Exhausted my daily protein, what fat to eat?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

. . . especially when eaten with green ham!

I always thought you get the egg green with spinach…how’s the green ham done?

Wait…I keep forgetting we have search engines now. Just too lazy to do it sometimes!

What is a green ham?

A fresh ham, sometimes called a “green” ham, is pork at its most basic — not cured, not smoked, not cooked . The meat is so sweet and succulent, and the texture is meaty, not compact and slick as a cured ham often is. Also, the meat of a fresh ham remains white when cooked.

Nice!

Do these green ham and green eggs practices still persist?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

You’re getting way too analytical here, Sam-I-am! :rofl:

Personally, I agree with the poet: “I do not like green eggs and ham.”

Well, that’s the only place I’ve heard of it from, in my smal part of the world!

And i never really questioned what exactly it was…until now.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

Jebus.

Too analytical?

It sounds like the Massachusetts witch trials! (The egg dunking.)

Maybe we need ‘Continuous Ultrasound Hen Egg Mobile Testing Apps on Phones.’? :thinking:

LOL! Someone will actually look into that now.

With egg, its the other way around. Thanks to the Avidin.

I was referring to yolk only. I didn’t eat the whites.

The eggs are perfectly suitable to eat when not sinking but otherwise nice… I learned that if the yolk is intact, it’s usually good. Of course if it smells or looks off, I still don’t eat it :slight_smile: That’s maybe 1-2 eggs per year but usually it’s still good for the cats, I haven’t met a truly bad egg since years.
But not sinking? My eggs do that a lot. It happens when one keeps them in the cupboard for up to 1 month after buying :smiley: (It’s rare nowadays as I keep only 100-120 at home most of the time.)

A fresh ham, sometimes called a “green” ham, is pork at its most basic — not cured, not smoked, not cooked .

It was new to me though I remember reading about green ham once… But didn’t retain the information.
So it’s what I call pork thigh? As it is sold as pork thigh (mirror translation from Hungarian). Nice and very cheap cut (especially now that it has a price cap on it, it’s one of the cheapest meats. turkey is cheaper and of course chicken too. not the breasts of course).
Ham usually means the cured stuff to me, that can be hard or soft, lean or very fatty too… There is variety for sure.

Yeah, the yolk is more precious raw :slight_smile: (And way more precious than the white. I still respect both parts very much. Eggs are borderline sacred to me.) And the white has avidin so one can make an educated choice about eating them raw. I can afford eating as many as I fancy (well that’s not many) as I eat plenty of biotin.

(Allie) #54

I have a hen who lays green eggs…

(Jane) #55

I don’t know anyone who raises their own hens who doesn’t feed them layer feed from a feed store, including me. I supplement with scratch, dried meal worms, yogurt, tomatoes, bananas, lettuce and tomatoes. They have scratched their outer coop run down to dirt so not enough bugs to eat without supplementing feed.

I let them out in the meadow where there is plenty of green weeds to scratch in and bugs to eat but we have so many predators I only let them out when I am working in the garden. That isn’t enough natural food for them.

Their eggs still taste amazing and much better than the so-called free range eggs from the store that are so expensive.

That’s so cool! Never saw such eggs, just on photos, very rarely.

But I found a small blue bird egg once, that was great.

(Allie) #57

I don’t know how well this will show as her eggs are quite pale at the moment, but this is one of Esme’s green eggs.

Is the ‘green ham’ eaten raw by people?

Not cooked or cured I mean?

Raw pork?

(Alex) #59

That looks like a HUGE egg! And the color is strange, to me at least.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #60

“Green” in this context means uncured, not uncooked. You reminded me that years ago I fell in love with a cut of meat in Britain called “bacon” by the butcher, but completely unlike any bacon in the U.S. Shortly before returning Stateside, I asked the butcher if he knew what I should ask for here in the U.S. (the cuts are all different and have different names), and he suggested asking for “green back gammon.” Never found any over here, but at least I know what to look for, lol!

P.S.—When I first mentioned green ham, I was thinking solely of Dr. Seuss, so this thread has been an education!