Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(Siobhan) #21

My fingers and toes got uncomfortably cold and it got to the point of counting down time until I ended my fast. I took that as a sign that it was time to go back to feasting.
Ate the rest of dad’s breakfast (with his approval - he was too full to finish): italian pork sausage, homemade leftover tomato sauce, 3 eggs, and guacamole, about 2 oz of Kerrygold’s Dubliner cheese, 3 tbs of butter, and about a cup of heavy cream
Quite satisfied now, I’ll continue at dinner within 6 hours hopefully

(Adam L) #22

Following with great interest, I’ve been one meal a day for a while & looking to mix things up a bit. I’m 36 hours into my second 3 day fast with a plan to feast/fast after that - I’m jumping on the bandwagon!

This made me laugh - is that in one drink/sitting?

Like the idea of how this is putting people more in touch with their bodies, hunger signals etc. Trusting my body & moving away from all the tracking, recording, pre determining of fasting/eating times sounds great but I’m a way off from that.

When not using a set finish time to end a fast is feeling cold particularly in extremities the main physical sign that it’s time to end a fast?

(Siobhan) #23

That was in one drink yes - @brenda does something similar with passion fruit tea. The tea is more of an accompaniment to the cream than the other way around.

As for cold fingers/toes that is what @carl uses as a measuring stick and I decided to see if it would work for me too. It did and soon after that I started having difficulty of thinking of things other than food which I took as a bright neon flashing sign that it was time to stop. Usually I would think of food for a moment, think “oh that sounds good for later” and set it aside, but near the end I would just keep returning to it.

There may be other signs - worsening of mood, lack of energy, sleepiness/lethargy etc too

This was not my longest fast at about 45 hours (longest was 48) but it was definitely my most comfortable one - besides being really put off by the upset in routine (its really boring, sort of).

(Christina Hansen) #24

When your fingers/toes start getting cold, try taking some salt. It often helps!

(Siobhan) #25

I’d already been taking salt/magnesium/potassium throughout as well as lots of water. Its OK though, no rush

That’s working for me, but like @siobhan says, thoughts of food can be a sign that it’s time to end a fast, although it could just be that we’re bombarded by food everywhere.

For me, lack of thinking about food is a good initiator of the fast and I try to push through any thoughts of food during the fast if there are no other signs.

My last fast was 62 hours and it was preceded by the feasting and spontaneously started when the idea of my next meal was very unappealing.

I’m going to try to consciously replicate these circumstances by feasting earlier, so my maximum fasting window will be 72 hours.

(Siobhan) #27

Yeah for me it was a combination of things and not just thinking about food - because I’ll do that in passing - but returning to thinking about food repeatedly with no trigger (a commercial, an ad, a post, etc).

I would definitely agree it depends on the person and you should try and see what signs you get. Your body loves to talk to you on keto!!! I just had to learn how to listen :slight_smile:

I struggled with this at first, too, but I know it’s best to take doses of metformin XR as close to 12 hours apart as possible. So I started taking mine with a couple tablespoons of unmodified potato starch, which shouldn’t interfere with fasting (no insulin or glucose response due to its resistance to breakdown), and it provides sufficient buffering on an otherwise empty stomach that I can take metformin without any issues.

(Adam L) #29

Thanks BillJay for that info. I’m 62 hrs into my second fast & looking to go longer than my first fast which was 67 hrs. Once I beat that arbitrary mark I’ll pay more attention to these indicators you’ve mentioned!!!

Your results are great so far with this method. I know that there is something to this as I’ve seen it in the past. This is a great topic for your last podcast - and maybe more.

However, I am having a lot of fun eating right now and am only 8 pounds from my final target, so even though I’ve stalled for ten days, I’m not ready to mix things up to this extent. Perhaps you’ll change my mind.

I hope to hear how it goes and wish you success with it!

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #31

This is what I’m also starting thanks to Megan Ramos and was more encouraged after listening to the podcast this week and hearing @carl 's experience. I had been agonizing over all of this for the past few weeks, and in retrospect, after listening to the podcasts, I realized what I had done with having one meal a day and keeping the meal calorie restricted. At some point, my body was bound to rebel, and it did. So, now, I fix it…

(James storie) #32

I have recently become addicted to lattes made with heavy cream instead of milk, no idea how much cream they use, but it’s good!

(Siobhan) #33

I’ve never really liked milk (always seemed too thin and watery to me even whole milk) but cream is totally delicious.
And don’t worry, according to leading theories your body will find something useful to do with the extra calories :wink:

Me too, and now I’m in. I’m fasting now too for the same reasons - thanks for the nudge.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #35

Excellent!

From December-January, I did an extended fast. And afterwards, I did realize I was fatigued from committing to fasting - not weak, but just mentally fatigued from fasting and limiting myself. I hadn’t allowed myself real feasting periods. I find it ironic that I moved from being fat phobic to returning back to being calorie phobic. The weight lost from fasting was gained back and I just couldn’t put my finger on what it was. I had slipped into pre-keto habits/fears which resulted in me heading back to calorie restriction.

You’re so close to your goal weight! This is probably the key to hitting it.

I am in as well…started with a five day feast. Started my fast today. Not sure how long this phase will last.

Oddly, I haven’t been able to fast past 24 hours since coming off my 26 day water fast. Not sure whether it is my body kicking back, or more of a mental block. Either way, I have struggled staying on keto and fasting . Using this new protocol to jump back in. 22 hours down and counting…

(carl) #37

This is so great to hear. Good luck y’all!

I’m back to fasting tomorrow. Looking forward to the energy level!

(Henna Selnes) #38

I am following this. I started my fasting yesterday after dinner so I’m 15 hours in so far,(just woke up). I like this idea of mixing it up,but I am not a marathon faster. I plan to start with 24-36 hours, feast a day or two then repeat until I can fast longer. No pattern. It will be interesting to see all the results.

Watching with interest. I’ve been listening a lot to Jason Fung and he advocates eating when you’re eating (feasting) and not when you’re not (fasting). Sounds simple enough, but I noticed I was going to one meal a day and not really eating that much, which I think was stalling me a bit.

I’m a couple of days into a 4 day fast at the moment, and intend on breaking it on Friday morning and enjoying good amounts of food over the Easter long weekend. :slight_smile:

I’m making bacon for the first time at the moment too (Richard’s recipe), and that will be done on Saturday. Reckon that will be a good way of getting some feastin’ done, haha!

(Adam L) #40

Having followed the extended fast of @Charmaine-OLD & read a lot of the thread on the extended fast done by @Scatter it is really interesting to hear how you’ve both been going in the months since, thanks for the honest sharing of the challenges you’ve faced. After a 68 hour fast I’m almost 24 hrs into my first feast day & the biggest challenge is not being particularly hungry but I’m determined to give it a go (we all have to make sacrifices lol) & have a change from a few months of OMAD. It’s 5pm here so I’ll do some exercise (DDPYoga) & see if that stimulates some hunger.