Erythritol - tired the next day!

newbies
sweeteners
food

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #1

Hello all!

I’m not a big eater of anything sweetened with erythritol, stevia, etc, I’ve had the occasional shortbread cookie with little to no effect probably because there wasn’t much in them, but last night I made my colleagues a batch of lemon cheesecake fat bombs that they’ve been bugging me to make…I didn’t eat any of them but I’ll admit I did lick the spoon…a lot! :joy:

Fast-forward to today and I am surprised at how immensely tired I feel - I’m never ever like this! I have enough energy and motivation to get through the day, but not today! I’ve taken all my electrolytes as normal, my lunch consisted of all healthy fats and protein as per usual…in fact I’ve done nothing different to any other day! I was so sluggish I couldn’t even be bothered to do my workout at lunch…could this be connected to the erythritol I ate last night?

Has anyone else experienced this delayed reaction? I can only assume there is a direct connection as I experienced something similar a few months ago after the first batch of fat bombs I made. I literally only ate one because I had a feeling the sweetener was to blame.

Would like to hear other people’s experiences and whether or not I’m just imagining things!

(Daisy) #2

My problem with erythritol is it makes me want MORE and MORE. Just like sugar. I have multiple reactions with sugar (stomach pain, face breaking out, addictive reaction, sugar crash, massive blood sugar dips, etc). The only one I get with erythritol is the addiction and it’s easier to break than sugar, but still present enough for me to avoid it.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #3

It’s just not worth it is it? I’m with you on this one - best to just avoid it if I don’t want the adverse effects. I really do feel after today that erythritol has no place in my diet!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Maybe stevia or monk fruit is better for you than sugar alcohols Clare. Do they all affect you that way? Swerve (Sucralose), allulose? I haven’t ever had any reaction but it’s awesome that you’re listening to your body.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #5

Thank you for this - Funny you should mention monk fruit…I was wondering if maybe something more natural would work better for me.
I’ve always loved keto for the energy but today my productivity levels are at zero and it’s disappointing!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

Always read the labels well with alternative sweeteners, sometimes stevia and monk fruit are mixed with sugar alcohols when it’s powder. I recommend the liquid dropper bottles for stevia or monk fruit. And people who eat keto still come down with bugs like the flu or colds. Everyone burns out now and then myself included. I wish every day was optimal but life just isn’t that way!

(Daisy) #7

Keep in mind every monk fruit I’ve ever bought is either mixed with erythritol or with stevia lol

(Central Florida Bob ) #8

FWIW, erythritol doesn’t affect me at all. No sense of being tired, no blood sugar reactions, nothing. It just adds that pleasant sweetness that I still like in coffee or tea.

I know this is a very individual thing, but for me it’s just about ideal.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #9

I’ll definitely do some research on the monk fruit then…hopefully it’s available in the UK I’ve not looked for it before?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #10

You have a good point about the burning out too…I caught too colds this Xmas, I couldn’t believe it!

I use just one small squirt of liquid Splenda in my once daily coffee with 1 tbsp of HWC. Sweetens it just a tad and I have no side effects that I know of or can discern. It is Sucralose based without the maltodextrin found in granulated Splenda. I also use Swerve brown sugar and Swerve confectioners sugar in the rare treats I make. Maybe because I use so little, less often that I have no side effects.

Clare, what else did you eat or drink the night before?

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #12

That actually sounds like the perfect cup of coffee!! I drink mine black mostly. Ever since I kicked my addiction to zero calorie Monster energy drinks back last summer, I’ve not put a single artificial sweetener in my mouth. Other than a bit of erythritol! It’s the only explanation for the random weight gain I experienced (I was low carb, ate no sugar) and I’m positive the energy drinks were to blame.

Dinner the night before was nothing out of the ordinary - salmon, avocado, homemade mayo and a left over slice of keto bread.

