Excess Protein Discussion

(Rob Grantham) #41

Mr. Stefansson wrote, "The groups that depend on blubber animals are the most fortunate in the hunting way of life, for they never suffer from fat-hunger. This trouble is worst, so far as North America is concerned, among those forest Indians who depend at times on rabbits, the leanest animal in the North, and who develop the extreme fat-hunger known as rabbit-starvation .

Note how he speaks specifically about fat hunger… to me this says it all… if you are relying on leaner cuts of meat and not adding fat to the diet then constant fat hunger could be the case. I know in my own case i need to add butter especially when consuming leaner animals. If eating pork belly then i feel a good level of satiety.

Mr. Stefansson described a time of life as follows: “With a diet of lean meat everything was different. We had an abundance of it as yet and we would boil up huge quantities and stuff ourselves with it. We ate so much that our stomachs were actually distended much beyond their usual size - so much that it was distinctly noticeable even outside of one’s clothes. But with all this gorging we felt constantly hungry… One by one the six Eskimos of the party were taken with diarrhea.”

I think a diet with protei should almost always be accompanied by large amounts of fat. The ratio should lean to the majority of calories derived from fat. They mentioned that when making carribou permican this would be 80% calories from fat and only 20% from protein.

(mole person) #42

Very interesting post. My first instinct, actually, what’s to dismiss it. I’m very careful about picking very fatty meats and I tend to add fat and fatty sauces to those meats in an attempt to bring my fat up. So my first thought was, “he’s not talking to my situation.”

However later, I began to recall how much fat I used to add to my vegetables. I then looked over how my macros have shaped up over the last two weeks. What I found was that my protein tends to be high, sometimes as much as double what it should be, whereas my fat is very frequently under by 20 grams.

I’m going to try to make adjustments based on this. Thank you very much for stimulating this insight. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: