Exhausted my daily protein, what fat to eat?

(Bob M) #21

I don’t get concerned when I eat higher protein. I don’t add anything just to hit a “macro”, in fact have no idea what my “macos” are. If you find yourself not being sated with higher protein, though, you can reconsider. If that is the case, I would try more animal fat first, then protein. as recommended by Amber O’Hearn.

But eggs have two thirds of their calories from fat :smiley: You already eat the fat there!

It’s always so insane to me when I read (hinted or plain) that eggs have no or little fat. They have a lot, perfect ratio for my keto (well I often go lower nowadays).

(Robin) #23

When we are new to keto, we are naturally trying to hit all the right numbers and percentages that we read about.

But at it’s most basic premise, the only thing you MUST concentrate on is limiting your carbs.

Especially in the beginning.

The rest will come, IF you are still interested later. I counted my carbs in the beginning, got a good feel for how to do that, then stopped counting and never looked back. It’s been 2 years and 60+ pounds now. I will occasionally track a days intake and jump on the scale, out of curiosity, and I’m always right in the groove.

This can be the easiest thing you’ve ever done, if you allow it.
You got this!

(Allie) #24

For what it’s worth, when I’m tracking, I get between 150 - 200g protein, often even higher, and have no issues. Protein is essential so you always have to give your body what it needs rather than limiting to some made up number to complete an imaginary check box.

(Bob M) #25

This says eggs are about 61% fat:

https://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/generic/egg-whole-raw?portionid=11206

So, if you’re trying to sit a macro like 70 or 75 %, you’d have to add fat.

This is one reason I don’t “do” macros: eggs are perfectly fine and one shouldn’t have to add fat to them.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

You shouldn’t have to, no. But on the other hand, cooking them in bacon grease . . . yum! :grin::bacon:

(Bob M) #27

Or butter. There is a great recipe for “the best scrambled eggs” in here:

From what I remember, it adds a lot of cold butter at a specific time. Fantastic, really.

So, if you want to add fat, that’s one way to do it…deliciously.

Eggs are perfectly fine but we may or may not need to add fat to them. Or eat something fattier. 55-65% fat is okay for me now as my energy need is little, my protein need is apparently high (I may not use it but I get hungry if it’s not high) and I have extra fat - but if I had a high energy need, I could need 70, 80 or 90% fat for a proper protein intake. That’s one bit reason I consider fixed percentages (fixed for just about everyone, I mean) very wrong. And I am right, it is wrong.

I totally need to add fat if I make scrambled eggs though (technically I don’t but that’s the proper thing to do). I prefer adding fatty meat but it’s not always the case. Today I used lard I rendered from some 70/30 (overly fatty even for me… and it loses some when I fry it anyway) pork :slight_smile:
But my boiled eggs are fine. My “twice as many whites as yolks” sponge cakes are fine too - especially that I eat them with particularly fatty things. In the past I ate just above egg fattiness, now I have way leaner days quite often (it’s good, I pretty much need them for fat-loss).
But I still have a range. No problem with a fattier day but I can’t do 75% every day, that’s overeating for me and not good, not polite, not hedonistic. Maybe later I can do it, who knows?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

I don’t know if the Food Lab would agree, but I make my scrambled eggs with heavy cream (instead of milk, as my mother did, or water, as we are now told to do) and fry them in bacon grease (natch!).

I never learned how to fry an egg without breaking the yolk, and I like soft, runny yolks, so that is a serious deficiency of life skills, so far as I’m concerned. Guess I’ll just have to keep on scrambling instead of frying . . . (heavy sigh) (lol!). :grin: :egg::bacon:

Yes, always do scrambled eggs with plenty of butter, they turn out great.

Pre Keto, I used to use milk (normally skimmed) and they turned out too watery.
For me, salt/pepper and sometimes paprika or garlic are nice for varying them up sometimes (and spring onions).

Of course, bacon is the perfect accompanyment to said scrambled eggs.

(Alex) #32

That sounds really interesting, I’ve never tried that. I will try it today or tomorrow.

(Bob M) #33

And salt, which helps keep the proteins separate.