(Kitty) #13

I have had similar experiences and wondered what the culprit could be. I’m extremely fatigued today and had cookies made with erythritol last night. The only other thing I had different from normal was Fage 2% plain Greek yogurt, and I’m not sensitive to dairy so I can’t believe that did it, unless it was because the yogurt put me over on my protein. Have you had anymore exposures to erythritol to lead you to believe it’s the cause of the fatigue? I’d love to finally figure out what the cause is. I rarely eat erythritol, and I just figured if I didn’t eat much of it I would be fine. Thanks for your post!

Sucralose and Stevia both do this to me, I used a packet of zero calorie propel electrolyte stuff once and was almost asleep about 20 min later for no reasonable explanation other than the artificial sweetener. Pre-Keto any diet Pepsi products caused me a crazy insulin response and bg crash…sucralose!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #15

Sorry to hear you’ve felt like this too…although it’s good to hear that I’m not the only one! :laughing:
I’ve not had an experience like this since, only because I’ve avoided it - I have since done some experimenting and just put less in my recipes. I had erythritol in some shortbread cookies and I even made some blondies this weekend with no ill-effects which has pleased me (just because it’s nice from time to time to have a treat), but these didn’t have as much erythritol in the recipe, they were only mildly sweet. The times I felt horrible the next day were when I ate fat bombs that were really sweetened with erythritol - looking back now they were super sweet! So I’m thinking it was the concentration of the stuff that caused it.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #16

Oh no! I’ll bear stevia in mind too then! I’ve not really experimented much with sweeteners since my awful experience with the fat bombs!
I made them sweetener free once and they were super yum!

ClareBear: This is exactly my experience with erythritol. It’s difficult to find other people with the same results. My friend gave me some chocolate/walnut squares made with Lily’s chocolate, which has a lot of erythritol. I ate quite a few and the next day felt like I did not have the usual “get up and go” feeling. I felt ultra-sluggish. Lazy mind and body, and I just couldn’t decide what to do. A few months rolled by, and again my friend offered the same chocolates, he said they never bothered him in any way, so I thought maybe I just had an off day or something, so I ate again quite a few chocolates, and I had exactly the same feelings the next day. So many Keto people use erythritol, and I began to think that maybe I could just get gradually used to it, but no, every time I tried to eat something with erythritol (it was cheesecake last time), I feel extremely sluggish the next day. So, for now, tentatively, it’s only stevia or monk fruit for me.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #18

Oh good it’s a relief to know I’m not imagining things!!! Your experience is exactly the same as mine!
Now I’m wondering if monk fruit might be an option for me, however it doesn’t seem that easy to find here in the U.K.
I can handle the occasional cookie made of erythritol but it is literally no more than two because I know I’ll feel horrible the next day.

(Susan) #19

Sorry to hear that, erythritol has been a Keto lifesaver for me when I want something sweet (the peanut butter chocolate chip cookie recipe from this website is still a favorite for me & my husband). Hope you find a sweetener that’s perfect for you!

(Sinclair Boyd) #20

Yeah I googled ‘Erythritol tired’ and it brought me here lol. I’ve been trying stuff with erythritol such as Highkey cookies, Lily’s Brownies, and HighKey hot cereal, I noticed that if I have it in high quantities (like over just 1 serving) I would feel cold and REALLY tired. But my symptoms are different from what I read from others because I get tired within an hour or two after I consume erythritol, not delayed ‘till the next day. And it’s weird, because when I sleep for 2-3 hours, I’m back to feeling normal waking up. No longer cold, no longer tired, but I do have a slight stomach ache. Nothing crazy but it’s present.

It sucks though because I really like Highkey products because they taste amazing, but I can’t sacrifice feeling like this and potentially harming my body. I’m 100% sure it’s the erythritol because my body never feels like this with any other food. Even if I was to eat a non keto buffet with carbs, I wouldn’t get these chills and tiredness.

As of now other sweeteners have not effect on me. I tried Magic Spoon cereal and they sweeten it with Allulose, monk fruit, & Steviol Glycosides, and I feel 100% fine. And that was after 2 bowls/2.5 servings.

But if you have no effects from Erythritol, I wouldn’t worry. But if you’re one of those with effects, you might wanna stay away. Hope this helps!