Fast/Feast cycling

fasting
n1
stall

(eat more) #181

heavy cream is really good in broth and sparking flavored mineral water/club soda

i’ve read butter is good in broth

avocado should be ok?

maybe even eggs?

have you tried richard’s fasting calculator?

(Bacon for the Win) #182

@mikki what is the fasting calculator?

(eat more) #183

is the link not showing for you?

(Bacon for the Win) #184

got it, thanks :smile:

(Jessica) #185

Today I used the calculator again, but I figured, this time I shouldn’t use 1500 cals as my requirement. Now I used 2000, because I want to increase my BMR, right?
Better too much energy available with a slower fat loss (shortterm) than not enough and my BMR drops.

Have to add quite a bit of fat now, even though my scale claims, that I’m 31% bf.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #186

HWC shows 0 carbs on the nutrition facts label, but it does have lactose. It’s around 0.4g per Tbsp, so they’re allowed to say 0.

This is why, when it comes to foods with a small serving size, I’ll usually check an online resource that shows me to specify a larger portion (100g, for example).

0.4g per Tbsp isn’t a lot, but it can add up.

Edit: I should add that it’s pretty clear from your experience that the HWC didn’t hurt your fast. Mostly sharing the specifics for others who might see HWC as a “free” food while fasting. :grin:

(Jeff Davis) #187

I’m experimenting with some feast/fast cycling to break through a stall. I had been sitting between 198-203 lbs for about two months. I’m getting close to my goal weight, which is 185-190. I started at about 235 in October 2016.

I did a three day water and black coffee fast to end Holy Week, but then I cheated a bit over Easter weekend and had some Easter candy. By last weekend I was up to 204. So Monday and Tuesday I feasted. I didn’t track calories, but I’m sure it’s a lot. Double cheeseburgers, steaks, omelettes, bacon, and more bacon. Now I’m about 36 hours into a fast that I plan to keep going for about 65 hours. I’ve been having plenty of water, but I’ve been allowing myself a splash (a teaspoon or so) of heavy whipping cream in my coffee, 3 or 4 cups of coffee daily. Okay, 5 cups. No more than 6. :innocent:

This morning, I was down to 194.5 lbs. The feasting followed by fasting really seems to be working to break through the stall. I plan to break the fast with lunch on Friday and then feast through the weekend, and get back into a fasting cycle on Monday or Tuesday of next week, depending on how I feel and the signals I’m getting from my body.

@carl is right, this is a tremendously valuable hack, at least from my limited n=1 experience over the past few days.

(Kathy L) #188

My mother used to feed us melted butter for a cough when I was a small child. It’s good, now too!

Ok…ended my 72 hour fast at 219 pounds. Up to 221 after three days of feasting. Pre Fast/Feast cycling (two cycles completed) I was 234.

Great progress!

(Andrew Anderson) #191

Impressive, I may get brave and try this!

(Daniel Beattie) #192

Hey Jeff,

That’s great progress! I am just starting out at the same point, around 237 and want to get down to around 196 (even less if possible).

Could you tell me what you’ve done to get there?
Keto all the time? How much exercise?
How often were you fast/feasting? And what did your daily calorie/macro goals look like?

Thanks a lot!

(Jeff Davis) #193

Daniel, from October to Christmas I did “lazy Keto,” and dropped to about 220. Starting at the first of the year I ate strictly Keto and incorporated intermittent fasting most days (sometimes 18/6, sometimes 20/4, sometimes one meal a day). In March I started exercising more regularly with some jogging and some body weight and plyometric exercises. I also added some occasional longer (for me) fasts and am on my third three-day fast right now. Going forward, I plan to do feast/fast cycling regularly and fast from 36-72 hours each week or so.

I’ve focused on keeping carbs to a minimum, protein moderate and fat high, but I haven’t tracked calories and macros with any precision.

Sounds like you have done great! Keto on!

(Adam L) #194

Hi Jeff, nicely done! I take it that as you’ve gone from 204 to 194.5 after a few days feasting & 36 hours fasting that some of that weight loss happened during the feasting days? It seems like a mammoth amount to drop in just 36hrs of fasting. Did you happen to record weight at the time your feast ended and fast began? Or maybe recorded weight just prior to the Easter weekend cheat? Wondering if their was a decent increase in water weight associated with the cheat which may have fallen off as soon as you got back to keto (even feasting keto). Please don’t think I am criticising you, no negative connotations here. I just find this stuff very interesting & have seen in myself 4-6lbs of water weight come or go in 24-48hrs depending on carb intake.

(Jennifer) #195

I started keto on 2/3, started fasting on 2/10 after reading Dr. Fung’s Obesity Code. 3 months later, I am down 40 pounds to 218. I have fasted a total of 32 days in that time with the longest being 7 days, but usually, 4-5 is the average with 2-3 feeding days in between. I take a break during my cycle - the feasting helps get through the cravings. Any weight gained during this time is water and quickly drops the following week.

Yes, it is a mind over body thing but I am a bit of a control freak - this is very easy for me and the weight is just melting off. I’m going to go in for a DEXA scan when I get closer to onederland since I am not sure what my LBM is. (since I am pretty stocky, I’m thinking its around 140+/-)

(Jeff Davis) #196

Adam,

My goodness, no offense taken. I did start to lose some weight during the feasting days, just by eating cleaner, and I"m sure that some of it was water weight that I had retained when I indulged in some carbage. I’m going to break my fast here in a couple of hours; it will have been a 65 hour fast. This morning I was down to 192.5. I’m anxious to see what happens to the weight when I start feasting again.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #197

Started a (fat-supplemented) fast today (or last night, if you prefer), as it just felt like the right time. Was in feast mode this week, eating plenty, so I’m switching it up. Don’t have a defined end for the fast…planning this time to just try to listen to my body in terms of when it’s “time.”

I’ve been on a fat-fast since Wednesday afternoon since my calculated availability of calories from body fat is only 600 calories per day and my GKI has been <1.0 since I started, and that’s first thing in the morning - it only gets better as the day goes on, so I’m 100% convinced that this is a viable fasting strategy.

Not only is the GKI good, but I feel better, too. :joy:

Let us know how your fast goes!

Edit: this morning my BG was 63 mg/dL, BK was 4.9 mmol/L for a GKI of 0.7.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #199

Awesome! That’s a quick result!

I need to pick up a new meter. My old BG meter was discontinued, so I can’t get strips for it anymore. But in previous fasts when I was measuring, it was pretty common for my BG to get down into the low 60s / high 50s, which I’m pretty sure even without measuring would suggest a GKI < 1. Would be nice to verify occasionally, though.

(I am a Dog (Dog's eat until they burst!)) #200

I actually started right along with you and am considering 3 days. I got tired of my incessant snacking and pushing my protein too high so I am going with the fast/feast and will focus on high fat foods during feasting!

Thanks for the inspiration!