Exhausted my daily protein, what fat to eat?

(Alex) #81

What??? Then why am I eating all this fat??

Because we need to eat…? And it’s pretty hard to do without much fat. But it depends. Some people do low-carb keto.

Ketosis itself happens on fasts too… We don’t get into ketosis because we eat lots of fat, we get into it because we eat low enough carbs (and protein may or may not have an effect but we need our protein in its healthy range anyway. protein is the only macro where there is a lower and upper limit alike. we just often don’t need to do anything to keep it there, it takes care about itself just fine in many cases).

I always try to lower my fat on keto, not raise but of course, it’s individual :smiley: I wish to lose fat and I always ate way too much of it (I still do but not as much as I would if I wouldn’t try to keep myself back). Fat is nice :smiley:
Some people do need to focus on fat and to eat as much as possible. Others just eat whatever and it’s perfect, the lucky dogs :smiley: And there are the rare people like me.
And even if someone needs to eat more fat, it can be done with better protein sources. Adding extra fat isn’t necessarily needed. Don’t overdo it. But eat enough of it. Most of us can’t afford tons of protein without problems (but I don’t like when it’s just wasteful either), we need enough fat as well. And most of us probably can’t even eat high enough protein to get even the right calories from them. And protein isn’t exactly to used up as fuel. The body can do it, sure but there is a price… So we need fat. We need some anyway, it’s an essential macronutrient and hard/impossible to avoid without great effort but on keto we usually eat way, way more of it. Especially if we don’t have a lot of extra fat to get much energy from it every day.

(GINA ) #83

I have a pretty-girl Wyandotte and that is what she looks like (except not a rooster). Her name is Tilly because she will ‘till’ up any fresh plantings she can get her feet and beak into. She lays lots of big, creamy beige eggs that are delicious.

I also have an Americauna that lays bluish green eggs. She is getting up there in years and I keep expecting her to quit laying, but she keeps on plugging along. She has slowed down some, but I still get 2-3 blue eggs per week.

I don’t know chicken breeds except the tiny Japanese ones, our neighbour had them, they were very pretty and adorable. Well it may not be a breed name but they are just called Japanese here and they are tiny and their base color is black.

I googled, it seems speckled Hungarian, yellow Hungarian and white Hungarian are breeds. They are super common. The yellow ones are extremely pretty, not like the others would be shabby, of course… :wink: I typically see a mix of these here.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #85

Do what works for you.

Along these lines, Gary Taubes quotes two medical doctors, one of whom eats an animal-free keto diet, and one of whom eats a plant-free/carnivore diet. Both of them say it’s not because of their belief system, merely because the way they currently eat makes them feel their best.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #86

Because fat provides energy, just as glucose does, but without the insulin spike.

If you are not eating carbohydrate, you need to replace it with fat, or your body will start to scavenge lean tissue. Under normal circumstances, the body does not metabolise proteins, because there is an extra energy cost in doing so: the amino acids need to be deaminated, then converted into either glucose or a fatty acid, and only then can they be metabolised. These extra steps carry an energy cost that must be deducted from the ultimate ATP yield.

The good news, however, is that it takes less than half the amount of fat by weight to yield the same caloric value as a given amount of carbohydrate. So for example, you can replace 300 g of carbohydrate with only 133 g of fat.