirt AND a shady tree? That would have been a palace to us. We had to make do with going to school in a pile of rotten fish and paying four shillings for the privilege!

(Running from stupidity) #30

Man, I’ve listened to that so many times over my lifetime I can’t help but hear the accent as I’m reading it…

(Shanda) #31

In the snow