Fast Fasting Gas question

(Karen) #1

My dad is in VSED . No food for days. Reduced calories for months. Has burned through all his fat. Is burning muscle. His choice, but hard on family. He has lots of painful pressure and gas. Starvation diarrhea. I want to help relieve the gas. Need some ideas here. Nurse said Gas-x would not help. He is drinking Gatorade with meds. He is using Robitussin DM.

k

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

I am so sorry. I can’t begin to imagine how hard that must be for you, and for him.

The only thing I can think of would be colonoscopy preparation solution to hasten the flushing-out process. Since it’s isotonic, the liquid doesn’t get absorbed, it just passes through. Though it might be a cure more unpleasant than the original problem.

(icky) #3

Does he take a laxative to clear out the remaining digested food in his gut?

If not, then that remaining digested food in the gut probably isn’t helping things.

I would try a mild laxative every other day, maybe?

Sorry to hear you are going through this. Thinking of you.

(icky) #4

I use magnesium sulfate as a laxative for fasting. It has the same effect but is not as awful as the colonoscopy preparation solution.

Is that what Brenda puts in her Ketoaide? That stuff.

(icky) #5

You probably need to check how to combine the laxative and his meds. You don’t want the laxative flushing out all his meds, so he’d need to take them several hours apart.

(Karen) #6

No food for 6 days no undigested food really… We started some simethicone.