(crawford walker) #34

I am interested in this discussion of protein.
I have been keto for over 4 years and check my blood ketones every evening. I always keep my carbs under 20gm net. My ketone level varies widely and it is always due to my protein intake. Less than 50gm and my ketones are over 1.40. More than 70 and my ketones are 0.5 or lower. The only exception is if I take some MCT oil, that always makes my ketones skyrocket.
I can only assume that my body is really good at gluconeogenesis. I am a 77 yr old 70kg active man.

Oh, people put liquid into scrambled eggs…? I knew some dairy were possible but not that adding stuff is mandatory… I just fry my eggs, people do it like that here, of course there are zillion optional ingredients but the simple one is just fat and eggs and salt.

Water actually sounds bad as it waters down the flavor, makes the stuff even flowier… The eggs are watery enough… Dairy makes more sense, heavy cream is surely nice or sour cream but I put my sour cream on top :smiley:
I like runny yolks too :slight_smile: I like to put poached eggs into my soups… I can’t peel soft-boiled eggs (I can get it out with a spoon but that’s a chore) and don’t like sunny side ups so it’s either poached eggs or very soft-boiled eggs for me (or fried yolks or raw ones) if I want to enjoy runny yolks…
Scrambled eggs are versatile as they can be moist or super fried (I used to make them brown, now I prefer them softer).

Extra liquid… I don’t even put any into my pancakes :smiley: And our thin, crepe-like pancakes typically contain a lot. And flour. So pointless. I skipped the flour and the liquid, added some not so liquid dairy and voila. Best pancakes ever. For me, at least, my SO doesn’t touch them (but his pancakes still contain no added liquid and only a hint of flour. I have my limits at pancake making, 60% eggs is a minimum even if it’s not mine.)

Mmm, eggs. Most egg dishes of mine are less than 100% eggs but they still should be eggy :wink:

I haven’t eaten eggs in over a year, but when I did I ate the yolk raw, and got rid of the whites. My instincts had told me to eat them raw for some reason, and it turns out you really get every vitamin out of them that way. Only problem was that every so often I would get an off tasting yolk. Not sure what caused this. I think this is something you wouldn’t notice had you scrambled them up.

Voyager - I agree there doesn’t have to be a limit on protein. I think sometimes it can be confusing to tell what your body wants. I eat OMAD, with avocado and nut snacks here and there and I know there are times I struggle to figure out is it protein I want, or more fat? Am I full or not? Since I’m trying to gain weight, I’m just kind of rolling along with things right now, adding more of both until I figure myself out. I hope to get into some kind of pattern eventually that I feel comfortable with. Maybe that will happen for you too, and you will know just what to do to make yourself feel best.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #37

There are a number of possibilities. First, if you bought the eggs from a supermarket, eggs are in the supply chain so long, that I’m sure some of them are starting to go off by the time they come home with us, sit in our fridge for a while, and then finally get used.

On the other hand, if you bought them from a farm, then they are not likely to be bad, unless they sat in your fridge for months before use, so in that case the odd taste is probably from something the chicken ate. (That’s a guess, but reasoning from analogy, what cows eat definitely affects the taste of the milk—my mother would tell stories about having to keep the cows out of a certain pasture, because the scallions that grew there gave the milk a strange taste.)

Sometimes, however, taste is merely a matter of what we are accustomed to. My uncle had an egg farm when I was a kid, and so I grew up eating both fresh eggs and supermarket eggs and was able to enjoy both. My cousins, who ate only fresh eggs, could not abide the taste of supermarket eggs. My ex, who had only ever eaten supermarket eggs, could not abide the taste of fresh eggs. And then, of course, there is the Chinese delicacy, hundred-year-old eggs, which are definitely an acquired taste, lol!

I was eating vital farms organic.

I’d like to taste an egg someday that was given no supplemental feed whatsoever.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

The easiest way to do that is to keep your own chickens, assuming you have room to do so on your property. Be sure to check with your local government for the pertinent regulations before starting, however.

My rule of thumb around the suitability of eating an egg, my mum and sisters told me, was always see if it floats. I lifted the following from online as it eloquently conveys what I mean:

“To perform the float test, gently set your egg into a bowl or bucket of water. If the egg sinks, it is fresh. If it tilts upwards or even floats, it is old. This is because as an egg ages, the small air pocket inside it grows larger as water is released and replaced by air.”

Green eggs are a different matter…and should be explained by our USA friends on here. :slight_smile: