Fallen so hard not able to get back

(Pri) #1

I have fallen so bad been more than 3 months now not able to get back my tomorrow is not coming at all have gained 10 kg/22 pounds please some advice words of wisdom pleaseee plz help me get back into this horse again.

For me the only thing that got me back on when I fell off was to load myself up with the best darn foods I loved when on plan. And I ate the heck out of them at every single time I felt any hunger. I made sure I was so full. So happy eating on plan with the best meats. The best seafood. Every single thing I loved on plan was the only thing I bought at the grocery store. I allowed myself to eat eat eat and eat :slight_smile: It was the only way I found I could drag myself back on plan when I first started low carb many many years ago and couldn’t hold it. When in transition it takes true time for our mindset to change. To grab onto a plan like low carb or keto or carnivore or whatever and hold it long term.

I think many have the backtrack time. I sure did. Many times I couldn’t get back on lc and again, the only thing that worked for me was eating all I wanted, any time I wanted, and making that one commitment to myself…eat on plan but I would not limit one bit of anything I was eating. I had to just eat. Eat as much as I wanted, anytime. Of all my on plan foods I loved.

I hope some of that helps you :slight_smile: I didn’t have medical troubles to correct. I just had some weight I wanted to lose and I just wanted a healthier eating way of life. It kinda wasn’t that hard hold to me on making a lifestyle change for the good. Old foods called my name!

So I did the above and got back on plan. Had to do that a few times thru my journey. But once I got time under my belt, learned more about lc and all, felt so much better, lbs. were dropping and more…I finally realized deep down this is the change I truly wanted and fought harder to stay in this lifestyle.

Best of luck to you!!! It is a hard journey, but if you truly want it…then buy the best darn foods you love on your plan and eat the heck out of them :slight_smile: It did work for me to get me back on plan, I hope it helps you some!!

(Philip Bradshaw) #3

History is history: can’t do anything about that. Gone, forget it.

It’s coming up year end and an opportunity to set out your stall. I had to “resolve” the Carb trigger points which kept knocking me down. You know, come home from a disastrous Bridge evening, have a vodka+ and eat the kitchen. I found I had a few of these triggers.

Then I assessed how often I was going to eat each day. Then I made a list of the food I liked. Then I added “stuff” to give some taste like Sauerkraut, tinned tomatoes etc.

This took me 6 months but I was getting better at it on the way!

Small steps get you there; in my case, big steps inevitably failed.

I wish you all the best.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

I think you have to identify your pitfalls. Where are you having trouble? Are you keeping binge worthy food in the house? Are you tired eating, emotional eating?

Make a plan, get the food you need, stick to the plan. You can do it!

(Pri) #5

Well I am in India since last 2 months and 2 months before that I started working after 2 years of break for kids. Well I have lost more than 75 pounds without any effort just eating on plan and no exercise( I guess my two kids were my exercise I have 1 and 2 year olds the cutest things in the world)so I don’t get food I used to here in India. My moms house is no non veg food zone. She won’t even let anything enter in the kitchen other thank eggs that also too much convincing. So I have eggs and cheese for protein here. But problem is I visited India after 4 years and my mother cooking o my god every day I tell myself ok eat today not from too this is what I am doing since last two months. And I binge every day thinking will start tomorrow. I am stuck

(Susan) #6

I know that you were living in hell with a terribly abusive husband, Pri, and I am so glad for you that you escaped that horrid situation. You survived and rose above that, and you can get back on Keto too =).

I know you can do this, I am sure you are still dealing with a lot of the emotional and psychological torments that you were subjected too. But, you managed to lose the 75 pounds while living with that monster, so you can do it again, living in the loving home of your mom. You can figure out different ways to make the eggs so it is not so boring, and cheese recipes. I realize that it must be frustrating and difficult to manage that but just try to eat as low carb as you can, and not eat sugars. I wish you the best, you are a strong woman, you can do this =).

I am new to this and could only dream of losing so much weight! Congratulations! But I think what I would do to get back into keto would be to buy a cookbook- including keto desserts - and start cooking keto. Like not thinking about losing the weight, but thinking more along the lines of: I need 65% fat in my diet and maybe between 20-30 g carbs, For me, the metabolic syndrome did me in.I was locked in that insulin vicious cycle. Maybe if one can just begin again without counting the macros too seriously but getting them down enough to not cause the secretion of insulin, it might be easier? Because that insulin is what made me so voracious that control was hard.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

You’re in a tough spot, Pri. Things are out of your control and you have limited access to the kitchen. Can you pick through what your mom is offering and make the best choices from that when you can’t get eggs/cheese? Don’t give in because you’ve gained. You’ve gone through many changes and a huge life upheaval. Maybe it would help to have eating times planned so you don’t graze. Until you can get back to your personal plan, consider portion control (I know, I hate it). What are you eating at work? Could you manipulate what you’re having during the day in order to have her cooking when you get home?

(Pri) #9

Thanks Marie, I could work only for 2 months called my mother to take care of kids while I was working did not get any support from anywhere else with kids and my mother don’t drive so I had to quit and came to India with her so I am not working right now. Yes I really have to see how much I am eating amount of sugary foods I am eating it’s scary from 0 sugar to full sugar diet. I am trying today was better. Little less sugar.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #10

I often remind myself that being angry with me or saying mean things to myself does not motivate me like acceptance and patience does. Be kind to yourself while you work to reach your goals. You’ve already done a really brave thing recently, you can absolutely tackle this!

Sugar and carbs are an addiction. My experience with addictions… sugar & carb addiction and nicotine addiction… has been to accept the inevitable setback as part of the “recovery” process. Anytime I fall off the wagon, I don’t beat myself up over it. Instead, like you… I focus on my desire to get back up. When the desire alone isn’t enough… and believe me that’s often been the case… I steep myself in helpful information. I’ll read Keto and dietary books, come on here and read the forum for inspiration, I’ll Google the “harmful effects of high carb diets” a gazillion times just to draw repeated inspiration. The list goes on.

Essentially, what’s worked for me, is to take my addictive impulses and to focus them on gathering more and more information of the benefits of changing my unhealthy way of eating. Like I said, it’s a process… a process that has not only helped me kick old habits, but has also lead me to re-evaluate my relationship to food. And I think that’s really key. Understanding our relationship to food helps us gain the needed understanding of what is hunger and what is desire, the difference between what my body needs and what my mind and emotions want. Once that has been identified, I have been able to more easily recognize my triggers and the unhealthy eating I often have engaged in. It’s a battle of will really… am I in charge of my mind, body and soul, or will I relinquish that control to my impulses.

I hope this makes sense to you and somehow helps. I believe we all share the will to be in control over ourselves. I also believe the temptations to throw up our hands are strong and abundant, but that through continued focus and engagement on our own behavior, we can fundamentally change the dynamic and ultimately be in far greater control over our own destiny through much greater awareness, thanks to our better understanding of our relationship with food.

(Marianne) #12

I agree; I think that is why I didn’t have trouble ten months ago going from a SAD way of eating (anything, everything and as much as I wanted), to going full clean keto. You need to eat and feed your body, for many reasons. I think deprivation and hunger lead to cravings and eating off track.

Plan three hearty meals a day, each that will be sufficient to carry you comfortably to the next. Plate your full meals, don’t pull things out of the fridge and eat them standing up to constitute a “meal.” Make sure you are meeting or exceeding your fat and protein macros. After a time (2-3 weeks), you may naturally not want to eat as much or as often. The thing is, listen to what your body wants and don’t force it. Keep the carbs under 20g/day, and lower if you can.

(Marianne) #13

This makes total sense and is a great suggestion. Beating ourselves up accomplishes nothing and is only self abuse. After so many years of guilt and shame, I don’t want to treat myself like that any more. I am my own steward and am going to take care of myself, physically and emotionally.

(Brian) #14

Just do today. Don’t look back, just look at today.

If someone cuts you off in traffic, you can dwell on it, retaliate, go enact your road rage, and potentially do a lot of damage. Why? If you just let it go and continue to drive safely, you’re in a much better place, way less emotional, way less stressful.

Nothing you can do will change the past. Just go forward.

Hey, if it makes any difference, I ate a lot more carbs than usual yesterday (Christmas day). I ate too much food, period, but was actually uncomfortable more at the quantity of the food than that it had some high carb stuff in there. I ate a piece of pumpkin pie with whipped topping, the real thing, loaded with sugar. It was once and done. I won’t be eating like that again any time soon. I’m not gonna beat myself up for it. I’m not gonna feel bad any more than the few hours after that I felt kinda bloated and had a bit of a headache. That’s done. And some of it tasted good. I can’t say that any of it was that much better than any of the keto stuff I do normally. We were just with extended family and that’s what they were eating.

If you can handle a high carb day, don’t sweat it. Some people even think it’s good to “carb up” from time to time. I can see how it might keep your body able to handle sugar when it does come, maybe more so than if you never had any sugar and then got some. (That’s my own thoughts, not anything scientific or anything.)

But… I will go forward from today and pretty much forget yesterday. Today will be keto for sure, that’s just normal. This morning was sort of a “fast” as it was just coffee, not because I’m punishing myself, not because I’m purposely fasting, just because that’s what I felt like having, coffee, and nothing more. I wasn’t hungry. I’m good with that. And it’s keto. :slight_smile:

Do today. Maybe make something keto that you really like and enjoy it, no guilt, no punishment, no negative anything, just make something good and enjoy it. And the next day, do it again! :slight_smile:

Maybe if there is something you’re thinking you want (that’s really not good for you or your keto / healthy way of eating), you could “delay it”. Maybe tell yourself you can have it sometime in the future, just not today. That’s one of Paul L’s tricks, and it’s helpful for some.

Anyway, just sending some good thoughts with only good intentions. Don’t know if any of it could be helpful or not, or whether it’s even all technically correct. But just sharing. :slight_smile: All the best as you move forward!

(Susan) #15

Is there a way you can talk to your mom about wanting to lose a bit more and stay on your plan without offending her? I know that she loves you dearly and that you would not want to insult/offend her and I am sure that she is taking good care of you and your kids and making all the food with love, etc. so you need to be cautious how to discuss it with her without hurting her feelings, but maybe you can explain that you need to keep your carbs low and not have sugar, at least, even if you cannot keep to pure Keto for the moment =-). Best wishes =).

(Pri) #16

Hi Susan, first thanks a lot for writing back to me every time I post something. My mother never force me to eat things she even tells me to take care of my health and don’t gain wait. But our staple food in her house is home made rotis(bread) with some curry in every meal. I think of eating only curry and no bread but I always give in she cooks so much good food. Everyday she cooks something new and I am like ok from tomorrow I will start my diet. Also there was wedding we have so much sweets around. I am struggling alot. I never cheated this long since I started diet maximum 2-3 days this time months passing by. I ate better today than other days just less portions.

(Susan) #17

Okay, great =). I am very proud of you that you had the courage to leave him, and are doing the best for yourself and your kids, you are a strong woman and I am sure that you can do this =). Hugs =).