Exhausted and want to eat

(Jessica) #1

I was up with a grumpy baby and only slept for 4 hours last night. I’m exahusted today at work (obviously) and in the past I would crave carbs to give me enough energy to get through the day. I don’t want carbs but I have been SO hungry and I know it’s just my body’s way of letting me know that I need some energy. So… what to I do? I’ve already eaten more than I typically do and consumed my normal amount of caffeine but still “need” something and sleep is unfortunately not an option.
Background: I’ve been fairly strict keto for 5 months and with the increase in energy this is the first time I have been seriously sleep deprived in that time.

If you’re hungry, eat. This isn’t a starvation diet where you only eat a set amount of food and that’s it.

Just keep those carbs under 20g.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

I’d say eat something. Maybe a stick of cheese, some peanuts… And hydrate. Maybe also a short, brisk walk…?

I feel you. I have a 12-week old baby (and 3 other kids). My sleep is broken by walking to feed him.

(less is more, more or less) #4

As a father of three, who frequently worked third shift, I empathize. Yet…

If you’re fat-adapted, carbs will shift what sources your body uses for energy. Carbs are not a more potent energy source. The inverse is true. Enter that dance, and you’ll be back on the vortex of doom: carbs > hunger for carbs > carbs > hunger for carbs.

How do you know you’ve eaten enough? Are you eating enough fat? Good fat? Butter, coconut oil, tallow, etc?

Caffeine affects everyone in unique ways. It may not be helping – or hurting. I’m easier to tempt when I’m tired from sleep deprivation. That also hurts your body cortisol-wise. I’m sure increasing your anxiety about sleep deprivation is no help, either.

('Jackie P') #5

Poor you! Coping with a little baby - you probably need to eat more than you "usually do ".
Treat yourself to something nice. Make some cheesecake fat bombs! Melt some 100% chocolate into some cream and almond milk sweetened with erythritol. Indulge!
I do sometimes after a run of night shifts it just helps to pamper yourself a little! Xx

(Running from stupidity) #6

So if your body is telling you to eat because it needs energy, eat to give it energy.

(Michael King) #7

Perhaps…Perhaps I say: You may not be in ketosis. OR you might try this if you are sleep deprived:

Eat some strawberries and cucumbers then some bacon. In that order. Then water fast for 72 hours on salt water of the snake juice mixture 1/2 teaspoon potassium chloride and 1/2 teaspoon of pink salt per Liter of water.

Or Perhaps your electrolytes are off. Snake juice salt water again would fix you up. Sleep deprivation sucks and you definitely need a good night of sleep to reset. Best of luck to you friend.

(Laurie) #8

Sympathies. I’ve found that food really can make up for lack of sleep. But make it good (keto) foods! Good luck.

(Running from stupidity) #9

???

(Michael King) #10

Or it is your body saying, “Holy hell, the glycogen in our liver is almost gone and I’m about to flip into fat burn mode” If that is the case then you do need energy and you will get that energy from your fat. You have plenty of energy stored and ready to use, correct? You are sleep deprived that adds an extra layer of hell to this. If you fast past this and you are fortunate enough to sleep well tonight then you will feel awesome in the morning. I love the fasting. Good luck friend.

(John) #11

So eat.

my go to snack when I feel like you described is a hard boiled egg. it really does the trick!

(Jessica) #13

Thank you everyone! I did eat a lot of extra keto foods, drank another cup of coffee and survived the day. I managed to get a full 8 hours of sleep last night and woke up a half pound lighter. Guess all the extra food (no extra carbs of course) was needed.

(Running from stupidity) #14

Smart. Good work you.

(KCKO, KCFO) #15

Glad that worked. Women especially seem to have a hard time giving up CICO and accepting that fat is a great energy source for our bodies.

Also if you are nursing, Parent Magazine says you require 500 calories a day just to produce your milk.

So eat and hopefuly sleep well going forwards.

(Running from stupidity) #16

+1