Ezekiel bread?

(Jeff Waters) #1

My wife bought some Ezekiel bread because it is touted as healthy. She’s not keto, though.

It has a lot of carbs, but is “sprouted grain”

Is it a keto no go?

(Tom Seest) #2

No go unfortunately.

The sprouted grain is the best type of grain for a bread eater to eat, but it won’t be good for anyone eating Keto.

That’s a good question. One slice is 15 grams total carbs, with 3 grams fibre…so, only 12 grams net carbs. I’d like to understand why it is considered a no-go for keto, if someone is capable of incorporating it in a 20 gram net carb limit per day regimen.

(Guardian of the bacon) #4

Is it because grains ,wheat in particular are pretty much all considered non keto?

Hmmmm…are you sure that is a keto rule?

If one can keep net carbs, or even total carbs, below 20 g, then why wouldn’t grain be acceptable?

I don’t recall grains being mentioned in @richard 's haiku :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Guardian of the bacon) #6

I was asking a question, not providing an answer.

Oops my bad :laughing:

Didn’t see that pesky little question mark at the end.

That’s a good question…in fact, it makes me think of some of the “low carb” tortillas in the “what did you eat today” type threads. They are made with grains. Obviously not as much as the common type of tortilla…but still there to some degree.

(Tom Seest) #8

The original poster “ate like an idiot in November and December” and is back on track now. That’s his words, not mine. I think it is risky behavior to recommend one slice a day but that’s just me.

The sprouted grains in Ezekiel Bread make it more digestible. This may or may not be a good thing. With a blood glucose meter, you could test your own response too it.

A Snickers Bar has 20g of sugar in it and only 28g of carbs. Why not just eat half a bar a day?

The original poster is an adult and can make his own decisions of course.

But, I wouldn’t recommend the Snickers Bsr or the Ezekial Bread to anyone and I’ve had plenty of both in my lifetime.

I have never eaten them but I would suggest that they have a much much lower carb count. I don’t think there is a hard and fast ‘rule book’ but every site I have seen and advice given on podcast (inc 2KD) is to avoid starches and grains. Maybe you could find a way of eating a slice of bread a day to fit your macros but I really don’t think this fits the ethos of keto. And why just has one slice? Half the problem is the addictive nature of these foods, never mind the way they make a lot of us feel.

I totally respect both @Daisy and @tdseest point of view. Clearly valid arguments.

Assess your level of food addiction, cravings, temptations, proclivities, whatever…and stay away from foods you deem “gateway drugs”…

(Jeff Waters) #11

Yes, I’m staying away from this possible gateway drug. Was just curious if there was something keto magical about sprouted grains. Sounds like not.

Wheat is inflammatory and is reason to avoid it for some. I’m excluding it because of that and because carb creep is so much harder to avoid with wheat products. I don’t want to have to be an analyst just to eat.

(Jo Lo) #13

I’m not convinced that your pancreas thinks in terms of “net carbs”. I would make decisions based on total carbs that go down the hatch. You may not absorb them all because of the effect of the associated fiber, but the insulin response may happen regardless.

Yes! Insulin response is key. It’s like waking up the sleeping monster. The goal is to eat what doesn’t cause the hibernating monster to wake up.

(Jo Lo) #15

Exactly!

My doctor (TN) once said that there are only three times to eat carbs:

“before, during, or after EXERCISE”.

I have lost 100 pounds with Keto, and I eat one slice of Ezekiel bread EVERY day. It has not knocked me out of ketosis nor has it engendered cravings for more carbs. I simply count the 15 grams of carb towards my daily allotment, and I eat no other carbs except my greens and those trace amounts of carbs in the cheeses, etc.

I refuse to give food too much power over me. That’s what led to my obesity in the first place. That slice of bread wih my egg or almond butter in the morning is something I thoroghly enjoy, so it keeps my lifestyle sustainable and pleasant.

And with all due respect to other keto followers, I do not allow any self-anointed keto gurus to interpret any keto rules for me (which, by the way, are non-existent. My success speaks for itself-----100 pounds lost at age 66 with hypothyroidism. My sugar is now normal as are my blood pressure, cholesterol, and inflammation levels.

I do NO formal exercise nor do I weigh and measure or write down everything I eat. I enjoy walking and keeping busy-PERIOD.

We all know-or at least should know-- what works best for our own well-being and lifestyle patterns. Don’t allow anyone else including any doctor or heath care professional to dictate what’s best for your body!

Doctors get little or no training in nutrition at medical school, and most dietitians still buy into the low-fat, high carb, calories in, calories out BS that has been keeping us fat and sick for decades.

BE YOUR OWN BEST ADVOCATE!!!

(VLC.MD) #17

Congratulations !

15g for some Ezekiel wouldn’t be worth it for me … sounds like it was for you.

What worked for you seems slightly against the odds … but it’s fantastic it worked for you.

(Cathrine Helle) #18

I tried Ezekiel bread a few years ago, but it’s a no go for me. All grains triggers my IBS, even sprouted, or sourdough versions. The more whole grain the product is, the worse the pain afterwards. And fine grained products are almost all starch and very carb heavy, and that triggers inflammation (at least in my case) - no wonder I’m doing best on keto :stuck_out_tongue: That being said, I don’t react as strongly to all high carb foods. Potatoes and rice are fine, but seeing as I put on weight just smelling those, I choose not to have any :wink:

(Brian) #19

My own homemade wheat bread I figured to be around 23g of carbs per slice. Ouch. I never figured out the sugars though they wouldn’t be awful.

Maybe someday I can have the occasional piece of it again. But for now, I’m gonna refrain. It’s hard not to eat about half of a loaf when it comes out of the oven… (been there, done that, on multiple occasions…)

Thank goodness for tortillas made entirely out of cheese and fathead pizza crust (which also makes good cheesy bread).