Extended fasting made me gain weight? Why?

(Joey) #21

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but given how hard it has been for your to lose weight after all this fasting - and the fact that you are “shivering all the time now” - points to undernourishment. I’ll say it again … it sounds like you are starving your body and not doing it any favors.

I appreciate that you do not want to wind up like your parents, given their history with T2D. But you don’t want to swing the pendulum to the opposite extreme, which can be extremely unhealthy in its own way.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

To follow up what @SomeGuy said. I don’t usually get the hunger signal, instead I get either cold or weak. That tells me fuel is closing in on empty. One’s metabolism can only burn a small portion of body fat daily no matter how strictly or how long you do not eat. Being cold is likely the signal you’ve reached the bottom of the tank. You could tough it out and hope for the best. You could spend a lot of time in a tub of warm water or wrapped in an electric blanket. But your body is telling you enough’s enough. We can’t always get what we want but we sometimes get what we need. It takes a bit of humility to accept that what we want is not always what we need and get out of the way sometimes if we have to.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #23

You could also consider “fat fasts” and supplement with healthy fats while fasting, and see how that works for you.

(Kiki) #24

You keep fighting! Sending prayers your way. Everything I read points towards Keto as a way to fight it, my original reason for taking interest. I don’t know why more doctors don’t preach it. Wish you a successful journey and thank you for renewed perspective and inspiration!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #25

Both my primary care doctor and my oncologist are supportive of me eating keto. My primary care doctor doesn’t see any harm and my oncologist is pleased with my PET scan results. There are still tumors present, but much reduced from the first scan.

Ur body is way too complex to give a scale proper relevance, its a very rough number, if u like keeping track u could take body measurements instead.

(Doug) #27

I’ve said this before, but I just cannot believe the above picture. I was 74 inches/1.88 meters tall and 183 lbs./83 kg when I was 18. There is no way that woman in the right picture weighs almost as much as I did.

Were u as ripped as her with excess skin and fat on top? Her lats and thighs look bigger than most mens in their 18s.

(Doug) #29

Yes, I was a middle distance runner and a wide receiver in football. 27" thighs and way more defined than hers. Unless she’s over 6 feet tall there just ain’t no way… I started being a bricklayer the next year, and could pick up ten 40 lb. planks and walk around with them, or six 70 lb. bags of mortar.

Thats what i was banking on as well, her being tall. Loads of chicks are 6feet or more where i live (viking blood :D) and having that weight looks somewhat reachable to me atleast, but then again its a picture from instagram and no idea of her height.

(Doug) #31

Maybe… I’m betting her waist is about what one of my thighs was, in size. If she’s really tall, though, then I’d say the “Before” picture should be ~230 lbs or more, however.

Human muscle is denser than fat, but only to the extent of +22% or so.

From what you said, IMO you’ve most likely slowed your metabolism. Not sure what you’re eating over the course of the day but at OMAD 5 days/wk for a few months, many people don’t eat enough at their one meal, not sure if you did, followed by extended fasting for 6mo… how could you not slow it down?

Fasting is about as calorie restricted as you can be by definition.

I got into fasting myself, did 18:6, OMAD, multi-days all of it. So did my wife. We didn’t have issues loosing before we did that. My metabolism slowed down huge (confirmed with metabolic testing). I’ve been reverse dieting for a couple months now getting my metabolism back up where it needs to be and so far that’s working. My wife didn’t get hers checked by doing the same thing I’m doing she’s loosing again too.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #33

The metabolic slowdown from restricted caloric intake is well-known. I can’t believe that anyone who’s been on these forums for any length of time is unaware of the risks of eating at a caloric deficit. At some point we just have to accept that an adult has the right to ignore the science behind the ketogenic way of eating and do what she thinks best.

(Kiki) #34

I was new to the forum. I did read a ton of material and listened to every podcast on fasting that I could. Read and heard everything Jason Fung had to say, but I guess I am still an idiot. If there is another way to lose a few lbs, would love to know how.

(Doug) #35

You’re not an idiot, Kiki, it’s just really tough to lose pounds as we get really lean - and you just don’t have that much fat on you. When we start out with a LOT of fat and insulin resistance, for example, and we lower insulin by eating very low carb, it’s not uncommon to lose 10 or more lbs. of weight per month for multiple months. It’s a much different deal when we get close to our target weights.

(Kiki) #36

Thanks.

Well, I originally went on keto bc I got breast cancer and kept developing tumors and Pre-cancerous polyps. I also had hypothyroidism and all kinds of digestive issues before Keto. Keto actually made me gain a little weight, but it helped with all my health issues. Keto and Fasting leaves me feeling a lot better and can help prevent cancer, so that goal trumps weight goals. But yes, you are right. My body just doesn’t want to drop weight. I don’t want to slow my metabolism, but I do want to enjoy benefits of Keto and autophagy.

(Joey) #37

@KikiC You’ve been through a lot and you’ve been diligent and brave in fending off the health challenges you’ve faced. Kudos.

No one wants to slow their metabolism down. Unfortunately, that’s not an uncommon consequence over significant rounds of fasting. Your fasting - to fight off cancer - was a wise choice given the alternatives.

But now it’s time to deal with some of that aftermath. If indeed your metabolism has slowed, which sure sounds like that’s the case, then here’s what’s next…

• You will need to make sure you properly nourish yourself, which includes an appropriate amount of protein for your lean body weight WITH AN EYE toward the potential implications of the cancer risks you face. I would encourage you to consult with some real experts in this arena. Dr. Seyfried up in Boston comes to mind.

• To the extent you rebuild muscle/organ mass through inclusion of prudent protein levels, you are very likely to also regain some body fat. Studies shows that these go hand-in-hand after extensive fasting. You are going to have to recognize that this is almost certainly unavoidable.

And so, I would suggest you get clarity about your priorities. I know that a lean physique is one of them. But, at least for the next several years to come, you may have to decide whether that’s your highest objective.

Clearly, you are well-versed in how many of these trade-offs pull and tug at each other. It sounds like the fasting - done for a good cause - stretched things a bit further than would have been ideal in a different context. But your context was unique at the time. Don’t feel badly… just continue to do the research, get the best medical (keto-informed) guidance available, and plan your next steps accordingly.

Best wishes and please keep us posted about your progress!

(Kiki) #38

Thank you again for the feedback and advice. Since my last post, I returned to just regular Keto eating and have put on even more weight than where I started. I do OMAD for about 5 days each week and 2 mad on weekends, simply bc I am usually not hungry until dinner. I have been avoiding the scale, since reading the responses, but I am guessing I may have gained another 5plus lbs, based on clothes being tight. Trying not to get disheartened. Left the 5 day fast up 4 lbs and and now up more, gaining quickly on normal calorie intake and super low carb. My ketone levels are always large or extra large, but it makes no difference. I was trying not to fast bc my metabolism has obviously slowed, but don’t know how to get it back. Now adding weightlifting to my regimen. And following all of De Lauer’s advice about boosting metabolism through weightlifting, cider vinegar, green tea, seaweed, taking a break from fasting, etc.
when you are small like me, 10lbs feels like a lot. Now, all my normal clothes are super tight. I feel sluggish and gross. Do I need to let myself gain a bunch of weight before fasting again? As you can see from past posts, keto never helPed
Me
Lose weight, but fasting worked for a while and I felt great. Now, nothing is working. All blood works looks good and normal. Any advice?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #39

Hey, I’m sorry you are dealing with this. Have you had your thyroid checked?

(Kiki) #40

Yes. I used to have hypothyroidism years ago when I was in my late 30s. I was tested for it again several times over the last few years and it is completely gone. I have not taken my synthroid in years. Apparently, it doesn’t usually go away. But I have dramatically changed my diet. Completely keto for 3 years now, no alcohol or sugar or grain for about 4 years.