Everything sous vide!

sous-vide
sousvide

(Running from stupidity) #61

I’ll never promise ANYTHING about taste when I’m not cooking it, I’m WAY too old to fall for that. WAY too old.

OTOH, it’s insanely easy, it really is. VERY hard to mess up. (And if it happens, I want pics and an explanation :slight_smile:

So, cooking in plastic bags is different, but it’s amazing how good the meat can turn out.

If you want to really take it to the next level, sear the meat on both sides for just a minute or two, after it’s done cooking in the sous vide.

Oh, Man! :yum: :drooling_face:

(Running from stupidity) #63

Oh yes, you HAVE to do that.

(Troy) #64

Monoprice.com

Per the website
Available around Dec 18th
$99.99

(Mike W.) #65

And because it took them over two years from pre-order to actually shipping. But seriously, NO manual control? I’m out.

Hi all. Just got my sous vide stick and am super-exited about it!

I am doing most of the meat cooking for myself and family. I’ve started keto in feb 2018, mostly carnivore in aug 2018 and strict carnivore (with coffee though) jan 2019. Not a good or experienced cook AT ALL, have been eating mostly beef burgers last few months (and lots of eggs), mainly because I felt intimidated by different cuts and types of meat.
Hopefully that is about to change with SV. Also, I am thinking that cook - freeze - reheat (sear) process will help with food planning and meal organizing. We’ll see.

I have 4 newbie questions, for now:

1. If sous vide-ing is done in advance (probably weekend for the following week) would you put cooked bags in fridge or freezer?

2. Should I always use ice baths after SV if the food is not going to be consumed straight away?

3. Is searing essential and do you always sear? Don’t have great kitchen equipment (no outside grill or similar).

4. Do you think that vacuuming is essential, beneficial, matter of preference or not important at all - ziplocs are OK?

Thanks.

(Running from stupidity) #67
  1. I’d freeze them - they thaw very quickly in the sous vide again, and it increases your flexibility

2. I don’t, but then I cook for long periods at 53C, so maybe don’t listen to me

3. Yes, always. I just use a really hot iron skillet

4. Beneficial

(Jane) #68

I agree with what Juice said.

Vacuum bags are beneficial but not necessary. I use vacuum bags and also just displace the air in zip lock baggies.

If I am freezing meat I usually vacuum seal to prevent frost burn. If I am cooking fresh meat just purchased from the store or something thawed out in it’s original package I don’t bother vacuum sealing just to cook - baggies work fine.

I enjoy the hell out of my sous vide and everything comes out so perfectly cooked! It’s hard to screw it up - haven’t yet.

Just remember - the temp determines how done it is on the inside, the time the tenderness. Tough cuts take longer.

You can always take it out, slice some off to test for tenderness/doneness and pop it back in if it needs to cook longer.

Outdoor grills are nice for searing but a hot cast iron skillet works good too.

Pulled pork is super easy and one of my fav sous vide dishes.

Thanks to both of you.

(Jane) #70

Just make sure your bag is completely submerged. Sometimes I don’t get all the air out of a baggie and it wants to float- in that case I fill a bowl with water and set it on top to weigh it down.

(Jane) #71

I didn’t purchase the Rubbermaid tub and lid with the cutout made for the sous vide at first. I just used a deep roasting pan and covered with cling wrap and clothes pins. Works, but a real pain. And doesn’t seal well so you end up having to add water on long cooks because it evaporates.

The lidded tub does not have that issue and very convenient. But something you can consider down the road if you really enjoy cooking with your sous vide.

Thanks for this also. I was wandering that as well, does some of the air in a bag interfere with the sous vide cooking if the bag is fully submerged. You are a mind reader! :slight_smile:

(Jane) #73

Not that I’ve noticed.

Super positive experience with sous vide cooking so far!
Love everything about it: idiot proofness, simplicity, usability (I am not afraid of buying different types of meat (or organs)), convenience (cooking in advance!!), final output (getting just what you want every time (well still learning, so most of the time)).

So far I’ve cooked:

• chicken liver & hearts
  • beef short ribs
  • beef burgers
  • dry aged T bone
  • duck breasts
  • beef flank
  • pork chops

Loving it! :partying_face:

That’s great @Bozmond!

It really is a great way to cook. :+1:

(Ashley) #76

Just watch beef burgers if your not grounding them yourself they need to be cooked higher temps for safety is what I’ve read? I may be wrong?

(Ashley) #77

For a medium rare how long should i cook these for? Sous vide 1lb each. Their quite thick.

(Jane) #78

The cooking time doesn’t affect the doneness - only the temperature.

For tougher cuts of meat you need to cook longer.

I know - sous vide is an entirely different way of cooking.

(Jane) #79

Medium rare would be around 135F

Check out this thread. I pushed pics of some of my beef and the temps. The London Broil was cooked for 24 hours and still red-pink inside

(Ashley) #80

Yeah I have it at 135, I was just wondering how long I should cook it for! Been about 8 hours in so far! I’ll leave it overnight!