Fasting and Carnivore

(mole person) #21

The induction phase for Carnivore is a month or longer for many people. A week isn’t a good trial as your body might be freaked out much like at the start of keto.

I totally prefer Carnivore to Keto. Simple as can be. Who doesn’t love meat. Eggs. Bacon. Ground Chuck burgers. I’ve gone from IF, to Keto, to Carnivore still trying to find the solution to trimming down a 50 year old body that’s been abused by food in all it’s forms! :smiley:

So glad to hear that. Sounds like cutting out dairy may be the key for me.

(George) #24

Freaked out how? If it’s just an odd feeling, then I can handle it and will push through, but if I end up not losing or even gaining weight, then I’ll freak out LOL, mainly because I want to keep on track with the timeline I set for myself. I just want to see what if any changes happen when I cut out the last few carbs I currently consume

(mole person) #25

The same sorts of issues people have during keto induction. Fatigue, brain fog, ravenous hunger, diarrhea, constipation, and yes, even weight gain sometimes. It’s like keto, not like an egg fast. A week may tell you nothing about whether it’ll help you in the long term.

(George) #26

Now that I think about it, I did do 5 days that were pretty close to carni (with the exception of a TINY bit of avocado here and there, and some feta cheese) just because I wanted to empty out what I had in the fridge, so beef, bacon, sausage, and eggs covered most of my plate, plus a 48 hour fast right after and I felt pretty good

When weigh in day came, I lost very little weight, but I also had MUCH larger portions than normal every day I ate. I extended the fast by 1 more day, and lost 3 lbs overnight (weird) LOL.

What does a typical day of eating look like for you now?

(mole person) #28

I used to OMAD but since starting strict no dairy carnivore I’ve gone TMAD just to get in the required calories. Usually at my first meal I have something like fish or fried fat back. I’m using lunch as a time to get in various extra nutrients I’m worried might be lacking from straight muscle meat. At dinner I have one or more meats. Last night it was ribeye, chicken thighs, and sausage. I only ended up eating the ribeye though. the rest was leftover.

I am still having a single cup of coffee in the morning. That’s my only non carnivore element atm though. I expect to continue this for a while until I’m either convinced it is making a difference or it isn’t.

So I did strict Carni for 16 days. I added in some cheese and salad vegetables, not much really, and seem to tolerate well. I lost 4 lbs during the two weeks.

I have since resumed 24 hour fasting x3 per week. So far I have not gained or lost, though I think clothes are looser.

I do think that to resume loss I will have to do another month total carni period with some 48 hour fasts. My current feeling is that the carni WOE is very beneficial and I am convinced that dairy really does hold me back.

Moving forward to lose my last 15 lbs I will focus on carni and sticking with a stricter fasting regime of the 36-48 hour level, as 24 hour fasts, essentially OMAD, doesn’t really work on the body as well.

(Norma Laming) #30

I’m finding a lack of satiety, too. After eating meat, I need to eat heavy cream / clotted cream to feel satiated. . I’m a bit disappointed about this as I’d like to be dairy free and I really want to stick at not eating plants for a while. I have beef marrow bones in the freezer and I am going to try eating the fat in those after eating meat. I really don’t fancy eating beef fat.

(George) #31

I started my little carnivore experiment yesterday. I was worried about the satiation thing too so I made ghee and used it with my meats to up the fat macros and I think that helped with satiation.

(Norma Laming) #32

I’ve realised that the meat I ate was mixed wild game: pigeon, venison, rabbit etc. Low fat and although I added butter that didn’t work. Traditionally people add bacon but I don’t like the saltiness of that. I think I’ll freeze the rest until I have some beef fat or marrow to eat with it.

I am just in my day 17 on carnivore, no dairy but have butter. I have noticed that if I add extra fat to my meat I will definitely not be hungry very soon but if the meal is too lean (even some “leaner” ribeyes) I won’t feel satiated and want to eat more or get hungry sooner. But again, I’m only day 17. I now make sure to put a lot of fat on my plate with the meat like extra egg yolk, butter, melted tallow, some bacon or cold tallow. This works for me.

(Brian Ernst) #34

I’ve been on keto for several years, with small cheats, the last year being my most strict. I just started easing into carnivore 2 weeks ago and have been experiencing carnivore flu symptoms/carb withdrawal symptoms. That said, today was the first day I fasted for 24 hours, with a workout in the middle, and I could have kept going no problem but I had already bought a bunch of sashimi to eat.

From my brief excursion into carnivore: it’s faar easier to get into OMAD. I’ve been trying to get back into OMAD without success on Keto. But carnivore made that possible for me with ease. I’m planning on doing a 48 hour fast after tonight’s meal. Z

OMAD is probably easier for those with more fat to lose. Otherwise you need to make sure you’re eating enough protein, and moderate fat (if trying to lose fat off your body, as opposed to high fat), to get you through the next meal. Eat until you can’t take another look at your food. Don’t eat fast though, you’ll blow past your satiety point and feel gross. What kinds of meals are you doing?

If you can’t eat enough calories for OMAD, and are worried about dropping metabolism, that’s what feasting and fasting cycles are for. During the week I eat OMAD. During the weekend I ease up, either eat the whole day if I want (three meals), or just make sure to eat two loaded meals to get my metabolism up for the week. I just came off of a feasting weekend, and appetite was easy to control all day waiting for my one meal, even with a workout. Feasting fasting. Try it.

Older thread. Just my thoughts.

Carnivores should never practice a set IF or EF. That is not what this plan is about in any way. Carnivores eat as needed on a daily basis. Any ‘fasting’ happens naturally and when not hungry a carnivore eater can go very long in between meals. This is a natural period of time one is not hungry. This is not a forced intended fast of any kind.

In fact most carnivores do not like the IF and EF situations ever. We eat by a natural rhythm in life.

NOW THAT being said :slight_smile: some people will do IF and EF. It is something they want to use in their carnivore plan.

I tried it early on years ago when I first started Carnivore. I was using that eating window and it almost ruined me. I literally did not eat when hungry cause it wasn’t ‘time’ and when my eating window was open…I ate even if not hungry and I ate a lot cause I panicked knowing I was not supposed to eat for a long time after that. SO IT MESSED me up.
I found leaving this plan alone was best. Let your body tell you when it requires food and when it does not.

I wouldn’t recommend IF or EF on carnivore ever for anyone…but again, those who want it, try it, enjoy experimenting will do things like this and some do well and others do horrible.

OMAD will not slow your metabolism and all that myth stuff out there. Many carnivores fall naturally into one meal per day. Some don’t. It doesn’t matter, you go by how your body is asking you to eat. What food it wants when it wants it. I was one meal a day for a long time, then back to 2, never eat in the morning, and one day I started early eating cause hungry and then that disappeared again. I eat solely as my body asks. My eating pattern will change when it needs to change if that happens and I force nothing ever.

Carnivore will heal your body. When on a full carnivore plan as it truly is meant to be eaten, your body will tell you when to eat. It is a simple as that but a lot of people will force meal times, force old myth knowledge thinking they are helping themselves when in fact they kinda aren’t cause Carnivore is ALL ABOUT eat meat when hungry and don’t eat when not and drink your water. It is nothing more than that.

If you do more or less you are monkeying with the original intent of this plan. It is to heal first the insides of the body. Correct hormone imbalances and knock down inflammation and such. Your body will ask for more food to help repair your insides or it will not ask for alot of food while it is in repair mode working for you and healing. So your body knows exactly what it needs. There is no reason to flub around with that benefit of Carnivore. Everyone will vary greatly on this and the timeline on their eating changes while on plan will be very individualized. We each heal as we must and each will eat as they must.

Beauty of carnivore is none of the tricks/tips from the other plans need to be used. It is eat meat any time, any way you are hungry and your body wants. Drink up and stay hydrated. All benefits of being deeply keto adapted will come for each who hold strict to the plan.

So in the end everyone will do carnivore their own way but the written way is easiest and has the best results if one follows it. Other’s will get good results doing some planned forced IF and more into their plan but it is not ever truly required. In fact it can screw ya up as it did me.

just my experiences on it :slight_smile: for this older thread.

(Elizabeth ) #36

This is the best answer I have seen in two years :slight_smile:

I realize this is the orthodoxy from the carnivore and ZIOH community more particularly, but since the original question, I have figured out how to practice carnivore and alternate day fasting and it has helped me burn off stubborn fat. I think that carnivore can be effective in conjunction with fasting. Fasting is a temporary tool to get rid of body fat. It has been working for me. Fasting with high protein (or ALL protein) is essentially what Ted Naiman recommends as well.

Anyone can ‘diet’. Force the body to lose weight.

Is it healthy? Or manipulation in that once you stop what you are doing or eat a bit more and climb a carb ladder a tiny bit then it all piles back on :slight_smile:

anyone can truly diet off lbs. That is proven.

But can you heal while doing it correctly? With nature as it was intended.

those are just my thoughts on it but like I said, some easily get good results and are happy with changing up the original plan. I understand when we see good results we think it is best but sometimes it is not.

temporary tool. not what carnivore is all about actually. but yes it works doing temporary tools for many and it ruins many also.

Fasting, hey if into go for it, I prefer to eat as the universe intended LOL
I want food any time my body says give me food :slight_smile:
this is just a very personal opinion on my behalf but I am happy you are super content in your plan!! A system that works for you and is personalized isn’t bad ever. Just that it might not fit all ever.

Thanks E.

It is just that I learned the truth about the real carnivore plan.

In that we are SO programmed from other diet plans, tricks and tips and more and we get so muddled in our minds. Oh boy I was one of those………til the old time zero carb/carns said on the forum…for all you newbies…….stop the insanity! We can’t say it simple enough here, just eat the meat as needed and drink water and thrive and don’t do a darn thing :slight_smile:

The motto thrown around a lot was FAITH…and I thought WTH? but it was always said, keep the faith in the plan no matter how long it takes and when one does that, it works for you and never against you :slight_smile:

So I credit all those who walked this path long before me :slight_smile: Thankfully they posted tons on it, have carnivore strictly forums and all and one can learn.

the veterans always said check your baggage at the door! and that is so true for a newbie carnivore. DO the plan as intended. Only way you can see the truth of the whole plan and what it entails.

That is the point of losing weight. Dieting off the pounds. If just eating meat is wonderful but you are not at your ideal body composition, what’s wrong with that. There are no rules that you just have to eat meat and not worry about your body composition. Fasting also heals your metabolism and it puts your body into removing fat mode. It’s proven. I agree that carnivore is an ideal way to eat, but the insistence that fasting with it is a gimmick or delusional etc. is somewhat perplexing… I think people want others to have carnivore orthodoxy. If it works for you then it works for you. When I get to my ideal composition then I will fast for authophagy and health occasionally as well.