Exploring Carb Threshold

(Monica Piccirillo) #1

Interesting anomaly—which has inspired me to test my carb tolerance. I’ve been Keto since November— in an effort to reduce my BF. I’m happy with my weight 142, 5’10”, 62 —BUT BF is 34%. Since November I’ve bounced up and down the same 3 pounds. I read and used the various ways to get my body to “lose inches”. I kept carbs under 20, Zero, upped to 30-40. I didn’t need the weight to drop but would have been okay with it. I kept my calories between 1500-2000. Protein moderate, low and high. NOTHING!
Sunday night I decided to just stop trying. I knew I’d be out of ketosis and experience water weight gain. I prepared myself mentally. I enjoyed a 72% dark chocolate bar.
Monday morning I was up 1/2 pound. I then consumed nearly 150 carbs—bread and veggies of all sorts. I didn’t bother with checking my breath ketones—what was the point?
Tuesday morning, Up 2 pounds. I read about some people being able to maintain “low carb” between 100-150. I thought that was interesting but unrealistic—since my usual breath readings were .2 and .3 no matter what. I decided to keep tracking my food and see where this went.
I checked my breath in the afternoon and it was .4! I tested 3 times. I had consumed 127 total carbs/ 87 net.
This morning I tested upon waking and .2! I also dropped the water weight gain-back to 142 and dropped BF%. I use the scale information for a weekly average. This afternoon it was .3
I’m going to keep this experiment going and logging my adventure—maybe I am a Unicorn? Wouldn’t that be a shock! It goes against my Keto brain.

Where do you get the BF reading of 34%? Body scales that measure BF don’t report accurate results when a person is on keto (something about electrolytes acting different)

(Monica Piccirillo) #3

I do use my scale reading for that BF %. It’s been awhile since I’ve done an InBody scan. DEXA scan is not available in my area. So, yes, I have to expect variables. Just looking for a trend. Thank you for your input and reminder.

(Rob) #4

Without likely impossible consistency you probably won’t get it. The variations in readings due to BI issues should swamp any “real” changes in BF which only happens slowly. You would have to do this for months and try to be unnaturally consistent with timing, hydration, etc. to have even a hope of meaningful results. I don’t have that patience :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Monica Piccirillo) #5

Yesterday, Wednesday, carb count 87net.
Today, Thursday, morning breath .2. This afternoon it was .2. I’m going to try and remember to get a bedtime reading. Planned carb intake is 87 net.
It was interesting to read that Dr. Phinney & Volk would consider 100-125 carb being “low carb”…I just read it here somewhere and can’t remember who posted.

Good luck with your experiment.

I had my first cheat day a few days back and it didn’t knock me out of ketosis and I didn’t really gain any weight, which was surprising. But, that doesn’t mean I’m gonna up my carbs now. I lost 100 pounds in 6 months so I’ll just assume that my carb restrictions are working.

(Rob) #7

Yeah… for the metabolically healthy that seems to be true. Good to test your threshold now but it will continue to evolve over time as your body adapts to lower and lower insulin levels (unless you have already bottomed out).

and for endurance athletes, which is 99% of their focus

(Monica Piccirillo) #9

Friday update- morning reading .03
Yesterday carb total 105. Blood sugar this morning was 91.

(Ken) #10

IMO, Going for a set level of daily carbs can eventually cause problems on a long term basis. You might experiment a bit, so rather than eating 100g every day, try eating say 200g or so one day, less than 20 the next two days to allow glycogen levels to drop. Track yourself over four days to see what happens. You might be surprised.

(Monica Piccirillo) #11

Fantastic idea! I will definitely give that a try. I had been pondering that but didn’t want to do high fat/high carb and really mess myself up… I really appreciate you sharing your ideas with me! You’ve, obviously, have knowledge with your 240 loss—congratulations!
Don’t hesitate to suggest things to me! Knowledge is power!

(Ken) #12

You’re welcome. One thing, I’d reduce fat when eating carbs, you want to avoid amplifying the post parandial insulin spike.

(Monica Piccirillo) #13

Saturday morning— breath reading—.2 and weight was 1/2 pound down—BG reading 92. Evening reading —.2.

Tomorrow, being Mothers Day, not planning on a huge carb day —just enjoying my Mom, my kids and my grandkids.

Monday I’m implementing Ken’s suggestion.
Keto— Monday thru Friday and then higher carbs (low fat) on Saturday and Sunday.

(Monica Piccirillo) #14

Yesterday, Sunday, was sugar Armageddon.
This morning my breath reading was still .2 but the scale was up 2 lbs—water weight was probably a great contributor since the sugar made me thirsty.
Today I start my weekdays of low carb eating-under 20 net.

(Monica Piccirillo) #15

Yesterday, Monday, first day back to carbs under 20, after 7 days of carbs between 75-200.

Today, Tuesday, morning breath reading was .2
Even before this experience—low carb only— my readings were .2 or .3 with an occasional .4
In thinking about this—I have to remember that my protein is between 112-130. BG is usually around 88-92 in the mornings- I don’t test it after that.
Weight was down by 2 pounds—the water weight gain.

I’d really be interested in others CKD experience. I’m going to start a thread and see if I can get positive input. I realize there are a lot of “nay sayers”—so I’m prepared to get negativity.

(Monica Piccirillo) #16

Thursday— today. Breath ketones on Wednesday we’re .2 both a.m and p.m. Today morning was .2 and .3
Scale weight is a pound less than the day I decided to go back to 100 +/- carbs.l. I hadn’t seen any progress but BF gain (not weight gain) on Keto — since December. I was doing high fat and low protein and I was not happy or satisfied. Changed up to higher protein (like double) and lower fat and I felt better.
I’m starting to think that my mental/stress level was very high when I started—around Thanksgiving. I was so rigid about my WOE that I was miserable. I didn’t let up and the holidays right up through Easter were not fun or enjoyable. Eating all that fat was depressing.
This whole idea of CKD has released me from my rigid behavior and certainly gives me freedom…making Monday through Friday easy to flow through. I’m looking forward to strawberries and a PBJ this weekend.

(Monica Piccirillo) #17

Now it’s Sunday morning.
Completed my usual Keto week with my breath readings still between .2 and .3
Began my carb increase on Friday night and will continue it until tonight. Breath readings yesterday and this morning are .2
I had a gain of 2 pounds this morning—attributing that to water weight.

(Monica Piccirillo) #18

Tuesday—I’ve enjoyed learning something about my body and mind with this adventure. Knowing that CKD is working for me on so many levels is great.
I’m not going to post anymore updates— I will continue to KCKO no matter what version of Keto.