Eye floaters anyone?

(Dain) #1

Has anyone found relief from eye floaters following a keto/no carb diet? Thanks.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Pretty much so, yes. Except that I had laser treatment several months ago to remove a growth on my lens (a post-cataract-surgery complication) that created a couple of new floaters that I still see.

(Dain) #4

I am assuming the diet helped improve them but then you had surgery and they got bad again?

(Donna ) #5

I have terrible floaters and they’ve clumped together. It is my hope that fasting can reduce them.

(Dain) #6

How long you been keto?

(Donna ) #7

Low carb 4 1/2 years (but stopped losing 4 years ago), keto 2 months.

(Dain) #8

When did you start getting eye floaters?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Well, the floaters I had before the laser treatment are mostly invisible now; they were unaffected by the laser treatment. But the treatment created a couple of new ones that I recognize from their distinctive shapes. I still see them from time to time. There are two processes at work: first, over time the brain learns to recognize each new floater and eventually can edit it out of the image unless you go looking for it; and second, the keto way of eating seems to help the humor heal and thus improves the floaters themselves. These days, if I want to torture myself by looking for floaters, I have to work hard to find any to worry about, lol!

(Dain) #10

Wow. I am 30 and have a shit tonn. I wish I had to look for them.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Look at it this way, Dain: If you keep calm and keto on, a few months down the road you may suddenly realize that you’re not seeing any floaters anymore. And even if that doesn’t happen, you’ll feel so much better from being keto that you’ll be happy anyway. :bacon:

P.S.–Why am I suddenly seeing floaters again. You so-and-so! You just had to bring up the subject, didn’t you? :grin:

(Dain) #12

I have followed keto in the past and relapsed. I have been low carb for years on end though. I have been keto/no carb for two weeks now and have lost 12lbs. I immediately notice most things improve eating this way. Skin is clear, sleep like a dead person, endless energy, no anxiety and my gums feel great. I would give almost anything to get rid of these translucent worms in my eyes.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Sorry to make light of your predicament. Seriously, I do think that the healing promoted by ketosis will also extend to your aqueous and vitreous humors. Just give it more time. And seriously: try not to think too much about those floaters. The point of my joke post was that indeed, I am thinking about them, so I am seeing them again. (But they are greatly improved, and I give keto the credit.) So anyway, if you can somehow set aside your anxiety and frustration about seeing them, you will be less likely to notice them. That alone will be a big help. I know, it’s easier said than done, but as we say, just Keep Calm and KETO ON.

(Dain) #14

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

(Liz ) #15

I am bisieged by floaters. I’ve been strict keto since March & so far I cannot see a difference :confused: it would be amazing if keto & fasting helped because yeah, they are terrible.

(Dain) #16

How many carbs do you consume in a day and do you consume many vegetables?

(Liz ) #17

I mostly stick to 20 total carbs but sometimes will do 20 net. Yes, veg with every dinner. I eat mostly broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, and cabbage for veg.

Years back I used to have frequently two floaters at a time in my eyes whenever I paid attention - and for some reason they went away. I don’t exactly know how/why - except that it happened after supplementing with angstrom magnesium and returning to eating grassfed/organic meats after being “protein balanced” vegetarian for 25 years.

In case helpful to anyone - I love the WDDTY website (used to describe to their newsletter back in the 90s too) and just checked over there on this topic. This article is chock full of help. Floaters can mean many things: http://www.healthy.net/Health/Article/Floaters_in_the_eye/4397

I am 62 years old. I used to have eye floaters. Since going low carb a few years ago they are gone. I did not realize this until I heard someone mention it in a podcast last week. I also no longer have restless leg syndrome and I no longer feel the need to put my legs on a pillow when sitting in a reclining chair. My A1C was 5.7 when I started 3 years ago and now I am at 5.2. My goal is 5.0 or lower.

(Ethan) #20

I have tons of them from before keto… filled my field of vision. Two rounds of them…first at age 21 and then 31.

(Liz) #21

Wow…I had not realised that my floaters are indeed better in the last few weeks, guess they may still pop up…ususally happen in really bright sunlight if they are going to…but yes, keto and if do seem to be making a difference…a bonus that I was not expecting and hadn’t realised until seeing this post!

Thanks and I hope you all see improvements too :crossed_fingers::grinning: