Excited about first extended fast

I just finished my first extended fast. 32 hours. :grinning: I’m rather pleased and surprised that it was as easy as it turned out to be. I could actually keep going but decided that I didn’t want to push it the first time. I hit some periods of intense hunger but realized that it was happening around the time I usually eat. The feeling passed in short order and then I felt great. Evidently it wasn’t that I needed food in those moments but was used to getting it at those times. I think that’ll be helpful to know for future fasts that I do.

(Jill F.) #2

Doesnt it feel great! My longest has been 24 hours, and I throw them in when I hit a stall in my weight loss. The scale wont budge I throw in a fast and within 2 days I lose again. The amazing thing is no headaches, no feeling lethargic, nothing like the good old carb days!

It does feel great! I’m loving the fact that I have more energy. It’s also good to know that if the logistics of a particular meal are challenging then doing without is an option. I don’t have to worry that I won’t make it through whatever work thing is going on.

It’s an great way to get in tune with your body and mind. It taught me something I never would have understood about what real hunger is NOT (what I always thought hunger was before). It was so scary the first time I decided to take on a 24+ hour fast and now I’ve gone as long as 5 days. I never knew I had it in me!

Regular fasting has also helped me ratchet down my weight “set point” a number of times. It’s been more effective in that regard than anything else I’ve ever tried. I’m actually starting a 36 hour fast when I go to bed tonight (the first 24 hours will be a dry fast).

I’m finding this to definitely be true for me as well.