Exercise?

(Rebecca ) #21

I don’t do any formal “exercise” but I love to walk outside and while home, I play Classic Rock music and break out dancing sometimes!
I fell down the stairs at work a year ago almost to the day. I finally recovered from the surgical knee repair and am getting back into shape (physically, mentally and spiritually).
I say do whatever works for you and that you enjoy doing!

(Carnivore for the win) #22

That is the key to exercise, and life, for me. Physical fitness does not mean a person is healthy. There is a lot more to it and it all ties together.

No, not at the moment. Some stretch of months I do…then some stretch of months I don’t.

(Marianne) #25

Rarely. I detest cardio and won’t do it. I do like light weight training and have a membership to Planet Fitness (30-minute workout), however, I have to fight my social anxiety disorder to go there, or go out walking in the neighborhood. I’m okay walking if I’m with my husband, but I really don’t enjoy it.

(Scott) #26

Lately it has been hand tool woodworking. Hand saws and hand planes are a wonderful workout.

(Laurie) #27

Shoveling snow with a small shovel. After half an hour of that, my body feels good – like it used to after an exercise session. It makes me realize that I’m not exercising hard enough during my “real” workout.

(Tim Cee) #28

I do push-ups and squats while fueling the kenworth.

(Bob M) #29

That is my kind of multi-tasking!

(Laurie) #30

@Tim_Cee When I was hired to work in a lumber camp kitchen, I was told to go to a certain place and hitch a ride on a company truck. “But make sure it’s a Kenworth, not a Mack.”

(Tim Cee) #31

Good advice

(George) #32

I use Fitbit challenges and Stepbets to stay motivated and walk everyday. Im a truck driver so I use the time when Im getting loaded or unloaded to walk around the truck.

(Bob M) #33

I did not realize there were that many truck drivers here. I’m in the process of listening to this:

I still have about half left. The part I listened to, I thought it was very interesting. My uncle wanted to be a “big-rig” driver at one time, but couldn’t.

At some point, they get into automation, but the first half that I’ve heard has only some of that.

(Bob M) #34

Oddly enough, I’ve been extending my exercise. Saturday, I did body weight training to failure for > 1 hour, then went jogging for 17 minutes. A total of 1:30. There was some time to get dressed for outside, where it was below freezing, and I was in the basement in shorts and a T-shirt.

I may add a day of jogging, to extend the number of days to 4/week. Not sure when I can fit that in, though.

My legs are in a bit of pain, as is a knee, after that jog. That’s the first time I’ve jogged in a while. Was riding my bike inside or outside instead.

(Butter Withaspoon) #35

I do completely ad hoc resistance training using body weight type of exercises and yoga for balance mobility and the feels. It often occurs to me that an actual program, or even a diary to record what and when I challenge my muscles would get me stronger, but I’m a messy sort of person.

In addition I love hiking in the mountains and usually get a hike in every weekend. During the week I might power up a local hill with the neighbours (who do NOT slow down and admire the fungi.

(Robin) #36

SO much better than a gym!

(Adrienne) #37

I found that I feel better and lose weight easier when I walk regularly. Doesn’t even have to be anything more than a 40 min walk of a few miles.

(Kenneth Russell) #38

Ll

(Bob M) #39

In 40 minutes, you’re walking a few miles? You’re walking faster than I jog! (I’m averaging 16 minutes a mile).

My walking speed is 5-6km/h, it depends. If the elevation isn’t too high, at least. I did hiking at 3.3km/h but it included breaks, eating, admiring the view and very much elevation. I always liked mountains. Oh and it lasted for 9-10 hours, I probably slow down there… Some others practically run through the most magical places where I had to stop admiring everything, I couldn’t help to pity them… But maybe it’s exercise to them. It was joyful excursion to me. Not too long, not too hard (Hungarian mountains are tiny and the paths are rarely very steep. or I didn’t meet those), not too fast…
But for a mere 1-2 hour walk, 5-6km/h is doable. My most comfortable speed. And my most comfortable distance too, any less and it feels nothing, more and I may get tired (especially since I sprained my ankle. it was 3 months and it still gets tired) and it takes much time anyway.

I can’t run long, my SO has a speed of 10-12km/h. Almost as my cycling speed. I meet many people cycling way slower than me but whenever I read about it, everyone is some half-pro one with a huge speed. Maybe only serious folks write about it, that’s possible. But still. It’s impossible to go way over 25km/h with my bike (sometimes I miss a harder gear. I only have 3 and almost always use the hardest) but considering the elevation here, my average is pitiful. I am a super slow biker anyway (just way quicker than many people, apparently) and need to stop every 1 km or something. My SO is a hero to put up with me, he is a quicker one, with more gears, way more experience etc.
Yeah it’s understandable why I tend to neglect cycling, walking is just nicer and I am not that bad at it :slight_smile: Not like it bothers me much but I really like walking. But cycling is different. I should go back to it. I can’t do much cardio while walking even with my tiny running mixed it while it inevitably happens while cycling.

(Bob M) #41

Well, I was a slow cyclist, too. Averaged 12 miles/hour in somewhat “hilly” terrain. It would take me 5 hours to ride 60 miles, over 8 hours to ride 100.

In Connecticut, I’d say what we have is “hills”. Nothing very big, though if you go cycling, you can gain quite a bit of overall elevation per ride, but I say it’s the same 300-600 feet over and over and over. I used to end at a very short but steep (calculated 11% grade) hill. But the steepest part was not very long, and the entire hill was not long. But you could easily reach 40+ mph coming down it, with no problem.

That’s what you get here: rolling hills.