Exhausted my daily protein, what fat to eat?

(Jane) #61

I plan on raising a few more chicks next year and I want “easter eggers”, which is a generic term for several mixed breeds that carry the Ameraucana blue gene. Their egss can be green, blue or pink. I am hoping for green or blue from at least some of them!

No, no, we cook it :slight_smile:
If pork is eaten raw, it’s smoked and salted very seriously.

(Allie) #63

I suspect that’s what Esme is but she’s a rescue, like all my birds, so I don’t know for sure.

(Robin) #64

How are your latest rescues doing? I remember one was needing special attention….?

(Allie) #65

They all have in different ways as they were so run down and neglected, but now I have just started to get the long-term hen hospital patient used to being outside again, very gently and slowly. It took six weeks to get her strength up and fix her prolapse, but now it’s stayed in for about a month so definitely fixed :grin:

Oh my grief…some hen has a sore arse after laying that!

Very productive hens you have. Curious colour as well (the egg I eman).

That looks like a bad ass…cockerel?

I wouldn’t mess with that- that’s a mean stare.

(Allie) #68

She’s a girl, and responsible for the green egg :grin:

This is my boy…

Feck!

That’s one hard animal right there!

I s he protective of his hens? Not hat they need it, after seeing the last hen…

(Jane) #70

Oh, a gold black-laced Wyandotte! such pretty birds.

I had 3, now down to 2.

(Robin) #71

Dang, that’s a good looking dude

(Megan) #72

I can’t contribute to the chicken/egg conversation. On the protein/fat conversation I was watching some youtube videos done by Sarah (known as “Carnivore Yogi”) yesterday. She eats a carnivore diet - zero carbs. In the 1st part of the video I’m linking she is talking about her ketone levels being low and it wasn’t until she ignored “the standard advice” re how much meat to eat and changed her protein/fat ratio to 20/80 that her blood ketones ramped up.

(1) WILL I STAY CARNIVORE FOREVER? //Why are my ketones low on the Carnivore diet? FAQS //Vlogmas Day 15 - YouTube

Also, my friend who lives with me has decided to stop eating ketogenically b/c she has continued to feel terrible and has lost way too much weight. Just as info she didn’t start keto to lose weight, she was wanting to see how much this way of eating positively impacted her fairly severe endometriosis and what affect it had on her unstable up/down mood throughout the day (she has Bipolar). She was in heavy ketosis while eating keto. Because of a history of severe anorexia nervosa (she’s been really stable to past 6 or so years) she was really concerned about refeeding syndrome if she started to increase her carbs so she decided to increase her protein instead. She has instantly dropped out of ketosis.

So, are these 2 woman oddities and all the “general population” has to do is keep their carbs very low, or is this amount of protein consumed a real thing?

I’ve also come across people talking about making sure you eat fatty protein, and add fat if the protein source isn’t fatty enough, in order to stay in ketosis.

What are peoples’ thoughts?

(Megan) #73

Kelly Hogan drives me bonkers (her voice and how she talks really irritates me) but here’s her and Amber O’Hearn talking about the whole protein/fat ratio debate. Long story short - it’s individual when it comes to what works best. It’s an interesting video to listen to.

(1) FAT VS. PROTEIN: The Great Ratio Debate. Advice from three 10+ year Carnivores on MACROS. - YouTube

(Allie) #74

He adores his girls yes, sometimes struggles to keep order with so many of them though, and tends to get his wattles in a twist about magpies / crows flying overhead. He will scream to warn the hens, and they all look at him asking what the fuss is about :rofl:

(Allie) #75

Is that what he is? I found him dumped. Tried a whole day to catch him before waiting for him to roost and climbing a tree in the dark to get him :rofl:

(Alex) #76

Magpies and crows are the most intelligent bird breeds. I have seen a couple that can even talk!!

(Allie) #77

They are yes, I look after many locally which (unfortunately for my rooster) is why they tend to come visiting me. I have one crow who has an extensive vocabulary of sounds he’s learnt from different places and when he sees me, he runs through them one by one until I give in and feed him. Admittedly sometimes I hold off just so I can listen to him :rofl:

One stays in ketosis even with zero fat… Maybe some numbers get better with more fat?
We eat fat because we need energy (and because it’s tasty and soft, at least it is a big factor in my case).

But each to their own. I never worry about protein unless it gets too high but if I don’t eat without need too often, it’s perfect.
I have no numbers, I can’t measure those but I feel okay, I got fat adaption with my usual high protein… It’s good enough for me.

And the ratio is very individual. My protein and calorie needs now demand me being lowish with fat. And my taste points at the same direction, how cool is that? And the lean pork I buy is among the cheapest foods, wow. I am lucky.

Oh, magpies and crows attack hens? I didn’t know that. Here the number one enemy is red foxes. We have quite many around here. Our cat attacked one when it dared to step on the terrace :smiley: Fierce girl.

(Allie) #80

No they don’t. They will steal eggs given the chance but don’t hurt the birds.

My Buddy just gets himself all worked up protecting his girls when they fly overhead or sit on the top of their enclosure. The hens aren’t bothered at all.