Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #41

Getting in a really great and intense workout helps rebuild my appetite after fasting. After maybe a few days to a week of that, I can be ravenous! Especially if I’m being intense with legs or doing interval training or HIIT.

Thanks for making a feasting sacrifice! LOL

(Jessica) #42

This wasn’t planned, but it looks like I just ate a bag of macadamia nuts for dessert… feasting: check.

So I’m gonna start my fast now instead of tomorrow, see how fast/feast cycling works for me :grin:.

Broke my fast today after 64 hours…planned on going 3 to five days, but I began to get a little anxiety and really wanted to eat. Normally I would just power through it, but I’m trying to learn to listen to my body rather than chase a certain length of fast.

Moved into my feast…plan on carrying it through Friday, then a 36 hour fast, then a feast of three days or so.

I was down 10 pounds exactly this morning, right to 225, which is the set point I am trying to bust through. The experiment continues!

(Craig) #44

Carl, if I get what you’re meaning, you fast, then feast while staying in keto proportions, for a nett nil calorie gain.

If so, on the feast days if you’re eating double or more of your usual protein eg 200g rather than 100g, how does the dialled-up protein not knock you out of ketosis?

Are you measuring ketones at the end of your feast?

In another thread, @janknitz offers some information from Amy Berger that I find interesting concerning the rate of GNG, but I can’t confirm or deny.

Emphasis added by me.

In yet another thread, @erdoke states that gluconeogenesis and ketogenesis are occurring at the same time, and it’s their different rates as influenced by hormones (insulin - assumed to be low) and available substrates that determines which is running faster. I wonder what he thinks about the information from Amy Berger.

I don’t have any answer, I’m just trying to link things together and understand at what point protein consumption will interfere with ketosis.

I believe that excess protein can interfere with ketosis, but I’m beginning to think that it’s not GNG from the excess, but the insulinogenic effect that’s suppressing ketogenesis.

(Craig) #46

Thanks for the quotes.

Amy is saying that the spike in blood sugar after eating protein is not necessarily gluconeogenesis, whether that be supply or demand driven, because that would take too long?

Instead it is due to protein directly stimulating glycogen, hence glucose release?

I gotta keep reading.

(Adam L) #47

@Craig @BillJay I had taken the meaning of a feast day in the context of feast/fast cycling to mean that you keep eating at less than 20g carbs & close to your usual protein (maybe a little more?) then carefully measure out, weigh & add a metric fuckton of fat to your plate(s). Interested to hear from @carl on that but he did say in his original post that he ate [quote=“carl, post:5, topic:10098”]
Lots of fat. I mean lots. I was poaching burgers in butter, eating ribeyes, fried fish (with keto crumbs) and an entire jar of tartar sauce.
[/quote]

Can see how ramping everything up whilst staying at a certain ratio would raise queries/concerns for example doubling calories by doubling carb grams, protein grams as well as fat grams to stay at the same ratio. In terms of gluconeogenisis, some people are finding its not a concern (for them). I did a month of ZC/Carnivore eating in Jan 2017 & have never before or after seen blood sugar so low & ketones so high. Brenda had a great take on it during a month of eating only steak

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #48

Hello and I am glad I found this thread. I have been looking for some ideas to keep going after my 46-day fast and I think this thread gives me some really great ideas!

I will be following along.

That’s about what I’m doing - I won’t double my protein, but definitely eat more than usual and liberally add fats in whatever form is most appealing at the time.

(Kel Ta) #50

because you are fat adapted I assume you have no fear its “water weight” right? your electrolytes are probably balanced at this point?

have to say - this kind of reminds me of DH Kiefer and his carb cycling- obviously not the same- but he recommends doing heavy carb feeds at night but explains it as replenishing glycogen- but when I tried it once or twice many years back I did get super hot at night not sure if that was revving up BMR but interesting nonetheless. I am planning on trying this to elevate my BMR! Thank you!

(Kel Ta) #51

after 3-4 yrs VLC I’m interested in this experiment because periodically I eat very little to help my gut heal from prev dysbiosis but my BMR drops too much and I get very cold and spaced out. So I am trying to see if I can use this to keep my BMR higher during fasting periods…

(Kel Ta) #52

what do you think about HWC during the fasting period?

I did consciously #feastmode before starting this 72 hour fast and didn’t have the same level of satiety when starting (not really hungry though) and I’m currently having some slight issues with feeling cold, but nothing as unpleasant as previous attempts that triggered aborting a typical IF window.

This was roughly a 4.5 day feasting window, but my calories were only about 20% above normal.

For the fast immediately before this, I actually felt hot even though it was cooler outside, and now I don’t feel that although I feel like the cold is invigorating in some way, so it doesn’t look like the cold feeling will interrupt the fast yet.

One thing is for sure, I have to use the next smaller notch on my belt or my pants want to fall off. :laughing:

(eat more) #54

yay!!! :hugging: :blush:

(James storie) #55

I ended my fast cycle this morning at 2.5 days, ate much more than normal, stuffed today! I will probably feast for the next 3 days while I’m home with the family, then fast for who knows how long

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #56

I use HWC on a regular basis and have tested for any differences between fasting with and without using HWC. My tests show that my glucose is about 10 mg/dl lower when taking about 1/2 cup HWC per day while my blood ketones remain the same.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #57

Feasting and then fasting starting early this afternoon. Will keep my regular leg day workout in the morning. May pick up MCT oil powder, but I don’t think I’ll need it.

Excited to get into the feasting/fasting flow (officially and consciously)!

(Kel Ta) #58

wow- thanks and definitely not the direction I anticipated! Ok good. I am planning on using a little if I have to while fasting to see what happens- lately I drink a bit of tea in the morning with HWC and honestly the rest of the day I am not hungry…

(Kel Ta) #59

@BillJay thank you- so I mean to be feasting these days but honestly after my decaf coffee or tea with HWC this morning I have no hunger and its now 3pm… my hunger just vanished not sure what to make of it. not sure if I should keep trying to feast or just give into fasting? I feel pretty warm and comfortable and my gut likes the break but not sure.

Are you being strict about eating for a certain period and then fasting for a certain period?

(carl) #60

Cycle round 3 for me.

I’m on day 2 of feasting after 2 dsys of fasting. Lost 5 pounds fasting and it hasn’t come back. This is the best hack I’ve found so far.