Fast heartbeat for over 1 week is scaring me

(Miranda ) #1

I’m ten weeks in and just had a good solid two weeks or so of darker color keto strips. Not the darkest color but one or two below. I don’t think I’m fat adapted because my body looks and feels the same and I don’t feel like a millions bucks.

I’m freaked out because my heart is beating super fast all the time…just lying down feels like I just ran up a flight of stairs. I’ve been eating 7-10 oz of salad greens, electrolyte water and even started taking magnesium supplements. I sprinkle pink salt in my water and all over everything I eat. I had this feeling when I ate a ton of fat for the first time a while ago but it went away. This is constant…even when I wake up in the morning after sleeping. Has anyone had this? I’m going to see a doctor on tuesday. Please don’t talk about electrolytes and hydration because I’m awesome in that area. Are my carbs too low possibly and it’s freaking my body out? I’m around 15-20.

(Auden) #2

How fast is your heart beat?

(Ron) #3

You make no mention of potassium and it has a lot to do with heart function.

(Miranda ) #4

Potassium is in the greens and electrolyte powder…I forget the brand name at the moment…can you rec a good brand or supplement? I also take iodine drops and cell food and eat nori everyday.

(Miranda ) #5

I don’t have a monitor. Like said just sitting or lying down it feel like I’ve been jogging. It’s uncomfortable for sure.

(Ron) #6

If you make this it will take care of needing to supplement with iodine but I also would not use in conjunction with the electrolyte powder. Many ketoers just follow this and balance very well.

(Miranda ) #7

(Ron) #8

OK. That has 250mg per serving, The recommended daily intake of potassium is approx 4500mg.
There is 550mg in 100g of spinach (one of highest plant sources of p)
500g (about 4 cups) is 2750mg

You would need 4 cups of greens and 8 servings of your supplement powder to get suggested amounts. This might give you an idea of how much you need to get your potassium in balance.:slightly_smiling_face:

Or you could 6 cups greens and 4 servings. etc.

(Auden) #9

If you find your pulse, count it for a minute and see what it is. Then you can compare it to other times of day. Be very careful with potassium supplementarion. Talk to your doctor for sure.

(Auden) #10

If anything, eat an avocado. They have more potassium than bananas

(Ron) #11

While I agree that you should be careful with potassium and asking your doctor is sound advice, the dangers have been over exaggerated some. When on the Keto WOE the salt reference in these articles does not apply.
This might explain more-

http://actualcures.com/weight-loss-diet-important-nutrients-potassium-magnesium.html

(Jay AM) #12

How much and what are you actually eating? What is your height and weight? Daily average calorie and macro intake?

(Wendy) #13

I had the same thing and it took me a bit to figure it out. For one I was not consuming enough salt or potassium, especially for the amount of water I was drinking. Also coffee can deplete potassium :grimacing:. So I added potassium supplements 3x day, salted everything and added salt tabs just before bed. I also try to get magnesium in me. I’ve since lowered my water consumption to what is more normal for “me”. I still salt everything and take potassium/mag when I remember. No more racing heart. For me it was an imbalance. My advice is to get way more potassium/mag in you and salt. I’ve also increased my net carbs to 30. 20 was too low for me. Just play with things until you get it figured out. You’ll be surprised how quickly the salt/pot/mag makes the racing heart settle.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #14

I want to strongly caution anybody on this forum, do not recommend potassium supplementation. That is something you need to speak with your doctor about. It can be over done, it can be taken the wrong way, you can end up in the hospital.

Interesting fact, if you keep your sodium on point your potassium naturally stays in balance.

(Karl) #15

I have to admit - the whole “Potassium” thing baffles me.

On the one hand, you have these “nu-salt/lo-salt” products available right there on your supermarket shelf. Here’s a product that’s designed to be a salt substitute for people with high blood pressure or whatever. It’s basically designed to stick in your salt shaker and be liberally applied to your food. It is basically 66% potassium, the way I understand it.

And on the other hand, you have that 99mg limit of “Elemental” potassium in supplements - a hard limit apparently enacted to prevent overdose…

So is there something about the resulting potassium in “lo-salt” that makes it impervious to overdose or something? With all the dire warnings about how too much potassium can kill you, I would think having a big tub of lo-salt would be incredibly dangerous in someone who really wants to salt up their french fries…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #16

Nope.
This is actually the product that people tend to overdo.
I’m actually surprised myself that they sell it without trepidation

Says who? How much are you taking? Because being keto especially at first requires a SUBSTANTIAL increase to keep you in balance. Most “electrolyte water” has near nothing in it, and “sprinkling” salt in stuff isn’t going to get you up around the typical levels we maintain which is near twice the RDA in most cases. You also speak of salt and magnessium yet no mention of potassium, which is the one that (lack of enough) in most cases causes the racing heart problem for many people. Also, how fast is your RHR? Have you checked?

(Karl) #18

See, this is what makes me feel like the whole “potassium overdose” thing might be way overblown. Why would they leave those ticking timebombs right there on supermarket shelves? :slight_smile:

It’d be interesting to read about any documented issues with products like these - because I would think if you give people products like these to abuse, they will abuse them…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #19

There are many more stories that aren’t hard to find . People can and do overdose on Nu salt and Lite salt . About recommending electrolytes

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20